Old Time Boxers

I have just read a book about a boxer in the twenties who I have never previously heard of ,Nipper Pat Daly,what an eye opener !

Started boxing professionaly at 9 (nine ) years of age ,boxing 15 round fights ( sometimes twice a week ) at 14 fought top opposition ,grown men,top of the bill at 15 ,forced to diet to make flyweight and then bantam weight limits ( doesn't even bear thinking about what that would of done to a young growing lad )when it was suggested his trainer / manager should rest him ,he was taken to a boxing booth on the assumption a change is as good as a rest!!! Completely burnt out at 17 suffered a couple of bad ko s....120 fights 99wins ...by all accounts a future world champion and the potential to be Britain's best ever ...the good old days eh ,when child abuse was celebrated

• Like 3

I have an old print on my wall of the contest between Dutch Sam and Medley fought in 1810 near Hampton.

The purse was 200 Guineas ,the crowd was reputed to be 10,000 and it went 40 rounds in favour of Sam.

I used to be a big boxing fan but nowadays I'd rather read about the Golden Era than the politically correct contests of today.

• Like 2

It's where the phrase he is a hungry fighter come from id imagine

good find mate, always remember my great granda telling me about the hungry 30s and him fighting in the ring and on the street for pots of stew or soup just to get food for the table, he was heavy weight in those days, and wasn't defeated
  • Like 1

I have an old print on my wall of the contest between Dutch Sam and Medley fought in 1810 near Hampton.

The purse was 200 Guineas ,the crowd was reputed to be 10,000 and it went 40 rounds in favour of Sam.

I used to be a big boxing fan but nowadays I'd rather read about the Golden Era than the politically correct contests of today.

Love reading about the golden era too neil...Jem Belcher's story holds a real fascination for me...as does the whole era...Mendoza, Cribb,Spring,Pearce, Ned Painter right up to the end of the bare knuckle era and the father of modern boxing Jem Mace...

One from 100yr back worth a mention is Harry Greb...fought just under 300 fights and different weights...was a natural middleweight but he beat Gene Tunney...who went on to beat Jack Dempsey for the Heavyweight title...Greb used to spar with Dempsey

Just to add anyone interested in British Boxing history should read Jem Mace's book "Fifty years a fighter"...recently back in print and a cracking little read :thumbs:

Edited by AKA-BRINDLE
  • Like 4

Not digging you out mate just curious to know what you mean by that comment......" politically correct contests " ?.......havent heard that before,how do you mean ?

Growing up we were always told tales of Benny Lynch, his grave is in the cemetery where I caught my first rabbit and coursed my first hare as a snottery nosed kid. Since then a lot of older family members have died and the Internet has become what it is, I'm sure they would have liked to have seen the old videos and read about him online, wee Benny was some guy tho, have a look on Google or YouTube, different people back then hard as nails compared to today's pampered poofters that is our generation lol

Had a Great uncle that boxed and apparently did a bit of training with Benny Lynch.., although my uncle wasn't near his level. He told me Lynch was the greatest ever.

When I was a laddie I used to go in and keep the old boy company and run to the shop for him. One day he was telling me about the boxing and pulled out an old shoe box full of photos, paper cuttings, programmes and the like. All stuff about Lynch and the fighters of the day, but I remember he had something signed by Jack Dempsey, from when as a young man and he'd gone all the way to London to meet him. I think when he died his daughters binned all his bits and pieces of boxing memorabilia..., and I've spent the last 25years regretting not asking if I could have them.

• Like 4