Collie Xs Taking Fox

Seen some half tidy collie x es years ago mate had 5 8ths 3 8ths bitch about 25 ish n she loved teeth never shamed herself but nothing like a bull x each to there own sure lot of diff breeds of lurcher did do foxes when was legal n as for previouse post at bull cross owners don't wear nikey shoes n tracky pants u muppet some do adidas n puma lol

• Like 3

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you hear bull x this & bull x that taking foxes, but the best I have owned is first x collie, he would take fox day & night all single handed, he would carry a rabbit back to hand alive then

Calibre of rifle that's killed the most foxs......22lr   Dog that's killed the most foxs. .farm collie.   We used to manage before bull x Nike trainers and joggin bottoms..lol

There are some tremendous bull X's out there, but they gave people a short cut to a dog that would work biting game from 12 months onwards, with no real need to enter carefully. (Similar to the black

Posted Images

I think it is horses for courses personally. I had a Wheaton cross who was a very game dog how would be at the kennel door tail wagging every day/ night of the week no amount of work would sicken him. You really had to think for him a put his welfare above his desire to work and please you. In the same breath I have a first x collie bitch still working on her 9 birthday and she was as game but lacked some of the power he had ( she's 23 tts). At close quarter's they both would work with as much vigour as each other. Could the fact that there is less collie xs doing this job now be more to do with the breeding used to produce them?. I do think the style of hunting for some people has changed over the years and this has lent it's self to the bull or terrier breeds. But with all breeds some dogs can start to choose there quarry. I have seen this With a collie x not wanting anything but teeth and a bull or terrier breed not wanting teeth at all?. Just my opinion though atb gvc.

Edited by gvc
  • Like 3

Iv lived on farms most of my life and still live in the middle of know were.....theres some tough dogs about

Look why don't we just agree to disagree rather than falling out everyday in different posts........atb woz

some farms the collies they have right nasty feckers, 1 farm i used to go to had a black gsd with bit of collie in it, this thing would eat you no prob, was on a chain big 80lb fecker, nobody would go to the farm if he was loose, never had many poachers lol.Yes Woz his right some very nasty dogs round farms collies or collies xs :yes:

I used to go ferreting on a farm with a similar type of dog. Bit loads of people until someone "cured" it with a twelve bore .....

• Like 1

Why is it when someone sais "collie x" a lot of people hear "hancock"? There are collie crosses out there that werent bred by that puppy peddling wanker as well! Iv got one. Someone mentioned beirdie x. Well my dogs beirdie x grey x border x grey. He is spot on with rabbits and before the ban :tongue2: he was also spot on with fox. I personally cant be arsed with fox, cant eat um, whats the point. But after walking 3 or 4 fields and seeing f**k all and then a fox pops up.............. He also loved bigger stuff

Was mentioned on here that a collie cross could not do his job night after night, for a start if the weather conditions are not right to lamp you would not be out,well not myself any way,But to get the best out of your dogs they need to be worked and fed well to build stamina which this dog had plenty of. Some of the land i work is a lot of cover specially gors bush,The terrier would bolt them out,it was as tho they read each others minds, he was never far from were charly would bolt,And if the terrier went to ground in cover he would show me were she was,He was also used as an anchor dog in his time with other stuff,Like i have said a good all round lucher,who killed as much at night as in the day,But with all due respect, there is a lot of bull Xs talked about on here and the newbies think they are the dogs to get,and then carn't handle them,which they will be passed on from piller to post,There are a few on here who have seen my dog work, I am going back twenty odd years, so my advice to any one who is starting off go for a well bred collie X it will learn you more than any books. :thumbs: pre ban ;)

• Like 9

There are some tremendous bull X's out there, but they gave people a short cut to a dog that would work biting game from 12 months onwards, with no real need to enter carefully. (Similar to the black terriers).

As a result the need for other crosses to do teeth diminished. Their abilities on fox became less important than their ability as ferreting/rabbiting dogs. So naturally not all became good foxing dogs. Giving the X a bad name.

BUT if all we had to work with was collie's then foxing boys would have developed some good lines of fox killing lurchers no doubt.

• Like 11

There are some tremendous bull X's out there, but they gave people a short cut to a dog that would work biting game from 12 months onwards, with no real need to enter carefully. (Similar to the black terriers).

As a result the need for other crosses to do teeth diminished. Their abilities on fox became less important than their ability as ferreting/rabbiting dogs. So naturally not all became good foxing dogs. Giving the X a bad name.

BUT if all we had to work with was collie's then foxing boys would have developed some good lines of fox killing lurchers no doubt.

:thumbs:

Or get a bull/greyhound x collie/greyhound best of both there ! Ill admit if i was looking for a dog to find course and kill fox all on its own i would be going down the collie/grey route. My old collie x only ever had 3 and he caught them in the daytime whilst hunting up.

• Like 1

How many lads that were out for foxs 3,4,5 nights a week only had one bullx,Were going out alone every night. :hmm:

Just you always here how it aint a fox dog unless it was doing it so many nights a week,Yet i would be surpised if any could have been killing them 4,5 nights a week from aug to march,Without blanking,needing rests,Being out with other lads and not getting a run ect.

• Like 1

Crackin pics Oldred.. :thumbs:

Seen some real full on collie crosses on foxes, they absolutely destroyed 'em. Best two fox dogs I've ever seen had no bull blood either.

If all collie crosses had the minerals some have, I'd have never changed to the bull bloods but way back in time, when your only out for one type of quarry and you've just reared a pup, bred in the pink, from a ball of fluff to a full grown, keen as feck adult, and it don't want to know gear that bites back, it's too much of a sickener... That was the problem with collie crosses as fox dogs!

;)

Seen most every dam cur take fox, but by far the best Ive personally seen was a line bred bull cross, head and shoulders above the rest. For all aspects of fox hunting, and killing day and night.

All depends what you are looking for in a dog brains or brawn,

• Like 1

Seen most every dam cur take fox, but by far the best Ive personally seen was a line bred bull cross, head and shoulders above the rest. For all aspects of fox hunting, and killing day and night.

There's a dog by me ..typical youngs lads dog...never been got fit..just straight out of its pen into the truck and run on anything and everything...the dogs 6 now and still a machine..the dog was worked 5 or 6 nights a week....I never seen a dog like it...there's a few respected lads on hear that have seen claud in action..he's a collie x with no bull blood in him at all...

• Like 2

Some of the best fox catching dogs I've seen were collie x's BUT they weren't the best "fox dogs" because most of them lacked the art of dispatching the fox. Thats why the bull x and blending the x's together as evolved for fox hunting and your collie x's are exclusively the rabbiting dog these days.

:victory:

• Like 1

There's a dog by me ..typical youngs lads dog...never been got fit..just straight out of its pen into the truck and run on anything and everything...the dogs 6 now and still a machine..the dog was worked 5 or 6 nights a week....I never seen a dog like it...there's a few respected lads on hear that have seen claud in action..he's a collie x with no bull blood in him at all...

I personally prefer a dog that can multi task and not a one trick pony, that why people keep 5/6 dog in there kennels

• Like 2