a stroll down memory lane!!!!

this has probably been done before.........but i was talking to an old school pal the other day and naturally we started talking about the good old days.........we said our farwells and it left me thinking for somtime.........about how things used to be...........and the things i missed !!!

heres some of them:

milk churns on milk stands.......and the old cap, and tweed jacket wearing farmer, dropping them off in his old "grey fergie" with matching trailer.

haystacks.

the smell of castrol R..........Mmmmmm lovely

council workers cutting the road side grass with sythes......used to love watching them keep a keen edge with their cigar stone.

bells on police cars.

being able to go out without seeing anybody all day and not worrying about leaving the back door unlocked!!

that will do for now...........starting to show my age.

please add your own!!

cheers sean

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes, milk churns - I used to help my grandad with the milking and I remember the sound of them as he rolled them across the yard. And the sound of the milking machines too.

And the corona man coming with a van full of pop bottles - we got ice cream soda.

Johnny Morris on Animal Magic.

Fields full of butterflies.

The rag and bone man.

Oh yes, milk churns - I used to help my grandad with the milking and I remember the sound of them as he rolled them across the yard. And the sound of the milking machines too.

And the corona man coming with a van full of pop bottles - we got ice cream soda.

Johnny Morris on Animal Magic.

Fields full of butterflies.

The rag and bone man.

bloody hell..............the rag and bone man!!!!

ours used to come round on a horse and cart...........never without a woodbine!!!!

then he up graded to a transit pick up................and everyone started calling him a p***y!!!!!

but he was just the same..............just a different mode of transport!!!!

Bloody hell you lot of ole gits, you would never catch me getting old.

Black jacks and fruit salads 4 for a penny!

Penny chews that were a penny!

Three channels on the black and white TV, pile of shillings on the top for the twisty handle meter on the back!

Spangles !!!

penny blackjacks drumsticks and refreshers,

grew up about a mile from swizzels factory so we always got them free, i should really be fat the amount i used to eat, had a refresher bar the other day and it just didnt taste the same, either they've changed the recipie or my taste buds are fecked

Bloody hell you lot of ole gits, you would never catch me getting old.

Black jacks and fruit salads 4 for a penny!

Penny chews that were a penny!

Three channels on the black and white TV, pile of shillings on the top for the twisty handle meter on the back!

Spangles !!!

its all coming back now gav....................we used to get a shilling a week pocket money.....and that would buy a huge bag of black jacks and fruit salads............or cola cubes and pear drops!!!!

Out side toilets, with ya gran tearing up the news papers to thread string through for the back of the bog door.

Sean you have unleashed a monter now, I thought I was just having a senile moment, its all coming back yeah!!

i can remember the old woman in the shop used to sell me five fags

if i never had money for ten. what shop would do that now.

we had similar.............you could buy a single fag and a single match for 10p!!!!!!

not that i ever did...........someone told me :whistling:

Jammie dodgers & wagon wheels were massive when i was little like dinner plates , there tiny now :( i had milk at school in a glass bottle , wore shorts & wellies to play out in ,

It stayed light in june till gone ten oclock & the 6 weeks holliday lasted for ever , summers were well sunny , i had bay city rollers trousers & a scarf & i rememer my first record i brought from the post office :laugh:

Jubblies took you a week to get through they were so big :laugh:

I remember when i was around 5 my brother throwing his plastic bricks in the coal fire & watching the plastic melt on the grate , i am still scared of fire to this day , thats the most vivid memory i still have from my childhood , hearing the flames spitting as it ate the plastic, bloody horrible it it is :cry:

Jammie dodgers & wagon wheels were massive when i was little like dinner plates , there tiny now :( i had milk at school in a glass bottle , wore shorts & wellies to play out in ,

It stayed light in june till gone ten oclock & the 6 weeks holliday lasted for ever , summers were well sunny , i had bay city rollers trousers & a scarf & i rememer my first record i brought from the post office :laugh:

I remember when i was around 5 my brother throwing his plastic bricks in the coal fire & watching the plastic melt on the grate , i am still scared of fire to this day , thats the most vivid memory i still have from my childhood , hearing the flames spitting as it ate the plastic, bloody horrible it it is :cry:

curly wurly's as well kay............i'd swear they where 4 foot long and 12" wide when they first came out!!!!!!

the plastic brick story reminds me of when i was a similar age and thought i would help my mum....by ironong her nylon slippers..............can still smell the burning now!!!!!!!!

curly wurly's as well kay............i'd swear they where 4 foot long and 12" wide when they first came out!!!!!!

the plastic brick story reminds me of when i was a similar age and thought i would help my mum....by ironong her nylon slippers..............can still smell the burning now!!!!!!!!

Oh god everything was bigger or seemed it then :laugh: i remember carrying blue engineering bricks back with my dad till he had enough to build a small rockery thing, and helping him make briquettes in a mould out of slack from the coal bunker so the coal man didnt visit so often.

God its all flooding back now :laugh: i will be in tears in a min :laugh: and the good hiding i had when i spent the ten bob me mom gave me to get a saving stamp from school :laugh: i was a willfull little sod thinking about

Ginger ,the milkman's horse . He was there from the time I was old enough to notice things . .As a toddler I was allowed to feed him the burnt toast.Even then Mum was making a name for herself with culinary pyrotechnics and Dad reckoned Ginger was the fattest horse in Sussex because of it! Sadly one morning he collapsed of bloat and had to be cut out of the shafts.But this was before he reached our house so Mum was'nt to blame..The milkman had to then pass his driving test so he could do the round. Those Swappets were great too.Little cowboys ,Indians and knights with tiny intechangable weapons and little rubber saddles .Hours of fun. Then on to the teens ..The smell of a hot ,oily BSA after a run to the coast in the summer of 76 ! Now where did I put those glasses with the pink lenses?

Edited by comanche