I handle straw and shavings every day and usually have a few cuts on my hands most days if even just a scratch.

This threads made me think twice about carrying on working with either with an open wound of any kind .....

MC; Don't let it spoil ye life. Just a pair of every day rough leather, or rubber gloves will keep ye hands safe.

The most basic hygiene ~ like washing ye hands as ye come in from handling the straw ~ will probably ensure ye make old bones.

For those in regular contact, day long, with dodgy shit though? Disposable, Nitrile gloves are the way to go :yes:

• Like 1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Paulus = ray of sunshine.

In the scrot lol a few years back while out with the terriers I was down on my knees with the smoker. A rat ran straight into my lap, dog bit rat, rat bit me lol I can laugh about it now but at the t

got bit by a mink once doing my "take them out the trap alive trick" that hurt got hot and swelled up then went all nasty and pussy!   but yeh ive been bit by a rat on the side of my hand and tha

Use to laugh at an old bloke who i used to rat with for wearing bicycle clips but looking back he wasnt that daft :yes:

just looked it :laugh:

forgot about the old school ways,makes sence when you think about it.where i live there's a lane for traffic which is well used which has a stream running by the side of it,some time ago a fella was walking home drunk down the lane fell into the stream and was dead within ten days from Weil's disease.most rats I've seen in daytime was at my local retail park where there's a McDonald's and KFC, sat in the car eating ourmc'd must have counted at least 15 in and out of hedge.got to say mind i was parked closer to KFC's

used to walk past tescos in donny town centre on the way to work and see the buggers scurrying about , just wasnt practicale to hunt them

i got bit by a rat on the right hand one night whilst ratting on a pig farm. i was looking between a big square bail and a feed trough for some cattle when a terrier jumped out from inbetween them with a rat in its mouth holding it by it arse. the fecker bit me on my right hand just has the terrier shock it and by feck it stung.

trip to the hospital next day as i was worried about veils disease and was told there was feck all to worry about as my tetnus was upto date. anyway week or so later my whole right arm swelled up even the gland under my armpit (i never new you had glands there), got given a course of augumentine to clear it up and was then told all was well.

about 10 months later i started getting headhaches. cut a long story short ended up having a emergency 7hour brain operation to remove 200mls of absess off the right side of my brain. by all accounts so my G.P tells me leptospirosis can be a absess forming on the brain anytimytime upto 12months after a rat bite.

i was told the absess was from a infection from synusitus, guess i will never know which it was. ratbite or synusitus. makes me wonder.

my grandfather worked in a ship yard,the rats had been swimming in the drinking water. was f***ing years and years ago. hygiene prob wasnt an issue back in those days.from stories i had heard he didnt die a nice death.

certainly makes you think,reading some these posts.

my mate got bit of a fox this morning then a nutria in the afternoon straight threw his waterproofs and jeans was pissin my sides he's on here to hahaha

All he needed was a rat bite on the night time and he would have a mcnab :laugh:

my grandfather worked in a ship yard,the rats had been swimming in the drinking water. was f*****g years and years ago. hygiene prob wasnt an issue back in those days.from stories i had heard he didnt die a nice death.

certainly makes you think,reading some these posts.

Bad crack that Scott...

I handle straw and shavings every day and usually have a few cuts on my hands most days if even just a scratch.

This threads made me think twice about carrying on working with either with an open wound of any kind .....

MC; Don't let it spoil ye life. Just a pair of every day rough leather, or rubber gloves will keep ye hands safe.

The most basic hygiene ~ like washing ye hands as ye come in from handling the straw ~ will probably ensure ye make old bones.

For those in regular contact, day long, with dodgy shit though? Disposable, Nitrile gloves are the way to go :yes:

I have a tiny bit of ocd about washing my hands, thats why they're in a had state my skin cracks in mostly in the webby bits lol

But your spot on have to carry on regardless.

And as for the dodgy shite, im about that most of the day too ffs......

and I dont just mean my fella :D

I have a tiny bit of ocd about washing my hands, thats why they're in a had state my skin cracks in mostly in the webby bits lol

But your spot on have to carry on regardless.

