Good read from start to finish.....

But i have to ask why u all nit picking on the 10/22 guy??

You only get out a dog what u put into a dog regradless to the breeding. Some are piss some are good

its all luck ov the draw and what u put into them ie effort!!!!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You only get out a dog what you put into a dog regradless to the breeding. its all luck of the draw and what you put into them ie effort!!!!

Hi Terrie,

The nature/nurture debate has always raged on, training and development is essential in bringing on any dog and you may get the odd world beater via some good fortune or fluke but nobody in their right mind would contemplate breeding from non-workers whether its a terrier, gundog, lurcher etc etc.

my mates Russell bitch barely gets a mark on it after a dig ! he has 2 dog pups for sale

no pedigree with him and i didnt even ask for one (to be honest)thats all i cared about was is he going to do the job and suit me,and so far so good,i definatley think hes a cross tho with prob a russell,but i dont really give a shit has long has he keeps doing his thing he will stay :)

Milo,

Handsome is as handsome does. looking for a couple of dogs that will sound/mix a bit. trying to get as much information on bayers/mixers or sounders so anyone who has any information on them write back.

Voon.

Hi Steve,

Seen that add there, will be looking for a dog and bitch or maybe a trio. not ready for the dogs yet have to build a kennel block. but keep me mind for next year if you or your mate are planning any litters.

Voon.

I know Plummer was an expert on working terriers; hell, he wrote the books to prove it, great reads, I love fiction. Anyway, I know many here have a down on Borders - such is life - but the breed standard for a Border starts: 'Essentially a working terrier'; the Parson has a similar clause. I couldn't see anything like this in Plummer's own Breed Standard. Does that tell us anything?

Over to you Keeps...

First sentence of the original club's (PTA) breed standard for plummer terriers: "Working role: To hunt ground vermin, going to ground when required, but to act as an all purpose sporting dog."

http://www.plummerterrierassociation.org/T...%20STANDARD.htm

Forgive my ignorance but this is what I made my rather all encompassing comment based upon:

'General Character

A Plummer Terrier should be strong, hardy, active and adaptable, with terrier characteristics and as much substance as possible. They should be equally at home in the house as in the kennel, be highly intelligent, courageous and tenacious. Affectionate, loyal and trustworthy with family and friends.

Yet should present a bright, alert, appearance without displaying any excessive aggression or nervousness.

Head

Medium sized, full of quality with strong bones and powerful cheek and jaw muscles. Slight bull terrier characteristics are encouraged as is a well defined stop.

Ears Dropped, rounded, and neatly pinned to head. Prick or rose ears are not encouraged.

Eyes Dark, prominent and oval, set widely apart.

Muzzle Strong, Lips close with no excessive looseness. Teeth strong and even with full scissor bite.

Neck Strong, elegant, especially in the case of bitches, and well carried.

Shoulders and forelegs Strong, well laid back and developed without excessive muscle tone. Forelegs should be set square and straight and not tied in . Feet should be well shaped, and dense. No resemblance of bend in front.

Back, hindquarters and hind legs Back and loins, muscular, strong and well coupled, with well defined muscle development. Hindquarters should be lengthy and strong, with a well set on tail. Hind legs - second thigh should be strong and muscular. Hocks clean and flat, turning neither inwards nor outwards. The hind leg must not be too bent. feet well shaped and dense.

Body Square in appearance when viewed from side i.e. distance of shoulder to ground. Depth through the heart should be easily spanned by two hands placed just behind the shoulders.

Tail Carried high. Preferably docked and balanced to the size of the dog. Curled tails not encouraged.

Coat Short, close and without guard hairs, yet with the ability to withstand weather. Loose / broken coats not acceptable.

Colour and markings A bright fiery red with white. Full cape markings from head to tail, or a broad collar of white between head and shoulders are encouraged. Underside of the belly and chest, front and rear legs should be white although flecking is acceptable. Head either solid colour, or with stripe or badger marked. Red self -coloured terriers, tri-coloured, brindle black or black and white terriers should not be encouraged.

