COURSING DOGS

ALRIGHT PEOPLE,,,i was havin a bit chin wag with my mate tonight and he was on about the price of lurchers and coursing dogs,,i have had lurchers for a while know and only ever paid £100 for my dogs not that i wouldnt pay more i just knew the people who bred them..ive never had an all out coursing dog only what i call allrounders which i may add caught hares and other big stuff pre ban...anyway,,the conversation drifted into the price of quality coursing dogs to which we`ve both heard of people paying for thousands for well bred uns..so,my question is! how much would or have you paid for your dogs.? and have dogs you have paid good money for failed to perform,,,

cheers

scotty :drink:

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thats true,see a lot of people on these sites are only into there dogs for a few yrs and wouldnt know how to bring a pup on to its full pertential so they pay the money for these dogs,i breed mine and

Posted Images

Lad I know paid big bucks for a dog and it turned out to be shit, can you really tell what way a dog will turn out if you pay big bucks for it, a good bitch and sire don’t make for good pups, the line can help, but can you put your life on the pups coming good. I paid very little for my bitch and she is onto hares/bunnies, no problem.

Good question, and I am sure we will have some who will differ on this one.

£10,000 to £15,000 holy jesus that is a lot of money!!!!like you say these are all out hare dogs that can make the owner a lot of money am i right in thinking? but christ that is a huge risk to take on a dog,,it could be the best hare dog on earth and pick up a nasty knock which may spoil the dogs ability..fair play to people who have forked out that much money and its paid off.... :icon_eek:

scotty

Edited by scotty3968

years ago i went to lurcher coursing and watched these dogs course hares in the uk,these dogs run for two or three minutes on a hare,they were something else,and all had suluki in their makeup,now where i hunt i could,nt see these dogs coming to terms with a hare for the fields are a little smaller than the land these dogs were running on at the time,while i was in the uk watching these hybrids and longdogs course,i noticed that they run on arable land and as far as the eye could see that had no ditches or drains for a hare to make good their escape,i have bred suluki x greyhounds in the past and i found that only a few of these make the grade for small fields and their quarry [the hare]and the others made the grade on bigger lands where they could come to terms with their quarry,and i know that some of these went to gambling men and made them richer,as for the price for dogs well 150 punts at that time was very expensive for a dog.

the price of a dog all depends on the demand for it, and the amount of money the buyers have, its the same with everything i once saw a single garage in chelsea sell for £600,000 pounds for a feckin garage :icon_eek: but that £600000 to him would be like £6000 to people like us

a good dog can earn you a lot of money someone i know owned a racing greyhound that smashed a track record at a really young age he was offered £10,000 and he took it, which he thought was good but that dog went to the states won loads of races and made the new owner £1000s and £1000s in stud fees look at a dog like droopys vieri(not sure of spelling)

1000 pound stud fee and something like 150 litters , a good dog will be worth every penny

i wouldnt know the exact figure but at a guess id say the fettle bitch has changed hands for around the 20g mark in her lifetime,STs tip i believe sold one time for 13g and quickly made his new owner 8g of it back and i was walking back across the field in the forley lucky ran in when i heard m parish refuse 10g for his dog and the bloke was upping the stakes trying to convince him to sell. many other folk have been offered very good money and have not sold.

Marcus must have done well out of stud fees a around £3oo a pop,Lucky covered a lot of bitches ,I beleive.

Guest markbrick1

did len or ginger french pay a lot of money for a coarsing dog???????????????i heard he did?? and since i only knew len from the terrier days 20 yrs ago i didnt ever get in to talking lurchers much with him,besides 2 yrs ago he offered me 2 saluki x pups free out of top stuff,so he said :laugh: ,and there was good and bad in this bloke but in my eyes more good so we dont need to slag him of to much,all the question was is did he pay big money for a coarsing dog?and anyone know the figure i heard £10,000