fresh water eels.

Guest rodsmith

don,t let the carp heads hear that one mate , i here they kill most of carp caught over there as they are a big pest and have took over most water ways killing most native fish . ive also heard people get paid to go a kill them is this correct :D

It certainly is, Its illegal to release carp alive in any waters.They must be killed and disposed of. Mostly used for crayfish bait or fertilizer. (Charlie carp)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Guest rodsmith
I know of a really good lake for eels but dunno where you live? might be a bit of a mission for you!
Wheres that then ? Fancy some more eel fishing

had a night at them last night.only got the 1.weighed 3lb 10oz.proper short fat fucka.

Had a mate who was supplying pie/eel & mash shops. He used to fish Thames at Erith just down from oil seed factory using ledgered lob worms at night.

Allways caught plenty about 5/6 years ago. Not seen him since so I don,t know what its like now. Seems to be plenty of smaller ones in the river in our village ( River Test ). Cheers

Guest rodsmith
Had a mate who was supplying pie/eel & mash shops. He used to fish Thames at Erith just down from oil seed factory using ledgered lob worms at night.

Allways caught plenty about 5/6 years ago. Not seen him since so I don,t know what its like now. Seems to be plenty of smaller ones in the river in our village ( River Test ). Cheers

where on the test are you chap? anywhere near the mayfly?? a chap in our town runs a fishery near the mayfly.he has a stretch by it and a lake.ive never fished either,tempted to try the lake if it has the eels he says.have you any knowledge of the lake??

I read somewhere that Eel numbers have seen such a decline that the current UK population of freshwater Eels have fallen by some 85% over the last 25 years.

There have been various theories offered for this decline ranging from issues in the Saragasso Sea where the Eels go to breed, to over fishing by Elvermen, i have yet to hear of a definative reason for this decline or indeed whether it is reversable.

I always used to catch more Eels than anything else as a youngster in the 1970's, last year i saw just the one solitary Eel.

Heres one for the westmidlands boys, go to pinvin in evesham turn right at the cross roads and go down the lane to the gates, there you will see a static caravan and a man name Ken.you got slack water to the left and a bit of a weir to the far right.

look to the bends in the river where the water has under cut the banks on oposite side [40 foot] put a dead gudgeon or small bleak close to the undercut and be patient,ive had them over 6 pound and have been told by the caravan park manager ,people have brought them to him to weigh and gone to 6.5 lbs of this stretch ,worms and maggot wil be plagued by bootlaces all night . and the best thing is he only charges you 4quid.