Height Maximum height to the shoulder, dog or bitch 14 inches.

Movement Should be light ,energetic, free, true and forcible and cover the ground. Hocks should be flexed under the body with straight powerful leverage.

Faults Undershot or overshot mouths. Unsoundness, coarseness or displaying a hereditary fault.

Breed standard written by DB Plummer 2000

Revised 2004 by PTCGB'

So, tell me Keeps, did Plummer write this standard or not? If so, were Plummer's Plummers not genuine Plummers? Which are the real Plummers? They all look alike to me?

Nuv

I know Plummer was an expert on working terriers; hell, he wrote the books to prove it, great reads, I love fiction. Anyway, I know many here have a down on Borders - such is life - but the breed standard for a Border starts: 'Essentially a working terrier'; the Parson has a similar clause. I couldn't see anything like this in Plummer's own Breed Standard. Does that tell us anything?

Over to you Keeps...

First sentence of the original club's (PTA) breed standard for plummer terriers: "Working role: To hunt ground vermin, going to ground when required, but to act as an all purpose sporting dog."

Forgive my ignorance but this is what I made my rather all encompassing comment based upon:

'General Character

A Plummer Terrier should be strong, hardy, active and adaptable, with terrier characteristics and as much substance as possible. They should be equally at home in the house as in the kennel, be highly intelligent, courageous and tenacious. Affectionate, loyal and trustworthy with family and friends.

Yet should present a bright, alert, appearance without displaying any excessive aggression or nervousness.

Head

Medium sized, full of quality with strong bones and powerful cheek and jaw muscles. Slight bull terrier characteristics are encouraged as is a well defined stop.

Ears Dropped, rounded, and neatly pinned to head. Prick or rose ears are not encouraged.

Muzzle Strong, Lips close with no excessive looseness. Teeth strong and even with full scissor bite.

Shoulders and forelegs Strong, well laid back and developed without excessive muscle tone. Forelegs should be set square and straight and not tied in . Feet should be well shaped, and dense. No resemblance of bend in front.

Back, hindquarters and hind legs Back and loins, muscular, strong and well coupled, with well defined muscle development. Hindquarters should be lengthy and strong, with a well set on tail. Hind legs - second thigh should be strong and muscular. Hocks clean and flat, turning neither inwards nor outwards. The hind leg must not be too bent. feet well shaped and dense.

Body Square in appearance when viewed from side i.e. distance of shoulder to ground. Depth through the heart should be easily spanned by two hands placed just behind the shoulders.

Tail Carried high. Preferably docked and balanced to the size of the dog. Curled tails not encouraged.

Coat Short, close and without guard hairs, yet with the ability to withstand weather. Loose / broken coats not acceptable.

Colour and markings A bright fiery red with white. Full cape markings from head to tail, or a broad collar of white between head and shoulders are encouraged. Underside of the belly and chest, front and rear legs should be white although flecking is acceptable. Head either solid colour, or with stripe or badger marked. Red self -coloured terriers, tri-coloured, brindle black or black and white terriers should not be encouraged.

Movement Should be light ,energetic, free, true and forcible and cover the ground. Hocks should be flexed under the body with straight powerful leverage.

Faults Undershot or overshot mouths. Unsoundness, coarseness or displaying a hereditary fault.

Revised 2004 by PTCGB'

So, tell me Keeps, did Plummer write this standard or not? If so, were Plummer's Plummers not genuine Plummers? Which are the real Plummers? They all look alike to me?

Nuv

Nuv if you read to the bottom it was revised by the "PTCGB" also known as 10/22 on here, shocking isnt it. The PTA standard is the one I quoted, which hasnt drifted as far away from DBPs original as the PTCGB puppy farmers has.

Over to you Keeps...