And as for the dodgy shite, im about that most of the day too ffs......

and I dont just mean my fella :D

I'm so sorry if I've put you off doing your work didn't mean to scare munger anyone.please carry on regardless

Knowledge is power patterdale, so I think its a good thread and also with a lot of diseases and bacteria, small scale regular exposure can actually build an immunity over time. People who work in kennels will accidentally be taking home all sorts to there own dogs for example and it can actually give their own dogs an advantage, if they were ever exposed to the full blown illness :thumbs: IMO its never a bad idea to ask questions, it helps share the knowledge that everyone on here has :thumbs:

• Like 1

Knowledge is power patterdale, so I think its a good thread and also with a lot of diseases and bacteria, small scale regular exposure can actually build an immunity over time. People who work in kennels will accidentally be taking home all sorts to there own dogs for example and it can actually give their own dogs an advantage, if they were ever exposed to the full blown illness :thumbs: IMO its never a bad idea to ask questions, it helps share the knowledge that everyone on here has :thumbs:

thank you your opinion means alot
  • Like 1

Only things I can mind getting bit from was a vowel when younger and a weasel when I put my hand in a burrow looking for my ferret, that was emotional :D but more recently and I admit, I must have looked a big girls blouse jumping about like a Jessie was last summer. I've no fears or fobieas that I know of, just saying like :laugh: anyhow, went round to my mums she wasn't in, scorcher of a day I thought, f**k it, I'll cut her grass while I'm here. Goes in the shed, starts pulling stuff about and whack, something has bit the back of my neck, no sound, no warning, fuckall but pain lol. I step back outside rubbing my neck wondering what the f**k then there he was, my attacker, a f***ing wasp and raging to boot. c**t was whizzing about my face looking for seconds, I started whacking my arms at him but this c**t was quick, I thought f**k this and legged it into the conservatory and slammed the door. Bzzzzz right in my f***ing ear, the c**t had made it in, headed for the kitchen slammed the door, bzzzzz fuckers still there!!!! Through the kitchen hyperventilating by now, slammed the kitchen door, dived into the bathroom slam. Bzzzzz f**k me, this c**ts relentless, out of the bathroom into the living room, slam ..... Bzzzzz right at my ear. Off with my top I start waving it about like a man possessed. Sees it going behind the blind, it starts washing itself, by this time I'm a quivering wreck. Rolled up newspaper whack. The only thing I can think of was it was attached to my jumper like the squirrel from Christmas national lampoon :laugh:

• Like 2

Only things I can mind getting bit from was a vowel when younger and a weasel when I put my hand in a burrow looking for my ferret, that was emotional :D but more recently and I admit, I must have looked a big girls blouse jumping about like a Jessie was last summer. I've no fears or fobieas that I know of, just saying like :laugh: anyhow, went round to my mums she wasn't in, scorcher of a day I thought, f**k it, I'll cut her grass while I'm here. Goes in the shed, starts pulling stuff about and whack, something has bit the back of my neck, no sound, no warning, fuckall but pain lol. I step back outside rubbing my neck wondering what the f**k then there he was, my attacker, a f*****g wasp and raging to boot. c**t was whizzing about my face looking for seconds, I started whacking my arms at him but this c**t was quick, I thought f**k this and legged it into the conservatory and slammed the door. Bzzzzz right in my f*****g ear, the c**t had made it in, headed for the kitchen slammed the door, bzzzzz fuckers still there!!!! Through the kitchen hyperventilating by now, slammed the kitchen door, dived into the bathroom slam. Bzzzzz f**k me, this c**ts relentless, out of the bathroom into the living room, slam ..... Bzzzzz right at my ear. Off with my top I start waving it about like a man possessed. Sees it going behind the blind, it starts washing itself, by this time I'm a quivering wreck. Rolled up newspaper whack. The only thing I can think of was it was attached to my jumper like the squirrel from Christmas national lampoon :laugh:

:laugh:

Ive heard consonants have a worse bite Baw