Contingency Plans

58 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Would,nt say I,m nuts or a prepper just don't like what the modern world has become and think it's time the reset button was pushed, my survival bag is exactly that, I have gone a pisser twice in the last year smashing my ankle quite badly on one occasion and dislocating my shoulder and severing a tendon  on another,  so my survival bag comes with me everytime I go out alone, or I could sit in moaning and growing fat like many modern folk do, also think peat for the fire is cut in blocks and dried out , don't put John innes no3 potting compost in your fire it  could get messy 

The peat you burn is different to the peat they bag for gardens.

As you say, the stuff you burn is also in blocks.......the stuff they bag for the garden is I beleive the over burden on the top of the stuff you burn.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Zombie apocalypse aint going to catch me out,just done a quick inventory of my bug-out bag and tried it on for size  haven't added the kitchen sink yet.  

I am only connected to electric and phone and obviously mains water everything else is mine and I can provide for myself. So, I can do without phone, water is not a problem to harvest as it falls

Ok, brace yourselves, another one of my ludicrous conspiracy theories........ The powers that be don’t want anyone to be self sufficient.......that want you on the wheel of mortgage, paying the u

Posted Images

is this the uk were on about,or the russian steppe...lol..well i'll be dossing.i mean sleeping in the car on the drove at stonehenge  for the solstice..i have cheap noodles /beans/and fire..oh,,and a bitta smoke..whats my chances of survival...hahaha..

• Like 2

Me neither and will have to attempt to burn some garden peat just to confirm to myself, I thought it wold have to much moisture in and would go straight through the grate, I,m not surprised they are from the same source but thought the cutting and preparation process would make one good for the fire and one the garden ? Off to ask google 

16 minutes ago, WILF said:

Didn’t know that mate 

Garden Peat is 95percent water by weight most of  which has to be removed before it's a fuel so what was originally said is correct you can't burn a bag of garden centre peat on a fire that's why the bricks are dug and dried you can also dry out and burn cows shit in much the same way 

14 hours ago, WILF said:

Just Definitely the same mate, it’s fine  in a wood burner, open fire or whatever.

its cleaner than bloody coal that for sure but it burns similar in that it glows rather than burns with a flame.

It smell nice too 

Well used it last night mate. Definitely be getting more peat. Lasted for ages burnt well. Got a big bag for £6.50. Some of it bit damp not sure if its normal, but still burnt. 

I used it with the oval coal things. 

Those hotties are quite good along with those fire logs which i use to get my fire going. Then just shut the doors and turn it down.

Btw read up on peat. Apparently few people in Ireland kicking up f**k about the use of peat. Wiping out wildlife etc etc. But i think in the UK a lot is imported from scandanavia. 

Just now, scothunter said:

Well used it last night mate. Definitely be getting more peat. Lasted for ages burnt well. Got a big bag for £6.50. Some of it bit damp not sure if its normal, but still burnt. 

I used it with the oval coal things. 

Those hotties are quite good along with those fire logs which i use to get my fire going. Then just shut the doors and turn it down.

Btw read up on peat. Apparently few people in Ireland kicking up f**k about the use of peat. Wiping out wildlife etc etc. But i think in the UK a lot is imported from scandanavia. 

Some people get paid to not cut their bog mate but peat (turf) is part of the furniture here and almost everyone uses it.

Its not very eco friendly but you have to cut so little of the bog to make a years worth of turf that it don’t really notice......as I say, I own 2 bogs and I will never ever run out.

• Thanks 1

Were the feck do you pay £20 for a bag of coal? I have two woodburner,s very rarely buy anything but never more than a tenner if I need an odd bag, my lads have a scaffolding firm and most of my wood is the split ends off the planks, burns nice and slow and no need to season suplimented with the odd fallen tree I happen upon, surely at that money it's cheaper putting the heating on I have woodburner,s because it's free heat 

15 hours ago, Chaff said:

Think its safe to say that those that live closer to nature will be the ones that would stand a chance of surviving an apocalyptic scenario.

I think it is a better bet to say anyone stuck on a computer all day gassing all day about surviving ain't got a hope.

• Haha 1