'General Character

Head

Revised 2004 by PTCGB'

Nuv

Nuv if you read to the bottom it was revised by the "PTCGB" also known as 10/22 on here, shocking isnt it. The PTA standard is the one I quoted, which hasnt drifted as far away from DBPs original as the PTCGB puppy farmers has.

keeps :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

Over to you Keeps...

'General Character

Head

Revised 2004 by PTCGB'

Nuv

I did indeed read that keeps:

I'm not that interested, more intrigued: could you furnish us with a copy of the original standard or was that it, save for some revision?

My own view, as you know, is Plummers aren't earthdogs, but that's a different issue, and, let's not get the thread hijacked; the fan of yours in the previous post with the silly nonsensical hand clapping emoticons will probably wanna join, but we can ignore him. I ask a genuine question.

Nuv

It was revised to bring it up to date with goverment legisalation , nothing more , Plummer wrote it for the PTCGB, the club still has the original document from him - does the pta, wpt or the epts?? it will continue to be revised as per legislation as and when it is needed. not shocking - FACT, mrs medical secretary (alias)keeps

What my previous job has to do with this thread I really do not know :unsure: but I haven't worked as a medical secretary for more than 11 years :wacko:

My last reply on this thread also, Im not getting into any arguments with idiots :bye:

Over to you Keeps...

'General Character

Head

Revised 2004 by PTCGB'

Nuv

I'm not that interested, more intrigued: could you furnish us with a copy of the original standard or was that it, save for some revision?

My own view, as you know, is Plummers aren't earthdogs, but that's a different issue, and, let's not get the thread hijacked; the fan of yours in the previous post with the silly nonsensical hand clapping emoticons will probably wanna join, but we can ignore him. I ask a genuine question.

Nuv

nuv my post was nothing against you. i just cant beleave all the sh*te makes me laugh. its just that some people on here spend to much time in doors instead of being out working there dogs isnt that what the game is all about ?? i myself am like keeps and only interseted in the working side. nuv your right in saying that the plummer is NOT a out and out earthdog. just think keeps is given to much stick just for working and enjoying her dogs sometimes !!

Over to you Keeps...

'General Character

Head

Revised 2004 by PTCGB'

Nuv

Nuv

nuv my post was nothing against you. i just cant beleave all the sh*te makes me laugh. its just that some people on here spend to much time in doors instead of being out working there dogs isnt that what the game is all about ?? i myself am like keeps and only interseted in the working side. nuv your right in saying that the plummer is NOT a out and out earthdog. just think keeps is given to much stick just for working and enjoying her dogs sometimes !!

Likewise; as I asked - more through curiosity than otherwise - what is a true Plummer? Keeps ignored that part of the question.

I would say a true plummer is a terrier bred down from dbp's original stock,his friends at the time called the said dogs plummers and the name has stuck.The plummer terrier has never been bred as an out and out earth dog and i know of no owners who claim them to be out and out earth dogs,a sporting terrier thats is capable of doing earth work amongst other dog work is what a lot of us are striving for with our plummers.I think the standard changing is a load of old baloney,to fit in with legislation??????,the only thing changed is Tim,you can't dock,nothing else.There are a few litters being born each year that have had some thinking about work gone into there breeding,fully tested parents,worker to worker bred and with every chance of making the grade as full working terriers as any breed.The biggest problem with this breed is the amount of doubters in them and i really do think it's usally down to dbp himself and the way he was.Multi purpose working terriers is what i would call a plummer and with mine i can work long nets,ferret,rat,bush and DIG,really what more would you want,gun dog retrieving style?,(a plummer came second in the scurry at the welsh game fair last year)there's a few can do this as well!.

• 3 weeks later...
10/22,

How much you looking for the pups.

Voon.

they're advertised here

http://www.ukclassifieds.co.uk/plummer_ter...es-o229741.html

edited to add, that was a year ago, so maybe its changed..

£400 to £500 a pup sorry lads i thought we were all hard workin down to earth lads not lords :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: