East End Gangsters

If most these so called gangsters 'make/made so much money' in their chosen proffessions why do they need to spend the remainder of there days having shitty books written about them lol I know 20 year old lads made more in six months than the krays/frankie fraser ever did :thumbs:

anyone serious at the game last thing they would want is pc plod knowing anything at all end of story, anyone wanting a contrasting view of the krays legend read first John Pearson's Proffesion of Violence (written when said ledgends where alive and kicking) then read J Pearson Cult of Violence, (written after deaths) two very different stories, interesting reads though, the real crims happy enough with there loot ot consider having some naff book written about em lol sure sign of a failed gangster that is.....

• Like 3

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Theres nothing glamorous at all about villany, the perception of "glamour" comes from films and tv. The reality is plenty of time looking over your shoulder, plenty of time behind the door with a loa

What Gnasher says about the krays rings right, they where pure gangsters , lived and breathed the whole scene, born out of the frustration of abject poverty, they really set the bench mark for the who

If we want to talk real villainy that knocks all else into a cocked hat then have a look at the EU, just cleared out £10 billion from Cypriot banks in full view of the whole world and got away with it

just finished reading a book THE ICEMAN a true story about a mafia hitman very good read he makes the krays and otheres mentioned look like angels .well worth a read now this bloke really knew how to inflict pain misery and death quickly or in a lot of cases very slowly . dont want to spoil the book but if he disliked them he would tie them up in a cave torture them and video rats eating them alive .

read that un Boyo excellent read, am not so sure he did not stretch the truth more than a little though,still a crackingread though, the Butcher by same fella good read also

Roy Shaw certainly never had to peddle books ,he had a big property portfollio ,he used the money he earned fighting and ended up a wealthy man ,he may have been a handfull but he was sharp when it come to making a few quid.I grew up in the east end ,my parents had a pub in E3 (bow) all through the sixtys & seventys and we used to get all sorts in there but it ment nothing to me or my brother we were to busy soding around ,it was'nt till much later you realised who was who.My old fella never had any trouble other than the usual drunk who wanted to fight the world after 10 pints.They always came second,funny how people who dont fight have a belly full of beer & suddenly they want to fight the world.!! ...Loved growing up there ,would'nt move back for a grand a week ..

I don't think anyone from "our world" could comment. They didn't mix with "civilians". Everyone seems to know someone who knew someone who knew the Krays, etc.

Closest I've ever got to anyone ike that is John McVicar who used to drink in our local and he seemed perfecty normal.

Roy Shaw was insane hence spending a long time in Broadmoor.

john mc vicar, .... is that the mc vicar from the film mc vicar? really good film that,

just finished reading a book THE ICEMAN a true story about a mafia hitman very good read he makes the krays and otheres mentioned look like angels .well worth a read now this bloke really knew how to inflict pain misery and death quickly or in a lot of cases very slowly . dont want to spoil the book but if he disliked them he would tie them up in a cave torture them and video rats eating them alive .

read that un Boyo excellent read, am not so sure he did not stretch the truth more than a little though,still a crackingread though, the Butcher by same fella good read also

dont know if youv'e seen the interviews with him [iceman]

but if you google documentry heaven,,iceman part1/2..well worth a watch..

cracking documentries on there about all sorts aswell.. :victory:

• Like 1

The problem is people get the term " gangster " confused with people just out to get money......far as im concerned the only East End gangsters theres ever been were the Krays little firm,simply because they set themself out as a gang from the start............everyone else who was just out chasing money got labelled a gangster !!

Lennie Mclean would turn in his grave if he thought he was getting labelled a gangster.......i had the pleasure of getting to know Lennie over the period of a couple of years in the early 90,s and a kinder more polite and generally funny man you would never meet.....yes he could be a very vicious and intimidating man but thats how he earned a living....but he was never a bully......Ive said for many years Lennie was probably the most powerful and terrifying man ive ever been around he had a natural menace about the way he carried himself,he could turn in an instant and his pure aggression and power was impressive to watch........however around his family and friends he was just a normal guy with a fantastic sense of humour and a generous and kind manner.

What folk forget about the East End is this was one of the most heavily bombed areas in war years,Bethnal Green,Bow etc an already poor area had literally nothing left after the war.....already rough people just became rougher ! Everything was up for grabs in some ways i quite admire what people like the Krays did... 2 very rough young lads not particularly bright from a very rough area managed to obtain wealth in the only way they knew how............ok they went too far and came unstuck in the end but i dont have any issue with folk who take a chance in life just as long as they dont cry if it all go,s tits up.My father was well known to the Krays as he was a top pro fighter and the Krays were big boxing fans,when he packed up fighting he would steer clear of them whenever possible but the odd times he was in the same pub they would always send over a drink and was always very respectful.

