Conscience Got The Better Of Me

Before I relay this tale its not designed to attract attention or for any kind of praise, yesterday I popped down the village to get some bits & pieces & i spotted a man asleep by the bus stop on a raised flower planter its a brick rectangle about waist height.

I walked past him twice to see how he looked & could clearly see he was not in a good way ... eyes rolling in the back of his head & gasping air .... he was dressed a bit scruffy but he wasnt dirty ... his hands where clean & so was his face ..

Cutting a long story short I managed to rouse him from his sleep & it was clear he was drunk, he didnt know where he lived or who he was so the girls in the co op called the police after i asked them to

The moral of this tale is if that man had been well dressed & found in that state the locals who chose to walk past him would have done something

I think its sad when folks choose to walk past & pretend that all is right , no idea who this bloke was or what his circs are but i dont know how anyone could have just left him there

Maybe i am just a daft old bird :laugh:

• Like 6

You sure he wasn't a tramp, wineo??

I guess he could have been , he had waterproof coat & bottoms on & was thin as a rake ... probably only in his 20's but looked older... whatever his circumstances are , poor bugger must have been on the bones of his arse

Shows I am from a small village ... i guess in the citys people see this all the time so harden to it

If you find yourself in the same situation again keep clear and just call the police,he could of easily been dangerous and stabbed you or worse.

That did cross my mind but luckly he was ok when he woke up .. he wanted a wee so I took him over to the edge of the woods as there was a road he had to cross & he was all over the place .. thats when the police arrived & came over to where he was . he did keep saying thank you & I have to admit I didnt feel threatened... I just hope he was ok after I left

• Like 1

good on ya,i was on the A66 THREE YEARS AGO AND THERE WAS A MAN LYING ON A FOOTPATH MANY DRIVERS HAD PASSED HIM AS WE WERE IN A TRAFFIC JAM AFTER PASSING HIM I SAID TO THE WIFE HE LOOKS DEAD STOPPED THE CAR GOT OUT TO FIND A MAN OF 67 HAVING A HEART ATTACK WITH ATLEAST 30 CARS HAD PASSED AND NONE STOPPED PHONED THE AMBULANCE STAYED WITH HIM TO THE AMBULANCE AND POLICE ARRIVED GOT A LETTER OF APPRECIATION OF HIS DAUGHTER ABOUT 4 MONTHS LATER BUT IT SHOWS THAT NOT EVERYONE IS OF THE SAME MIND

• Like 4

I'm a student nurseand part of this means that if we see omeone in trouble we have to help, okay it's not a wrtten rule but if it later because known that we had not at least checked on him we wouldn't be thought very highly of. I've often done thigns like this and I'm really glad you did. I also have friends who are homless, yes they are friends because I've gotten to know them. It sounds somewhat cliched but not everyone who is on the streets is a drug addict or alcoholic and everyone has a story. It's the same as not everyone who has a roof over their head is a nice person. People like you restore my faith in humanity and so thank you.

Well done Kay, that could have been anyone's son/dad/brother ect. Don't know if I'd have done the same maybe just depended on how I felt at the time lol. Have helped a few old boys home in my time always feel a bit sorry for them. Not so much young people, my young cousin was a bit worse for wear after my mums 50th on Friday and could a been doing with a help to get him home but instead the young team at his new home decided to jump over him and stab him instead lol hopfully he will be out of ICU today lol