to all lurchermen

hello all, all this recent debate over bull x,s has started the cogs turning and got me wondering about all different lurchers...what i have been wondering is about the versatility of a doberman x grehound.. the shape, size and musclature of the doberman would appear to lend itself perfectly to this mating and so im wondering if anyone has either tried it, or is trying it and the results of such a cross...and before anyone starts slating me for this post, dont bother......cause i dont give a damn...

If it's shape, size and muscle you want in the cross wouldn't a pure greyhound or a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 bull be a better option.

The reason you cross a greyhound with another breed for a lurcher is for drive and hunting ability / instinct. A doberman possess neither.

As for collies and pit bulls, they're full of drive and hunting instinct.

Silly crosses are one of the reasons dogs homes are full of lurchers, JMHO.

And Temp= nervousness, my sister-in-law had one. A good guard, good with family, but very nervous with any body else :( . Its a big prob with the breed, i know you can nervousness in any dog but why look for it.?????

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I honestly don't knw why the Doberman isn't used, (much), in producing lurchers here. They are definately used in Australia and N.Z., crossed with Greys and Stags, admittedly for use on pigs, not the type of game we have here. In the Dobermans make up is Greyhound and Manchester, (or Black & Tan ), terrier, so the sporting dog is in there. To say a Doberman has no drive or hunting instinct is simlpy not true. My own has more drive than most hunting breeds, and has been used many times when she was younger for flushing roe and fox from cover, to the lurchers, and has been used for flushing game to a Harris. She even took the odd rabbit on the lamp, and even daytime, more by good luck than ability !!! As many who have seen her will verify, if a fox is at home she lets you know in no uncertain manner !!! I would have a cross, but 1/4 not 1/2. They have the stamina and bite power to deal with anything we hunt here. This is just my oppinion of one dog; others may have a different opinion of Doberman they have owned.

Cheers.

Dobermans as a breed are only about 200 years old, they were bred exclusively for manwork......in fact they had to have a bit of agression bred out of them in the early days to make them easier to handle.

As for what type of lurcher they would make, well I have no experience of a Dobe x lurcher, but Charpolski is a sound man and will tell it like it is.

Everyone is looking for the next super cross....but there are more than enough proven crosses out there.......why feck about?

Your last sentence is dead right Wilf :clapper:

I also agree with Bird etc.

The Doberman, if bred right, can be a pretty handy dog as a guard breed, but unfortunatley spurred on by Zeus and Appollo and a crappy film called The Doberman Gang they hit a boom in the early 80's and ten ton of shite was bred!!!

Dobies look athletic enough but in their movement they are as stiff as boards, never seen one out excercising that would give me any reason to think it would suit a lurcher x. None had a decent gait, none could turn and there is no agility in free movement what so ever.... And as Bird said, to cap it off, most bred over here are fecking skittish to say the least!

Bosun, I agree with most of what you say; it depends on the lines. Almost all bred here are purely for show. Mine was bred in Holland, from Duch/German working lines, and imported here by me from the Middle East. She is a racier , finer type than you get here. It's also correct that the lines here seldom reach a great age, but mine is about 12 and still very fit for her age.

Cheers.

Bosun, I agree with most of what you say; it depends on the lines. Almost all bred here are purely for show. Mine was bred in Holland, from Duch/German working lines, and imported here by me from the Middle East. She is a racier , finer type than you get here. It's also correct that the lines here seldom reach a great age, but mine is about 12 and still very fit for her age.

Cheers.

Yep Cp, I'd agree with that, once had the 'pleasure' of a German import on my arm.... he really was a different animal!

I just always try to make the point on here, that most 'weirdo' crosses, bred by your average Joe, using the nearest available animal, because he hear'd it could, just wouldn't make the grade as a working lurcher.

Try a 'new' cross the right way by all means, source and breed from the 'right' animals, test them in the fire and be brutally honest about the results. That said, if the right person did do this and put his heart into it, would that be the same for the other 7 or 8 that also bought into this idea..... Rescue centres are full enough!

dobermanns have greyhound in there gentics anyway, they are very intelligent and willing to please there owner, if people are running gsd x's succesfully then why not a dobie x? if little staffies x greys can make half decent dogs a dobie should do. although ive been told it quite hard to get a decent dobie now adays with original .traits

• 2 weeks later...