Would A Squirrel Go To Ground?

I was out for a wonder through my local wood when both my terrier's put up a grey squirrel. After chasing up a tree where it tried to take refuge until I got my catapult out and moved it on?. The squirrel took off through the canopy for about 35m then decided to come to ground terrier's in hot pursuit then suddenly everything when silent. One of my terrier's came back but the other one refused too. After 5 minutes I went looking for him only to find him marking a small rabbit size hole which we had passed just before the dogs put the squirrel up. There were no signs of rats or rabbits in the area. The hole looked disused and had leaves down it. The dogs were not interested before they chased the squirrel but wouldn't leave it after the squirrel came back down to ground. So did the squirrel go to ground??

Yes they do go to ground ,,,, also if they get shot at often ,,,,,,,,very often,,,,,,they will run down from the trees to the ground and rather make their escape that way, they soon learn its not always safe in the branches.

• Like 1

Yes they do go to ground ,,,, also if they get shot at often ,,,,,,,,very often,,,,,,they will run down from the trees to the ground and rather make their escape that way, they soon learn its not always safe in the branches.

Only if you miss them, once hit they do not get the chance to learn. :thumbs:

TC

I once had a terrier scratching at a hole at the base of a hollow tree.

I was watching the terrier, who was only half interested, as if it was rabbits of something, and a grey squirrel ran down the tree, got past the terrier and went down the hole.

The squirrel wasn't being hunted but still went to ground, passing a terrier in the process.

The only thing I can think of is that the squirrel had young underground..

• Like 2

Was out last week with mine and she spotted a grey which after jumping through the trees decided too come down, why it did i don't know as it knew the dog was after it, anyways it didn't get far before the dog had it....gave the terrier a right nasty bite under her eye.

they must get suicidal at times had the same sort thing happen only it was running along the top of a hedge,it came down and started across the field,nice retrieve by the dog
  • Like 1