Future X Maybe

No, those are three of the ten or so pictures I've taken of him in his lifetime. I take some pictures of my dogs here at home for my records but very rarely think to take my phone out while I'm out working them. Chalk it up to the generation I was born in. I'm not old yet but it isn't far away. I'm 47 but I feel like I'm 30. I still remember dialing phones and then feeling like my family was pretty cool when we got a push button phone with an extra long cord. ;)

I'm only 4 years younger ,we didn't get a phone till I was at school an dad got made site foreman lol.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tough as nails, top speed around 60 k.p.h. (38 m.p.h.)     Fights like a champ, runs track and bushes excellent, silent on track and on course     48.5 cm (19 inches) @ 12.25 kg (27 lbs.), w

If you look at old photos of the Bedlington they looked like a lot of todays fell types and I always wonder why this cross isn't done more. I've seen a Patterdale X Whippet first cross and it looked

No, those are three of the ten or so pictures I've taken of him in his lifetime. I take some pictures of my dogs here at home for my records but very rarely think to take my phone out while I'm out w

Posted Images

Toby kept two females out of that litter. Has one or two other dogs. He uses them to flush game for his hawks and eagles. mostly they hunt hare with the birds but he and a friend of his hunt coyotes with the eagles and dogs. It looks like something I'd like to see one day, similar to the video that out there of the Mongolians hunting wolves with eagles. I believe another pair of males from that litter are hunting up in Montana. That's all I know about where they went. The two Toby has seem to be doing really well...just an upgrade on the speed and power of the Jagdterrier.

It seems like not many of the people that have responded to this thread have much experience with jagds. In my opinion they are the best 20 lb. dog on the planet. They take a little more training because they are strong willed but they are not dull headed...get them to want something and it's a done deal. Plus, most of the jags I've had have been really nice in the house, which you wouldn't guess by how hard they go when out hunting, They're way better locators than any other terrier breed I've even had the chance to hunt with.

I thought the same thing about them giving voice during a run but the crosses seem to all be silent so far. i wouldn't have guessed it would have gone that way.

As for colors, I don't know. Diesel's litter is the only one I've ever seen. The whippet mother is a tan or wheaten color. It would be very interesting to see what other colors might come about with a differently colored mother. it would make for a pretty sharp looking terrier to see some piebald pups, or some of the other colors, though I do like the b&t's.

33eiu6e.jpg

Tough as nails, top speed around 60 k.p.h. (38 m.p.h.)

73hwzt.jpg

Fights like a champ, runs track and bushes excellent, silent on track and on course

2wf8hed.jpg

48.5 cm (19 inches) @ 12.25 kg (27 lbs.), with big teeth, good retrieve, excellent with kids but death to critters.

This is Diesel. He's the pick male out of the litter linked earlier in this thread.

Hes a lovely looking dog mate!

If you look at old photos of the Bedlington they looked like a lot of todays fell types and I always wonder why this cross isn't done more.

I've seen a Patterdale X Whippet first cross and it looked just like a black Whippet.

If a first cross terrier was what I wanted I'd go for the gamest type of terrier, the Patterdale.

The Jagd IMO would be a poor substitute.

What is a Patterdale to you mush?a black terrier perchance,a black terrier that evolved from far gamer terriers than are available now and terriers that lent their ancestry and breeding to the black terrier now that the numpty,s call Patterdale,the nearest thing to a patterdale terrier is a Black and tan Lakey.the majority of modern black terriers have been saturated with staff because the breeders looked for a quick fix in failed kennels and thats a fact that modern Black terrier ownership cannot escape from.

Patterdale is just a name at the end of the day that describes a type of black working terrier.

But since you're telling me how my terriers are bred can I tell you that ALL your bedlingtons are just poodle hybrids, if we're making assumptions about breedings because someone else did the outcross then I can assume that your poodle hybrids work like poodles.

And to assume that the terriers of todays are not as game as those of yesteryear also tells me Morton that you need to get out and do a bit.

There's still lads out there who strive for perfection in their terriers and nearly every one of these men keeps the black terrier commonly called the patterdale.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

If you look at old photos of the Bedlington they looked like a lot of todays fell types and I always wonder why this cross isn't done more.

I've seen a Patterdale X Whippet first cross and it looked just like a black Whippet.

If a first cross terrier was what I wanted I'd go for the gamest type of terrier, the Patterdale.

The Jagd IMO would be a poor substitute.

What is a Patterdale to you mush?a black terrier perchance,a black terrier that evolved from far gamer terriers than are available now and terriers that lent their ancestry and breeding to the black terrier now that the numpty,s call Patterdale,the nearest thing to a patterdale terrier is a Black and tan Lakey.the majority of modern black terriers have been saturated with staff because the breeders looked for a quick fix in failed kennels and thats a fact that modern Black terrier ownership cannot escape from.

I'm going to add my 2 cents here because I have a strong opinion about the patterdale terriers. I don't like them because they have a rather narrow range of talents. If all you want in a smasher than you usually won't be disappointed. If what your looking for is a dog with all around talents, the Jagdterrier is far superior. If you want a small terrier for small game and hole work, the Patterdale is the best. You can buy them by the dozens over here and there will be some good ones but there is a devout group of men that won't let their terriers out to very many people and rarely accept money for them. They are hard core and if they are showing up with a terrier you can expect it to deliver to the max.

Now, since were talking lurcher crosses here, I think that those great little Patterdales are a poor choice for a lurcher cross when compared to a good Jagdterrier. With a good Jagdterrier you also get retrieving, treeing, tracking and a way better nose. Of the best Jagdterriers, you'll also get a much more useful fight style. The terriers I like are not there to fight, they are there to kill and don't waste time chewing in body parts that don't kill while they critter just sits there all pissed off, chewing on the dog. The bang headed, pit style fighting that you see in many kennels today is fun for a lot of men but entirely unnecessary for getting the job done. In fact, it's rather useless when your terrier (because there are dogs like this in the Jagdterrier breed too) is in the kennel recovering for most of the season.

I think it's pretty clear that Patterdales are not for me, but I do respect them greatly for what they are. I just think that, for a lurcher, a good line of Jagdterrier is a much better choice as a multi-talented dog for the cross.

Not to leave anyone hanging here, I recommend the Alluminum line of Jagdterriers from Germany. Here in the USA, Jay Wohleb has the goods. Also there is another line that is great here. The line is used primarily for bear, mtn. lion and bobcats. That line doesn't have a name other than the family name of the men breeding and hunting them. The Wenner family has some of the very best. Ted Wenner is one of the best taxidermists I've ever seen and Nathan Wenner is a veterinarian that has them as well. They are in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Jay is in Corpus Christy, TX. Also here in the states is James Mills. He carries a slightly smaller Jagd than Jay but has very good and complete dogs. I wouldn't now where to send you in the UK. Seems like anything German is looked down upon strongly. I'm actually surprised when I hear about someone in the UK owning one.

• Like 2

Dan, I was enjoying your post 'till I seen those two words "fight style".

Two words that shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the working terrier IMO, unless you're one of those wannabee macho types, and I don't think you are Dan.

Over there you are very limited with the size of the terrier you can use underground, hence one of the reasons some of the best lines over here will never make it to the states. Another reason there's probably Patterdales in the states that don't suit folk is because the states is seen by some over here as a place to sell your crap too.

But the truth is that anyone who says the Patterdale terrier is a wreckless worker that's only fit for one working style hasn't seen too many working IMO.

It's the same as saying that all white terriers are stand back baying types.

Done me good to see in your post Dan where you say there's folk in the states who keep their bloodlines to themselves and wont sell them.

With all your macho types, peddlers and Kennel Club recognition it's these lads who'll have workers longer after everyone else.

• Like 1

Dan, I was enjoying your post 'till I seen those two words "fight style".

Two words that shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the working terrier IMO, unless you're one of those wannabee macho types, and I don't think you are Dan.

Over there you are very limited with the size of the terrier you can use underground, hence one of the reasons some of the best lines over here will never make it to the states. Another reason there's probably Patterdales in the states that don't suit folk is because the states is seen by some over here as a place to sell your crap too.

But the truth is that anyone who says the Patterdale terrier is a wreckless worker that's only fit for one working style hasn't seen too many working IMO.

It's the same as saying that all white terriers are stand back baying types.

Done me good to see in your post Dan where you say there's folk in the states who keep their bloodlines to themselves and wont sell them.

With all your macho types, peddlers and Kennel Club recognition it's these lads who'll have workers longer after everyone else.

It's only my opinion, based on how I like to use terriers. It's only relevance is to the type of terrier used in a lurcher cross because terrier based lurchers are not working under ground so their fight style that is contributed to a lurcher has different requirements. I just thought it might be something to consider under the circumstances.

33eiu6e.jpg

73hwzt.jpg

Fights like a champ, runs track and bushes excellent, silent on track and on course

2wf8hed.jpg

48.5 cm (19 inches) @ 12.25 kg (27 lbs.), with big teeth, good retrieve, excellent with kids but death to critters.

This is Diesel. He's the pick male out of the litter linked earlier in this thread.

Smart! I've been half playing with the idea of another lurcher and decided if I did I'd want something small, robust and gritty with plenty of terrier blood. 'That' catches my interest!

What do you hunt/do with it?

I would rather use a terrier that is very hard for producing lurchers than a sensible type that takes hold when it can as I dont think many people would tolerate a foxing lurcher that waits till it can get a good hold hence using a hard terrier that aint fussy where he takes hold.

• Like 1

33eiu6e.jpg

73hwzt.jpg

2wf8hed.jpg

Smart! I've been half playing with the idea of another lurcher and decided if I did I'd want something small, robust and gritty with plenty of terrier blood. 'That' catches my interest!

What do you hunt/do with it?

Everything except birds. When I broke Diesel off of my chickens he quit birds completely.