to scruff or not to scruff...  

96 members have voted

1. 1. yes or no wether you have done or would do.

• yes
    • no.

The reason this has happened is the dog is growling a people, you, etc, while eating or your eating.

The other reason is your dog is attacking livestock and wont listen to reason......

In most food cases the dogs is showing you that they are the boss! While it needs to learn that you are the alpha male, and that he/she is sub to you and that it takes command of you.

Scruffing is where you grab the dog by the fur on the back of his/her neck and push the dogs face to the floor, till it shows a sign of submission. (especially when a pup, no violence is shown, no hitting, just a scruff and a firm voice of "no"...)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

umm scruffing doesnt mean pushing its face in the ground.. i scruff mine.. carrying around by the scruff cos its handy tells the dogs whos boss they dont seem to mind.. i would defenitly push its face in the ground and make it roll over if it growled at people..

umm scruffing doesnt mean pushing its face in the ground.. i scruff mine.. carrying around by the scruff cos its handy tells the dogs whos boss they dont seem to mind.. i would defenitly push its face in the ground and make it roll over if it growled at people..

umm.. :blink: !

it dosnt just involve that tho dsent it Rugersrob .. when you think about it..

its a little shake too and that it is the way it is done!

and always been done ...by the pack leader.

all the best,

lofti

The reason this has happened is the dog is growling a people, you, etc, while eating or your eating.

The other reason is your dog is attacking livestock and wont listen to reason......

In most food cases the dogs is showing you that they are the boss! While it needs to learn that you are the alpha male, and that he/she is sub to you and that it takes command of you.

Scruffing is where you grab the dog by the fur on the back of his/her neck and push the dogs face to the floor, till it shows a sign of submission. (especially when a pup, no violence is shown, no hitting, just a scruff and a firm voice of "no"...)

You know there really is no comparison between the 2 events you have asked about either.

Your questions make as much sense as your training.

It's not even that 6P .... have I ever scruffed a dog? Yes. Would I ever scruff a dog? Yes.

Would I scruff a young pup displaying perfectly natural behaviour over it's food? Would I fook as like.

The poll question is misleading and erroneous.

And encouraging people to scruff their dogs no matter the circumstances is irresponsible.

When my terrier bitch showed aggression over her food dish i simply booted it across the kitchen ( the dish not the pup before you start) :laugh:

i yelled leave it , did it about half dozon times then i was able to take the dish off her while she ate her food with no problems

i voted no to scruffing as i havent neede to scruff the dogs here , i just speak in a stern voice to them & they behave sometimes :laugh:

I've twice scruffed a dog - both occasions were long ago. In both cases it didn't work ie it didn't change the behaviour. Over the years I've come to the conclusion that if you have to scruff a dog to show it you're the boss you're probably not the boss anyway. I'm not soft with my dogs and I'm pragmatic about dog training and willing to do what works, especially in extreme situations like stock chasing, and I do agree that dogs need to understand who's in charge, but I think that's a fairly subtle process and by the time you need to do something as heavy handed as scruffing you've failed anyway. As for scruffing a puppy, I can't think of any situation where I couldn't come up with a better response than that.

I think the phrase 'dog is attacking livestock and won't listen to reason' is an interesting one - do people expect their dogs to listen to reason?!

interesting subject, positive training methods are the key, aswell as not setting the dog up to fail.

I will admit I have scruffed and to be honest I am ashamed of it,didn't get me anywhere and set me back a few months with training due to losing a bond with my bitch, heavy handed methods are no good.