Cheap crap air rifles for bunnies

hey

I can see what people are saying about cheap rifles being a bad option for hunting, but im guessing im not the only person who ended up going for one because of a lack of money. I have found so far that as long as i stay within a range that i am comfortable with, even if that means not taking "easy" shots due to the range issues, then my cometa rifle has done fine :) (that said, can't wait to be able to afford a better gun) :)

just my opinion, for what its worth :)

chris

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can I just say that cheap crap air rifles by SMK "et all" are not to be recommended for hunting!! they are a plinking tools only I expect loads of flak but ,so what?, These cheapos are not the right

Ummmm,   This is going to turn into a interesting thread I think.   I know that there are folks on here for SMK rifles and against SMK rifles.   Ive only ever owned one in 1997, a Custom Lion.

I beg to differ gentlemen   SMK 19 complete with second kill at 35 yards early one morning. This is the rifle that got me into hunting and it has removed many a pest out to 35 yards with eas

I bought second hand all though it was not cheap lol, Not to me anyhow. :whistling:

Seems then that buying a budget gun is seriously gonna limit you effective killing range and accuracy, Some people will to some extent be naturals at shooting and will be devastating with most rifles, The rest of us will have to practice.

So lets say I buy a Smk people having been capping rabbits at 30 yrds, I'm new to this so. Lets knock 5-10 yards off that figure. Being sensible like and not tricking me self into thinking i'm more skillful than I am.

Well all I can say is your Fieldcraft is gonna improve somewhat why your saving for the inevitable upgrade! Which can never be a bad thing:)

I'm pretty confident in my fieldcraft spending many hours out there partaking in other hobbies:)

Buy cheap Buy twice always carried me through in fishing:)

Karpman

hi guys,i have quite a few rifles air and powder but i get no better buzz than taking a rabbit at 35yards with my old battered diana 34s.not the most expensive and certainly not the best looking but still an accurate killing tool.far too much gun snobbery these days

atb

John

Edited by jay2k123
  • Like 1

Ey up

This is not about gun snobbery at all. I have stated that budget rifles can do a good job getting folk involved in shooting, BUT there is a world of difference actually using one to kill an animal. They are not a hunting tool.

I KNOW that some get descent results out to 30 yrds or whatever, but inconsistant power delivery etc is a well known trait of cheap guns and this is unacceptable for hunting.

The point of this debate is to advise folk looking for a budget gun for hunting to go and buy a quality second hand tool rather than a cheapo new plinker. My opinion of these guns is known but I AM NOT KNOCKING folk that buy them, just folk that cannot accept there limits of use.

Oh, and for Jay2k123,, I dont view Diana as a cheapo brand since using the 52. monster gun, 38 ft/lbs !!! :icon_eek:

ATB

• Like 1

Ey up

This is not about gun snobbery at all. I have stated that budget rifles can do a good job getting folk involved in shooting, BUT there is a world of difference actually using one to kill an animal. They are not a hunting tool.

I KNOW that some get descent results out to 30 yrds or whatever, but inconsistant power delivery etc is a well known trait of cheap guns and this is unacceptable for hunting.

The point of this debate is to advise folk looking for a budget gun for hunting to go and buy a quality second hand tool rather than a cheapo new plinker. My opinion of these guns is known but I AM NOT KNOCKING folk that buy them, just folk that cannot accept there limits of use.

Oh, and for Jay2k123,, I dont view Diana as a cheapo brand since using the 52. monster gun, 38 ft/lbs !!! :icon_eek:

ATB

I'd agree with that. They are what they are.

Pretty much all of the folks defending cheaper brands admit that they know they're limited to short to med range shooting and fair play to you for that :thumbs:

However, my HW90's now about 12 years old, has shot tens of thousands of pellets and shoots now as well as it did when it was new. It's never given me a moments bother (none of my HW's ever have...), how many Hatsan or whatever owners will claim that in 12 years time??

I love Dianas. I'm on my second 52 at the moment. The one I have now is .177 and it's a very handy tool indeed for those longer shots :whistling:

Cheers :thumbs:

Edit to say..... I'm not having a pop at budget priced guns..... As I said, they are what they are and so long as folks don't expect wonders from them, you'll be happy enough.

Edited by andyfr1968

Again I would have to disagree :yes:

The early Chinese guns were pretty rotten and lacked consistancy, just like the Honda's and Kawasaki's and Toyota were all "Jap Crap" and were the worst things on the roads, but now look at them. They produce some of the worlds most reliable and most luxury cars as well.

Just as the newer Chinese guns are now much more reliable and consistant. I would put my 19 out in the field all day shooting vermin.

Incidently have you seen where the new Beretta's are being manufactured?

Yep you got it, CHINA.

My wife managed to shoot herself up the right butt cheek with a standing shot using a westlake B2. Missed the target, 4 ricochets off 3 fence panels and the bungalow and a definite stinging sensation in the right cheek. I was so concerned I had to stop rolling on the floor and wipe the tears away! That gun could be a right mare, especially using SMK pellets! I would never dream of trying to hunt with it!

My wife managed to shoot herself up the right butt cheek with a standing shot using a westlake B2. Missed the target, 4 ricochets off 3 fence panels and the bungalow and a definite stinging sensation in the right cheek. I was so concerned I had to stop rolling on the floor and wipe the tears away! That gun could be a right mare, especially using SMK pellets! I would never dream of trying to hunt with it!

My ex wife used to enjoy it up the butt. Normally after a bottle or two of red wine though.....

Nope she was shooting sober! Left a nasty bruise too, about 4 inches across and we found the slug on the damned patio as well, was like an episode of CS1, followed the damned thing from point of impact back round the garden! First hit was on a fence nail, absorbed enough for the second rebound off the panel, third off a horizontal slat and the fourth off the cement between the bricks... I still cant believe that was achieved but it was, power but no accuracy, wound up giving it away as it was so cheap when we bought it that there was no point in trying to get any cash for it.

Had fun target shooting for a couple of years though, but you can see adverts for the damned things on preloved for £70 secondhand, that is over twice what we paid for it! That is when cheap guns get a bad reputation, when someone buys something like that secondhand being sold a dream that will never happen!

sorry to demur on these matters but. l have given a fair hearing to cheaper spring rifles long before now and. l know what top level. reliable shooting requires. l'm not a wealthy guy. far from one. but my spring rifles are the very best you can buy. one of them. one of my hw80's was a 2nd hand near-wreck l had virtually given to me to have a go at restoring and reblueing. lt is now as sweet to look at and shoot as its as-new sister in my rack. lt serves to show how tough and eminantly restorable a top quality rifle is. and. they are in a class of their own when it comes to handling and razor sharp accuracy with consistent power. a superlative build quality and the absolute guarantee that l'm shooting with a rifle that leaves me in no doubt that it is not going to fall apart or fail in any way. l can focus on a rabbit at anything up to 55 metres -not yards-metres and it's dead with a clean. humanely accurate no-bollocks shot. That's the level of performane l demand of my shooting skills. my fieldcraft and choices of rifle. lt all gets me on to my target wherever it appears in my field.

l don't have a problem with anyone buying a cheaper smk or gamo or hatstand or whatever. it's not my money. not my affair. But don't try to tell me these guns will match a top weihrauch or air arms spring rifle for smoothness of trigger. balance. build quality. durability or long range precision accuracy.

Because they won't. they just bloody won't. :no: :no: :no:

finally l bought my oldest gun. my hw80 .22 new in the year 2000 and it still performs as superbly as it did from the start. lt cost 230 quid then brand new. how many cheap-as-chips guns has any one person else got through over the last decade to that one rifle l've had all this time... :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

simon

Edited by pianoman

Er you got an FAC for that?

FAC for what ??? if you mean the 52, that was on the owners FAC 7 years ago when I used it !! This is an airgun forum and people discuss FAC weapons as well so avoid jumping at folk that discuss them, The implication they may be breaking the law will not be appreciated, especially by FAC holders like myself!.

Secret agent eh!! copper, or coppers grass maybe !?? :hmm::D:D

ATB