• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#16 hutchey

hutchey

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 877 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:03 am

And here i am thinking of putting in for a variation for an HMR and other calibre - so many people seem to have issues with the HMR round it's pretty off-putting.

#17 Bigad

Bigad

Mega Hunter

• Donator
  • 548 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:21 am

Just think if you had a wooden stock splinters would have gone every where eyes face also have you checked the scope to make sure it still works

#18 IanB

IanB

------

• Administrator
  • 11,139 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:36 am

Scopes fine, if I was left handed, I'd of had a messy paw or missing digits as it flew 2 foot away..Ears stopped ringing now :laugh:

Attached Files

#19 SportingShooter

SportingShooter

The Miscellaneous Mod

• 5,895 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:45 am

Bloody lucky that Ian.

CZ rifle? At least it's built on a strong action,

It's going to become very dangerous when a squib round sends the head about a foot up the barrel and another one gets fired behind it. Pipe bomb.

#20 Tremo

Tremo

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:17 pm

Glad that I got shot of my HMR last year .......... I don't miss it one little bit.

If it was the choice between owning another HMR of throwing stones at the quarry, then I would be investing in some new trousers with very large pockets. ;)

#21 shropshire dan

shropshire dan

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:20 pm

Bloody hell. +1 Tremo Im glad mines gone lol.

#22 andy s410c

andy s410c

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:47 pm

You've been very lucky there Ian :icon_eek: glad I binned my HMR over 4yr ago.I wonder if all the dodgy ammo has been shipped across to us Brits :hmm:   

#23 Skull Hooker

Skull Hooker

Mega Hunter

• Donator
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:14 pm

I'm amazed that Hornady haven't withdrawn all production, its just a huge legal case waiting to happen.  Im also amazed that the Yanks haven't been up the legal route with this one.  It must have happened over there, unless , as you say, we get the iffy ammo and all the USA stuff is better QC'd.  

#24 Devonhunter !

Devonhunter !

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:42 pm

Same thing happend to a guy on a forum on facebook last month , same rounds aswell.

Attached Files

Edited by Devonhunter !, 23 April 2015 - 06:42 pm.

#25 walshie

walshie

"English Dai"

• 15,699 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:55 pm

Ouch! Close call Ian. 

#26 The one

The one

Honorary Life President of the THL New Member Welcoming Committe

• Donator
  • 39,114 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:24 pm

You've had a lucky escape no doubt , even if they replace it will you be confident using the replacement ?

#27 IanB

IanB

------

• Administrator
  • 11,139 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:21 pm

I had one before and passed it onto my brother in law, because the groups were all over, but he's getting on good with it, I needed something flat shooting for rabbits back end of the season when there flighty, so got a hornet, which is great...but its not great if your using a lot of rounds and reloading, so I went back to a HMR for ease, as it did what I needed with nightvision on the rabbits.. I'll be confident using a replacement but it will always be in the back of my mind, I was speaking to the dealer I got it off today and he mentioned it had happened with an anschutz as well, but from a another dealer he heard about...

I've never had problems using hornady red tips and it seems when speaking to edgar brothers the problem may be in the blue tips or old stock of them that had issues previously..

Regardless the round shouldn't of jammed, I just missed the fact it had, as everyone says, not good at all when a rifle blows up in your hands....imagine a bigger calibre, like a .243 upwards , I'd be getting scraped up off the floor.. :laugh:

#28 THE STALKER

THE STALKER

Mr Clumsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:48 am

I had the red tips get stuck in my barrel last year , but was lucky enough to notice before fireing another shot i had 4 out of the same box do it.In the bottom pic you can still see some of the powder left in the case.

OP36EGC.jpg.

Fv2ACJb.jpg

#29 IanB

IanB

------

• Administrator
  • 11,139 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:03 am

Strange thing it always seems to be the HMR with jams and kneck trouble.

#30 Cedric

Cedric

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:34 am

Well, my FAC has just landed back from Lancashire Police with a slot for a HMR!! So, it's off to the Gunshop before this cash burns a hole in my pocket. Super two weeks turnaround from them. 

Those pictures will always be in the back of my mind when firing it though, makes me cautious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users