Foxes Or Rather A Lack Of Them

Aye maybe in places where there's good rabbit numbers im seeing good numbers of foxes , but on others i hardly see a fox but you see fox crap outside nearly ever rabbit burrows , Them being what i would call hungry farms where foxes would have to do a lot of travelling

ie If a sheep dies its totally striped out that night

Edited by The one

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its because all the shooters have been out shooting the cubs so theres non left for you

Dog's/ Gun's/ Snare's/net's/Traps/Hounds/Terriers,/driven shooting,/wild fowling,/stalking/Hawking They are all means to an end,each one humane in its own right and in the right hands,each one inhuman

Watched 2 cubs 40yds apart tonight just mousing or learning to mouse.I had a .17hmr next to me. No temptation though. It was nice to watch them. Hope to see them again a bit later in the year in an ea

Posted Images

Yes charlie you keep saying theres no foxes and very little rabbits in a specific area yet you cant see the reason why! you shot 20 foxes in that area , 10 of those foxes were probably dominant breeding vixens, do you see the problem,, keep taking sweets from the sweet shop and you will end up with zero. You can waffle that what ever way you want.. As with this area i know there are certain folk who do not respect a closed season and are out shooting foxes every night with high powered rifles,,,, and then they complain there are no foxes.

I did not say there were no foxes, what I said is that we were not seeing them in the areas we normally do,and I can assure you I am not complaining about the lack of foxes,and the landowner certainly isn't,and as for a close season, well do you think the foxes observe a close season on the hens and a couple of dozen duck taken over the last year or two? and as for rabbits I have not shot a rabbit on this farm for 3 years, in an effort to give them a chance,their demise is down to brock pure and simple, disgruntled dog man or not you must understand that fox control in some areas is a necessity, and its not just a case of waiting for the "open season" so some sport can be had with the dog.

every one understands that some places need all year round fox control, like chicken farms ect but all animals need to be aloud breed and rare there young. the point of control or conservation is not to eradicate. 99% of the lads around here wont hunt fox till mid august. its not about waiting to have fun with the dogs no one wants to see an end to the fox.

Well I am afraid that not everyone understands it that way,some people seem to think shooting a fox is some kind of sin punishable by summary execution,only a dog may harm a hair on his noble head,I completely agree that all animals should be left to breed and I certainly don't shoot any until the cubs are fending for themselves, for fear of shooting a vixen with cubs at milk,of course nobody wants to see an end to the fox, least of all me,and I wish the hunting ban could be repealed tomorrow,and as for lurchers well I love them and I can say hand on heart that I can train to a very high standard, far removed from the man who just wants to slip his dog on a hare, but I am afraid that your average chav with a bullx ect does not give two hoots about conservation, so perhaps contemporary dog lads should look to their own house before slating shooting sometimes (and before anyone gets upset I am not in any way pointing the finger at any member of this site, just an observation)
  • Like 1

please tell us more rimmer.

I have seen many a fox walk right past a number of still rabbits in a field with night vision where the fox literally walks two feet away from one or two of the crouched bunnys with no change in the fox's walking pattern.

I think it is near impossible to eradicate foxs. they are born survivors.

they are survivors they have proved that but no animal is impossible to eradicate. I believe fox cubs should be aloud grow so then there is the best chance of the best genes being past on which helps ensure a strong and healthy population. I believe that for all animals. shooting every cub you see doesn't allow natural selection to happen. question: how many cubs have any of you killed so far this year?

Me none, I have some other permissions where they are not really a nuisance and probably do more good than harm in the long run,I was watching 3 cubs the other night, and a splendid sight it always is,and I agree with you totally on the genes thing, but one comment must be added, nature does not like a vacuum and when a fox is shot, it does not take long for his boots to be filled.

I have seen many a fox walk right past a number of still rabbits in a field with night vision where the fox literally walks two feet away from one or two of the crouched bunnys with no change in the fox's walking pattern.

they are survivors they have proved that but no animal is impossible to eradicate. I believe fox cubs should be aloud grow so then there is the best chance of the best genes being past on which helps ensure a strong and healthy population. I believe that for all animals. shooting every cub you see doesn't allow natural selection to happen. question: how many cubs have any of you killed so far this year?

None.....but if one walks into my field it will be feeling the whack of the .222. I cant afford to have them walking around.

• Like 1

Me none, I have some other permissions where they are not really a nuisance and probably do more good than harm in the long run,I was watching 3 cubs the other night, and a splendid sight it always is,and I agree with you totally on the genes thing, but one comment must be added, nature does not like a vacuum and when a fox is shot, it does not take long for his boots to be filled.

What happens when there isnt any foxes to fill the boots, Cant happen you say! it already is. after years of terrierwork i can see it, some years improve ok, but in the last 5 years there has been a big reduction in the fox population.The big question is charlie what are we going to do about it..

Have you ever tried to catch a rabbit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Sick or wounded animals are far easier to catch, foxes like anyother wild animal have to wiegh up the pros and cons effort v reward. I know thats a very simple way to put it but its the quickest way i can think of. I am not saying they dont take healthy rabbits cos i know they do i have seen it, but a healthy rabbit it not a large part of a foxes diet, they mainly eat worms, frogs,grubs and stuff like that and of coarse chickens but healthy rabbits are a bit of a challenge.

• Like 1

'no animal is impossible to eradicate'

that's a strong statement.

TELL THAT TO THE WHITE AUSTRALIAN FARMERS SEE WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT RABBITS and eradication!!! AND OH HAVEN'T THEY TRIED WITH EVERY METHOD thinkable from poison to digging to gassing to engineered disease control. I might add that shooting is one of the least effective method. and none of the above has 'eradicated rabbits from Australia.

like I said some animals are born survivors fox included. why do you think crocs (200 MILLION YEARS) and sharks (450 million years) have been on this earth for so long. that's hundreds of million of years not thousand!

some species are born survivors.

we have only been around for 200,000 years. which is nothing compared to the above. some species or animal groups find a way to survive.

and things are not a simple as they seem, being a number of reasons which could be depressing fox numbers. its the combination of reasons which have the impact. 1+1 sometimes =3.

it may be that my comment above might have a little something to do with why there are fewer foxes about. i'm talking about one reason of many.

I also think the KEY POINT IS: there are a number of reasons BUT some reasons have a larger influence dependant on the area you are talking about.

Edited by riflehunter583

yes they tried with the rabbits and back when mixo was invented and with other methods they did a very good job but I suspect when the rabbit population droped so dramatically as it did efforts dropped in toe. there are not to many people hunting crocks and less hunting sharks that helps a top predator. there are a lot of people hunting foxes and I do agree they are true survivors but in recant years there are less than ever before. its not just down to hunters but we play a big part. foxes also play a big part in nature and we need to respect them as well as control them.

• Like 1

It would appear that I have upset one of the chavs I mentioned earlier, and got an abusive pm :cray: now if you have something to say MACKY please grow a pair and say it for us all to hear, but of course you wont you are not clever enough to join in a debate are you, now run along sonny :bye:

Edited by charlie caller
  • Like 1

It would appear that I have upset one of the chavs I mentioned earlier, and got an abusive pm :cray: now if you have something to say MACKY please grow a pair and say it for us all to hear, but of course you wont you are not clever enough to join in a debate are you, now run along sonny :bye:

You call this a debate? You edit most of your posts,so even you must feel silly re-reading them.

that's a nice catch, what is it?

That is a 200LB Irish Blue caught in 2000 out of Union Hall West Cork on 25LB Main line.

I thought it was a blue alright my biggest yet is 10lb smooth hound iv a bit to go to catch up with that.

Well I am afraid that not everyone understands it that way,some people seem to think shooting a fox is some kind of sin punishable by summary execution,only a dog may harm a hair on his noble head,I completely agree that all animals should be left to breed and I certainly don't shoot any until the cubs are fending for themselves, for fear of shooting a vixen with cubs at milk,of course nobody wants to see an end to the fox, least of all me,and I wish the hunting ban could be repealed tomorrow,and as for lurchers well I love them and I can say hand on heart that I can train to a very high standard, far removed from the man who just wants to slip his dog on a hare, but I am afraid that your average chav with a bullx ect does not give two hoots about conservation, so perhaps contemporary dog lads should look to their own house before slating shooting sometimes (and before anyone gets upset I am not in any way pointing the finger at any member of this site, just an observation)

i think some of your posts are designed to cause friction. ive seen some very highly trained bull cross hounds. as for your average chav they dont enter the equasion. so why mention them. ive seen some shooters that would make your average bull x owning chav look good. but they allso would be the exeption rather than the rule.

you come across as a smart arse to me. and looking down your nose at some folk. :thumbs: .

• Like 1