We have just moved house and I'm tasked with sorting sky and broadband.

What's a cheap internet wifi/broadband and what's the crack with these sky chipped boxes?

I'm totally non technically minded so make it simple!

I would just get nowtv mate and chrome cast. No subscription so when its shite and nothing good on,just dont pay it that month. You get sky 1 discovery ,Fox, Atlantic and few others.aswell as a shitload of box sets. 6.99 a month. If You want movies you get a package for that to.

Kodi will work on most PCs and tablets. Install on of the ready made builds, and away you go. We use it on our tablet, then a wireless dongle to the TV - all Sky channels and Sky sports, 1000s of films, live TV and just about anything that's ever been on TV.....and loads more ! Amd, best of all, none of it costs a penny !

We just upgraded to unlimited broadband, to avoid download charges.

• Like 2

Kodi will work on most PCs and tablets. Install on of the ready made builds, and away you go. We use it on our tablet, then a wireless dongle to the TV - all Sky channels and Sky sports, 1000s of films, live TV and just about anything that's ever been on TV.....and loads more ! Amd, best of all, none of it costs a penny !

How do you get on streaming any live stuff like footy on kodi, I had fibre broadband because I was told the buffering would stop , but to be honest its made no difference when trying to watch live stuff ?

How do you get on streaming any live stuff like footy on kodi, I had fibre broadband because I was told the buffering would stop , but to be honest its made no difference when trying to watch live stuff ?
You shouldn't be getting any buffering with fibre. I can stream fine with a normal 8 Meg connection. Something don't sound right there..

You shouldn't be getting any buffering with fibre. I can stream fine with a normal 8 Meg connection. Something don't sound right there..

enable Zero buffering.

You can have the fastest fibre optic thingymabob broadband in the world but if you're streaming off a shit site with rammed servers everything will buffer.
  • Like 1

You can have the fastest fibre optic thingymabob broadband in the world but if you're streaming off a shit site with rammed servers everything will buffer.

that makes sense I usually get half a dozen links for whatever I want to watch

that makes sense I usually get half a dozen links for whatever I want to watch

Increase your video cache to around 1/3 of your available RAM, that helps a lot. As someone has already said, it depends on server traffic etc, so I regularly clean all the junk off the tablet and clear Kodi's temporary files regularly. I've also found that the biggest help is to avoid HD streams, if you can.

I've done all of these, and I use the Kodi "Beast" build - runs like clockwork, and I'm on a crappy old copper wire connection that gets 1.5meg, on a good day !

• Like 1

That's not strictly true. Some places get fibre speeds on 1mb and if there's problems with the wireless only a few meg can be translated sometimes

That's not strictly true. Some places get fibre speeds on 1mb and if there's problems with the wireless only a few meg can be translated sometimes
If I was regularly getting 1mb over fibre I'd be cancelling my contract..