Puppy Litters & Rescue Lurchers

The trouble is, this problem needs a coordinated strategy - people shouldn't breed shit in the first place, breeders should take responsibility for their litters by homing responsibly or culling, and dogs that don't make the grade should be neutered and rehomed or humanely pts. Instead, good working dogs and crap working dogs and f****d up dogs that bite people are being picked up every day and something has to be done with them. Many get put to sleep, some get rehomed and some of them prove to be damn good working dogs in the hands of dilligent, patient people prepared to put the work in.

I wouldn't criticise anyone for breeding their own line or buying a pup with a known history, but to suggest that all rescue dogs are rubbish is ill informed and inaccurate. I have two rescues, one's a complete diamond and one's a good hunter but hard to control and therefore a bit of a liability. My next dog will be a pup with known breeding.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought the amount of rescue dogs is going down now they are losing their popularity not many running dogs in the areas where they started in the midlands at any rate.

Im not one for grown dogs prefering the strong bond you get with rearing a pup but have had good grown dogs that have been passed on mostly when their owners couldnt see the potential though.

I would consider a resue if i had lost a dog mid season better than waiting a year for another pup or paying a lot out for a dog good blood costs money these days better to keep your own line once youve got the bloodline your happy with but accidents happen especially with a working dog thats getting some graft and at those times a rescue may just help fill the gap.

I don't know about elsewhere in the country but down here rescues are full of lurchers. A lot seem to to get dumped when travellers move on, certainly not all of them are because of this but it does seem to make a % of them. The place I got Griff from was full to the brim and i'd say 45% of the dogs there were lurchers and that was an all breed rescue.

I have absolutely no objections to people breeding litters when they have a need to, if they want a puppy themselves etc but what annoys me as Scallywag says is people breeding shit from unproven dogs just because they look nice or to make some cash etc. Far too many lurcher litters seem to be bred all over and it would be nice if some of the people looking for dogs considered a rescue. It takes time and effort to find the right dog in rescue but that can also be said of a pup too and there are an alarming number of puppies that end up in rescue too, more than I would've imagined thats for sure.

Is it simply not a case off people not schooling the pup correctly in the first place or expecting them to do a hard nights work at a few months old that they end up in rescues or dumped , could it be a case of bad workmen blame there tools

I'm not sure what the case was with Griff. He was found wandering after a travellers camp upped and left. I can only guess at why they left him (if they did) and I think they may have tried working him and at 6 months he was too young. I'm not going to say its been easy with him, he has had some huge issues from such treatment that I don't wish to think about but as I didn't actually get him to work I have persevered with him and I still think he will make a good working dog. He's 4 in october (ish) and i'd never be without him now.

I always get comments about him and asked if he's available for stud (obviously not as he's neutered) and I know thats no measure of a good working dog but for a dog that was someone elses rubbish he has become my treasure and I don't care if he works or not he's here for life.

LOL...uh,can you READ? You appear to missed a large portion of the thread.

&....it's pureBRED,dear. Now,there you go;you've learned something today & will be able to astound your peers. :clapper:

Blah blah blah .... :wankerzo4: I'll be able to astound my peers by pointing out what an absolute eejit you are :feck:

The trouble is, this problem needs a coordinated strategy - people shouldn't breed shit in the first place, breeders should take responsibility for their litters by homing responsibly or culling, and dogs that don't make the grade should be neutered and rehomed or humanely pts. Instead, good working dogs and crap working dogs and f****d up dogs that bite people are being picked up every day and something has to be done with them. Many get put to sleep, some get rehomed and some of them prove to be damn good working dogs in the hands of dilligent, patient people prepared to put the work in.

I wouldn't criticise anyone for breeding their own line or buying a pup with a known history, but to suggest that all rescue dogs are rubbish is ill informed and inaccurate. I have two rescues, one's a complete diamond and one's a good hunter but hard to control and therefore a bit of a liability. My next dog will be a pup with known breeding.

