1st payed rabbiting job

a while back, richie (forum member) decieded to give up pest control for a while, but had just placed some adverts in his local papers, being the good mate that he is, he kindly phoned the advertising section, and put my number on the advert instead of his, well a few days ago I had a call from a lady that had a few rabbits on their paddock/field.

after chatting with her and telling her of all the different forms of rabbit control, she settled on ferreting, as advised by other members, my quoted price was accepted, wether it was 1 or 100's of rabbits caught, I'd quoted £60 for 3 hours ferreting, as they only had one hedge needing doing, me and the daughter alix got there this morning at 9am, very nice couple living in a converted barn type place, we ferreted the hedge and removed four large rabbits, had hoped for more, but thats life, we ran 3 jills and a hob through a number of times, and only had to dig 6" to one that TED (richies fert) had killed under and moved on

the couple were well happy and I even convinced them to try eating rabbit, which they hadent done till today, they asked if I would prepare one for them, while they watched, and with a few tips on cooking, they were happy,even said they definatly wanted me back in the winter time,

post-5267-1248537201_thumb.jpg

post-5267-1248537219_thumb.jpg

how many more rabbits do you reckon was there. just wondering if thats all they were seeing either way you won a watch.

shit loads :D there house is surrounded on three sides by open fields, and by the looks of it, most are coming in from other areas to feed on their nice grass and flower beds, that hedge is the only area they hav'ent rabbit proofed, so the rabbits will defo still come back, but they were happy with the job/charge, and as stated, want me back

well done i bet you there nothing more satisfying than getting paid for what you love i bet you would of done it for free anyway lol

I had a caller/customer very simular to this a few weeks back, just had one warren in a paddock that needed ferreting, at the time I offered it to another member, as talking to the customer, you could tell that not only would it have been a nightmare job, but they really did'nt want to pay, and I didnt want to do a round trip of 80 miles for one warren, the other member from here went to look at the job, with the hope of getting it as a "permission", but he too walked away, to many hassel's even for free ferreting

A nice bit of NET working well done :D

cheers, the net in the picture (with my daughter) was brought second hand, for £130 100yds with double bagging and inc poles and basket, and it really is a lovely net to use, the opposite side nets were made up by myself, using poles and basket from MAGNUMS, 25yd and 40yd, Im toying with the idea of removing the poles, as I have another 100yd longnet sitting in the shed

cheers, the net in the picture (with my daughter) was brought second hand, for £130 100yds with double bagging and inc poles and basket, and it really is a lovely net to use, the opposite side nets were made up by myself, using poles and basket from MAGNUMS, 25yd and 40yd, Im toying with the idea of removing the poles, as I have another 100yd longnet sitting in the shed

i'd do it for free, where i am anyways, there is no rabbits left. Too many people take the lot instead of a couple.

i'd do it for free, where i am anyways, there is no rabbits left. Too many people take the lot instead of a couple.

Thats the general idea when people are pest controlling.

Stubby, dont you find the rabbits just running the hedge line and down the next hole if you set the net along it like that? Or did you have it purse netted too? I have only done one ditch like that ferreting and they all run up the hedge line and into the next holes.

Stubby, dont you find the rabbits just running the hedge line and down the next hole if you set the net along it like that? Or did you have it purse netted too? I have only done one ditch like that ferreting and they all run up the hedge line and into the next holes.

yes and no, on that particular hedge, I couldent get any stop nets through to section it up, but had capped the ends so to speak, with only 20 or so holes and running 4 ferts, I took the chance that they would be too much hassel, a couple bolted the length, then went back down, but think we got them all in the end, the big hob that I saved till last tends to kill underground and move on,

on other hedges though, I do try to get a couple of stop nets across them,

as for purse nets, Im affraid after using a longnet, and then moving on to quickset longnets, the purse nets got forgotten about, couldent stand putting loads down, only for ferts to dislodge them, I much prefer letting the ferts have a free run of warrens so to speak, and just use the longnets

or maybe Im just a lazy bar steward :icon_redface: