to scruff or not to scruff...  

96 members have voted

1. 1. yes or no wether you have done or would do.

• yes
    • no.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the case I believe the OP is referring to scruffing in the sense that it's supposed to somehow convey alpha status and pack leadership, and requires that you do it harshly. That is NOT what I would do.

I've grabbed my dogs by the back of the neck to get hold of them, get their attention in order to stop them in their tracks - when a bitch picks up her pup in this manner the pup stops and goes limp, to be carried off by the mother. She does not do it with force and malice. I do not grab them furiously, rub their face into the ground in a effort to tell them I'm the boss.

They know I'm the boss because I teach them that with leadership, boundarys and patience - and firmness when required.

I think the phrase 'dog is attacking livestock and won't listen to reason' is an interesting one - do people expect their dogs to listen to reason?!

Excellent point SW ....

I think you've got to tailor discipline to the individual dog. Some dogs respond to the same methods in totally different ways. Some dogs need more physical reinforcement than others.

Depends on the dog in question, my collie grey would never forgive me if i scruffed her :o:D

Couldn't agree with you more, i've scruffed my labrador (but my definition of scruffing is holding the dog with the srcuff and placing it back where it was, not shaking the living daylights out of the dog!!). I'd never scruff the whippet though she'd never forgive me, all thats needed with her is a different tone of voice...

I'm firm on my dogs but never hard on them. They know i'm the pack leader and its not very often they try taking the piss lol

Depends on the dog in question, my collie grey would never forgive me if i scruffed her :o:D

Couldn't agree with you more, i've scruffed my labrador (but my definition of scruffing is holding the dog with the srcuff and placing it back where it was, not shaking the living daylights out of the dog!!). I'd never scruff the whippet though she'd never forgive me, all thats needed with her is a different tone of voice...

I'm firm on my dogs but never hard on them. They know i'm the pack leader and its not very often they try taking the piss lol

Absolutely agree.

If I scruffed my whippet - even tho he is hard as nails :laugh: :laugh - the damage to the relationship would be lasting. Same goes for the lurcher.

Absolutely agree.

If I scruffed my whippet - even tho he is hard as nails :laugh: :laugh - the damage to the relationship would be lasting. Same goes for the lurcher.

Who the f**k said anything about shaking the dog!!! Your at it again, changing the meaning! Lurchergurl,(dont really want to use that name, as your not) you told me not long ago your dog wasnt to clever with livestock!! You also asked me to move my dog away from yours as it wasnt to sure with other dogS, no wonder. Get them out running first before you condem anybody elses training love!

The poll is 70 to 7, think we will leave it there. Also had a chat with many guys at the E D R D Show this weekend, most just laughed but most were real workers!

If you're trying to imply that 'real workers' agree with scruffing dogs and anyone who doesn't isn't a 'real worker' then I can't agree with you at all. I've grown up with men who work their dogs, some of them would scruff a dog and some wouldn't dream of it. I've also seen some pet owners scruff whereas others never would. This isn't about 'real workers' or otherwise it's about different approaches to dog training and different ideas about how you establish your authority.

I have met many people who boast about never raising a hand to there dogs which is a fair comment and is very commendable, as long as they have well trained obedient dogs.

Then again when I see their dog is a lumbering out of control menace then it's not such a big boast!

Shepp

The poll is 70 to 7, think we will leave it there. Also had a chat with many guys at the E D R D Show this weekend, most just laughed but most were real workers!

Real workers, as in they worked at the show? ;)

I surgest you read the post about the E D R D Show last week, and look at the pictures......

If you're trying to imply that 'real workers' agree with scruffing dogs and anyone who doesn't isn't a 'real worker' then I can't agree with you at all. I've grown up with men who work their dogs, some of them would scruff a dog and some wouldn't dream of it. I've also seen some pet owners scruff whereas others never would. This isn't about 'real workers' or otherwise it's about different approaches to dog training and different ideas about how you establish your authority.

Nope not implying that at all. Wow you grew up with men who dogs....... I agree with you. some do, some dont but the ones that dont dont usually condem it or anything, until they have tryed something, what works for one person might not for the other. If you grew up with dog men, you most certainly will have seen alot worse going on than just scruffing!! That when it gets serious...

I love it how people try and put words in your mouth and change it around on here. lol.

I surgest you read the post about the E D R D Show last week, and look at the pictures......

One of my mates went to that show - her dog was reserve champion in the lure coursing - never worked a day in his life :clapper: