Foxes Or Rather A Lack Of Them

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its because all the shooters have been out shooting the cubs so theres non left for you

Dog's/ Gun's/ Snare's/net's/Traps/Hounds/Terriers,/driven shooting,/wild fowling,/stalking/Hawking They are all means to an end,each one humane in its own right and in the right hands,each one inhuman

Watched 2 cubs 40yds apart tonight just mousing or learning to mouse.I had a .17hmr next to me. No temptation though. It was nice to watch them. Hope to see them again a bit later in the year in an ea

Posted Images

Do I sense another Rimmer windup brewing? Hahahaha :whistling:

Ah the old "I've made a c**t off it so ill say its a wind up" routine...... Hilarious... Lol

Ah the old "I've made a c**t off it so ill say its a wind up" routine...... Hilarious... Lol

If you think rabbit makes up 95% of a foxes diet your the c**t old mate,

Go read it again and I let you off.... Good boy...;-)

he wasn't calling you a c**t, he was going along with the craic

Heres the craic, rabbit is a lovley meal for a fox, or any carnivore come to that, but bugger me they are quick and hard to catch. A healthy rabbit will have no problem getting away from a fox, it would there for follow that the fox would know this and would also know it is better off gathering the smaller more easy to catch things. Now one day Mr Fox is bimbling down the hedge row and out pops roger rabbit right into his paws, well says mr fox what an opertunity i `ll have that yum yum.

Rabbits are a food of opertuninty for a fox, not a major part of his diet, i would be surprised if his diet didnt consist of 95% meat, thats why he is called a carnivore.

still quite a few on my permissions

Your no joking one permission runs to double figures , we clocked three separate foxes on Sunday night every time a rabbit squealed a fox stuck its head out and the time before one ran out and grabbed a rabbit and bolted

Watched 2 cubs 40yds apart tonight just mousing or learning to mouse.I had a .17hmr next to me. No temptation though. It was nice to watch them. Hope to see them again a bit later in the year in an earh perhaps or on the stubble in the beam when Ive got one of my lads pulling on the slip and Charlie will have a chance. Ive no right to preach to anyone about shooting Foxes, but I do object to calling it sport. I only consider it sport when the quarry knows its in danger and has a chance to avoid it or defend itself.

I like your thinking.

Watched 2 cubs 40yds apart tonight just mousing or learning to mouse.I had a .17hmr next to me. No temptation though. It was nice to watch them. Hope to see them again a bit later in the year in an earh perhaps or on the stubble in the beam when Ive got one of my lads pulling on the slip and Charlie will have a chance. Ive no right to preach to anyone about shooting Foxes, but I do object to calling it sport. I only consider it sport when the quarry knows its in danger and has a chance to avoid it or defend itself.

I like your thinking.

So lets understand this, you say you like his thinking, ok fair enough, are you agreeing with his statement that it is more or less only acceptable to kill something if it first knows it is in danger? Instead of going about its business without a care in the world then its stone dead, and then and only then it is "sport" so in other words then you only find it acceptable to kill a fox for "sport" not pest control? Ridiculous, that kind of statement plays right into the hands of the antis, because ultimately what you are saying is you are enjoying killing, rather than doing it on the grounds of utility, now as I have said before I love to watch a good dog work, and as for watching cubs, without shooting them I have done it many times, but lets keep some perspective, a dead fox is a dead fox.

• Like 3

As above i ran dogs for years but i think it is better to shoot Foxes where they need to be controlled than it is to run Dogs on them.With the Rifle Death is instant if your up to the job they don't even hear the bang,with a dog or some times 2 dogs a Fox gets coursed ,chased .and worried for several minutes only to be snatched up and shaken to death.As with the Rifle or Dogs above or below ground some Foxes do go away wounded or in the case of a coursed and get away Fox scared for quite a while. :yes:

a fox that has been coursed and gets away is very wary from then on and hard to course again but iv yet to see a fox get away from dogs wounded above or below ground.