As for all the nauseating books out there that glorify stuff thats not glorious.......ive said many times,if ol Lennie Mclean knew when he wrote a book that every tom dick and nobody would come out with a " gangster " book....he would never of written one !

• Like 7

The problem is people get the term " gangster " confused with people just out to get money......far as im concerned the only East End gangsters theres ever been were the Krays little firm,simply because they set themself out as a gang from the start............everyone else who was just out chasing money got labelled a gangster !!

Lennie Mclean would turn in his grave if he thought he was getting labelled a gangster.......i had the pleasure of getting to know Lennie over the period of a couple of years in the early 90,s and a kinder more polite and generally funny man you would never meet.....yes he could be a very vicious and intimidating man but thats how he earned a living....but he was never a bully......Ive said for many years Lennie was probably the most powerful and terrifying man ive ever been around he had a natural menace about the way he carried himself,he could turn in an instant and his pure aggression and power was impressive to watch........however around his family and friends he was just a normal guy with a fantastic sense of humour and a generous and kind manner.

What folk forget about the East End is this was one of the most heavily bombed areas in war years,Bethnal Green,Bow etc an already poor area had literally nothing left after the war.....already rough people just became rougher ! Everything was up for grabs in some ways i quite admire what people like the Krays did... 2 very rough young lads not particularly bright from a very rough area managed to obtain wealth in the only way they knew how............ok they went too far and came unstuck in the end but i dont have any issue with folk who take a chance in life just as long as they dont cry if it all go,s tits up.My father was well known to the Krays as he was a top pro fighter and the Krays were big boxing fans,when he packed up fighting he would steer clear of them whenever possible but the odd times he was in the same pub they would always send over a drink and was always very respectful.

As for all the nauseating books out there that glorify stuff thats not glorious.......ive said many times,if ol Lennie Mclean knew when he wrote a book that every tom dick and nobody would come out with a " gangster " book....he would never of written one !

That's the answer I was looking for ... I always view books and biography telly programmes or films of people very sceptically as they are always sensationalised to sell more and make more money ... I never met Lenny McLean but I did work the doors for a certain known London family and a few of the local lads I worked with had met him and said the same as Gnasher .... The reason I asked today is whenever one of these conversations comes up in general people club Lenny McLean Roy shaw etc into the same group as the Krays and such like and I have always thought that as people they would be worlds apart ........

@gnash. Mate not a bully are you sure ? I see him spark a young lad that was 10 stone dripping wet and that hadn't done anything wrong . He took a few liberty in his time !

Over the years ive heard a thousand different tales from a thousand different people about Lennie.....hence i judge by what i see with my eyes and hear with my ears.............i stood next to Lennie ( well behind him most of the time :icon_redface: ) along with his cousin Johnny Wall and Dave Sackett for 2 years on the door of The Hippodrome,Equinox and Ronnie Scotts and never once did i ever see him out of line....yes he was plenty aggressive regardless of size but he wasnt paid to weigh people before dealing with them..............Lennie was an old time club bouncer not a trendy doorman.....and there was a reason he was the most sought after bouncer in London ;)

Edited by gnasher16

That's the answer I was looking for ... I always view books and biography telly programmes or films of people very sceptically as they are always sensationalised to sell more and make more money ... I never met Lenny McLean but I did work the doors for a certain known London family and a few of the local lads I worked with had met him and said the same as Gnasher .... The reason I asked today is whenever one of these conversations comes up in general people club Lenny McLean Roy shaw etc into the same group as the Krays and such like and I have always thought that as people they would be worlds apart ........

Lennie Mclean,Roy Shaw......and many others like them worked for a living.....straight or crooked they earned money....................................gangsters dont work they live off people who do work.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1

theres a series of books called hard b*******s written by kate kray, there about the only books iv read from start to finish (other than books about field sports) she goes round interviewing people from the under world some gangsters and others just hard c**ts like Glenn ross worth a read if you haven't already

seen the one about the fat shirt lifter from over here. he couldnt beat snow of a rope

i got a few true crime gangster books of ebay and i had some of them already so open to offers i got THE GUVNOR , THE TAX MAN , MAD FRANKY FRAISER , MY MANOUR . ROY SHAW , VICK DARK INTO THE HEART OF DARKNESS ,HARD b*****ds , i have a few but those mentioned are off top of my head