building up stamina

well my lurcher bitch gets a long walk each day and a through her dummy for her to retrieve countless times...but i hear of people running dogs next to cars bikes etc....is it neccassery or do i need to do more

with the terriers i build up muscle and stamina by swimming them in the local like up and down the jetty but it aint deep enough for the lurcher

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i seen a documentry about 20 years ago following an old poacher he was telling all the tricks he knew he had a beddlington greyhound type lurcher and he started takeing it on his old peddle bike at just above walking pace started of for a couple of mile and over a couple of months before the lamping started the dog and him was clocking up 10 or 12 mile every day but whither that builds up stamina or just fitness i dont no but his dog could certinly run 3or 4 nights with no probs and they say the fitter your dog is the lest chance of picking up wee injurys and they recover quicker from a hard night in the field

well my lurcher bitch gets a long walk each day and a through her dummy for her to retrieve countless times...but i hear of people running dogs next to cars bikes etc....is it neccassery or do i need to do more

with the terriers i build up muscle and stamina by swimming them in the local like up and down the jetty but it aint deep enough for the lurcher

Stamina will be built up with fitness, if you are working your dog it should be fit anyway from its running, if not doing too much then a treadmill can be usefull, half an hour starting slow then build up, final 15 min good canter, or if got cycle track let it run beside you 4-5 miles a day.

If you are lamping 3-4 nights a week, do the above pre season then if getting plenty of slips it should be natural fit.

Guest Gavkent

i feed 27% protein food, start dog trotting next to car at about 10 to 15 mph on country lanes (keeps claws short and pads thick) start 2 miles every other day, next week 3 miles next week 4miles, and so on, but normally start in july august time, then when running in winter just once or twice a week, not letting their legs bend just a trot. then let have 5 min run about to loosen up. but im not expert but works for mine.

work the f**k outa them! ive worked cooper for 4 days straight from 4:30 pm to 10:30pm, he's rooted at the moment but were going lamping tonight, he'll get 1 whole days rest and be on the foxes sunday. He's the most fittest he's every been :)

just work them like you've never done bofroe :yes:

Edited by victor
  • 2 months later...

Hi all i have a bull x lurcher who had gasterenteritis just over a year ago and it's took me till now to get a decent weight back on him. He always been fast and had no problem working but now i'd like to build some tone up on him. Any recomendations???

Don know that much about it,but i was told a few years back that the muscles a dog uses when swimming are not the same muscles it uses when running,or the muscles are used in different ways?

Personally i think as long as they are well fed and excercised regularly,chasing game etc. then thats as much as you need to do.

Don know that much about it,but i was told a few years back that the muscles a dog uses when swimming are not the same muscles it uses when running,or the muscles are used in different ways?

Personally i think as long as they are well fed and excercised regularly,chasing game etc. then thats as much as you need to do.

agree with donk,

bike riding is good way of toning up, when not working or free running, just be careful you don't overdo it

stamina is something that the dogs have been bred with i don't think you can put more in what ever the cross

Edited by surrey lass

All of my dogs, the Afghans and the Lurchers are packed with muscles (apart from the very oldies) and the Afghans can literally pluck a pigeon from the air and have even been known to leap up and catch Swallows, which my Vet was amazed at. (poor buggers, fly all this way, then get grabbed in mid air) My lot never walk anywhere, they always either trot or run. I admit I'm lucky because we have enough room for them to free run. I have a very elderly friend who has Great Danes and even though she is too old to walk them they all have very good muscles cos she runs them next to her car. I have to say this has lead to a couple of disasters, resulting in her dogs twice getting into a scrap and her being complained about to the Police, so I would not recommend that as being the way forward. Not to mention the prospect of the dog buggering off and getting hit by a car.

Good food, good protein and free running is my advice. I think the racing greyhounds have supplements but cant think of the name of it.

Deborah

Guest Hightower

Its all good working a dog fit..

But an unfit dog attracts injurys!!!!!!

You expect John Prescott to run a marathon!!!!!!

Use your heads folks its common sense..