With you on that Scallywag - I'm glad the bloke who bred both my lurchers (Broomer on here) did the breeding, as he's turned out two litters of very good dogs. Both of mine were given to me because he knows they get a quality home with me. He bred to keep one back out of the second litter, but gave the one he was keeping to me after Griff was killed. It would be such a relief to see less of the money-making breeding and more responsible, thoughful breeding; sadly, we both know just how unlikely that is.

And yes Kay, I agree with you: too many people who 'get into the dog game' haven't a clue about how to raise a healthy, well trained dog. They seem to expect them to do all manor of things at far too early an age, then get shot of them when the dogs are knackered or don't do what's expected. That, combined with over breeding, is why there are such dismal numbers of running dogs in rescue/pounds etc. I've had dogs all my life, but these are my first (hopefully) working dogs - I've a lot to learn and I'm taking my time about it.

My boy was dumped at 6 months after so bad treatment. There was nothing wrong with him whatsoever and I get comments everywhere I go about him i've had him 3 years nearly and he is an outstanding dog. As for an outstanding worker, time will tell.

I agree with LG, the problem tends to lie with the idiots that dump the dogs, not the dogs themselves. I'm sorry Kate but how do you know that these 'dumped mutts' aren't quality dogs! Dogs end up in rescue for all sorts of reasons and rescue german shepards have gone on to make good police dogs etc so why not rescue lurchers good workers.

I'm glad not everyone has such narrow minded views and there are people prepared to take on rescue dogs rather than breed more needless litters!

To repeat...I can tell quality from crap & prefer quality.

You go ahead & take all the junk you want,wuv em to death,I don't care. But...kindly learn how to spell SHEPHERD-as in "HERDS sheep"!-& don't tell me to do the same.

I've been doing my 100% purebred,registered,titled dogs for coming on 40yrs.now. I have "DISCRIMINATING TASTE",not "narrow-minded views" *&* what business is it of yours to push mutts on anybody let alone me,pray tell?

Put your dummy back in :censored: Nobody suggested that you take a rescue dog in. Nobody is pushing anything on you :big_boss: And pointing out people's spelling errors is :thumbdown: Yer, that really shows discriminating taste :wallbash:

Go stroke your purebreed titled dogs .... apparently you've nowt much to add to the OP's discussion.

LOL...uh,can you READ? You appear to missed a large portion of the thread.

&....it's pureBRED,dear. Now,there you go;you've learned something today & will be able to astound your peers. :clapper:

heres somfin 4 kate to learn,theres no room 4 twats like you on ear,[bANNED TEXT] yer ead shoved up yer arse,u got got a dictionary up there 2 chew on or [bANNED TEXT]

I have always had rescued running dogs, they have all been great dogs, for me!

I am not against breeding and think if you are going to work your dog it is best to know what you are getting. I love the challenge of bringing a rescue adult dog on! I think for a change I may buy a pup for the first time in my life, but I have to admit I am struggling with the idea, knowing there are more of my lot out there needing someone like me. For once I want the easy option. I want to choose my pup, and hopefully not have a hand shy, food shy nervous dog that needs extra care just to have a normal life! I have just found some info about my lurcher. Looks like the guy put some thought into what he was breeding but in the end left all the pups in a shed for 6 mths and then dumped them on rescue, very sad and a waste :thumbdown:

Getting a rescue dog is hit and miss......ya dont know what your going to get.

If your after a pet or general moocher then go for it but id preffer to get a pup from good stuff and bring it on myself, that way your giving your self a better chance of getting what you want out of a dog.

Witton

I think reddog's point is very valid. Potential lurcher owners need to be realistic and honest about how much work they can give a dog and perhaps should think more about the qualities a pup has been bred for.

I could afford to buy a big name dog with an impeccable working pedigree but I couldn't give it the amount of work it should be doing. Result would likely be an unhappy dog, unhappy owner and yet another lurcher passed on to eventually end up in a rescue.

There's every justification for breeding top class lurchers (for those who need the right tools for the job) but for part-time "one for the pot" guys like myself (who disagree with the ban but will adhere to the law) a so-called POS would do the job fine.

With you and reddog on that. I suspect the majority of working lurcher owners are really in the same boat, but the allure of finding a top class dog often overrides common sense about how much work they will really do. My dog went through four or five homes before she came to me, and although she is a long, long way from being a good lurcher, we' ve had some good times bothering the wildlife over the years. Good phrase that- part time 'one for the pot'- describes my lurcher requirements well. I would like to think that I will always have running dogs around, but it will always be for fun. So long as I get along with the dog, and the dog can use her ability to hunt, that is good enough for me.

When the time comes to find another lurcher, I reckon I will be open minded about whether to have a pup or a second hand dog. Wouldn' t buy from a commercial or 'in it for the money' home breeder though- regardless of the pros and cons of their pups, I do not wish to encourage lurcher breeding for money.

Why on earth does having a rescue lurcher mean I, or anyone else has a brain of pink much?! I don't think a brain of pink mush would've gotten me a levels at the grades I got nor will it get me a midwifery degree.

Taking pathetic pot shots at people is, well pathetic 'sweetie'! It'll certainly do you no favours here, we may not all agree on everything but one thing I will say about this site and the majority of the people is that is friendly and most manage to get by without slagging one another off for choices that they make with their lives!

As you only have purebred dogs Kate you clearly don't have lurchers so who are you to comment on who chooses a rescue lurcher and who doesn't!

:wallbash::wallbash: honeypie,you can't even manage a mature adult,stick-to-the-topic discussion,can you? What on earth has your sexual proclivities to do w/anything?

None of the dogs being dumped are my responsibility or my problem. I no more weep & wail over it than I would a whale-beaching or a truckload of chickens overturning.

Not that it's any of your business...any more than my choice of breed is....or any other facet of my personal life that you persist in dragging into a simple Q&A session is.....I've been doing my breed since'71. Breeding, showing,hunt/working,test/trialing,grooming,handling,training,(other dogs as well as my own),judging internationally....

Nope,not a humaniac.

smooch

..... Kate, you really are a first class ass :shok::chair:

If "having a heart" means ones brains turn into syrupy pink mush at the mere thought of all da poor wittle doggies,then,no thanks,I stick to having a brain. It's more useful. It keeps me from gushing over the same organizations who've gutted your rights to hunt,dock,crop,own whatever breed you want.....& who's goals are to completely remove ALL human/animal contact.

If you read my post you'll see that although I am interested in and involved in lurcher rescue my brain has not turned to pink mush and I don't think the hunting animals we have are 'wittle doggie woggies'. I have no objection to culling or putting dogs to sleep humanely if necessary. Stereotyping is a dull witted way to try to argue your case.

And I don't see anyone on here 'gushing' over any organisations, let alone those that have and do oppose hunting etc. What's more, the rescues I'm talking about certainly haven't had a hand in any of this. I've got no problem with strong opinions strongly stated, but get your information right or you'll end up looking like a twat.

I can't see kate lasting here very long :censored: kate can you tell me why you come on here push people around when your a newbie and do you have a heart? From reading your previous posts on this topic alone then i doubt it very much as you show no sign's of it when refering too rescue centres and such great organisations ! Why you cant just agree with what cúagusgiorraí is saying because hes 100% right, is beonde me it really is and you know it does.

Some how i smell anti as they love too throw a spaner in the works :censored::censored:

rotflmfao.......sweetie,I'm not "new" anywhere. I've probaby buried more good dogs than you've ever met.

I had the (obviously incorrect )impression the even the UK still had the concept of free speech. I've repeated that *I* don't ever want any sort of mutt but that *YOU* can have all you want...you can kiss em on der black doggy-woggy lips for all I care. I find it amazing how no one else can read that OR manage to grant me the same freedom of choice. If ya'll want a simple circle-jerk of "oooo,you're so right & SO kindly", fine;just say so & any dissenting opinions won't bother & you can all go to the same chiropractor for shoulder dislocations from patting yourselves on the back.

If "having a heart" means ones brains turn into syrupy pink mush at the mere thought of all da poor wittle doggies,then,no thanks,I stick to having a brain. It's more useful. It keeps me from gushing over the same organizations who've gutted your rights to hunt,dock,crop,own whatever breed you want.....& who's goals are to completely remove ALL human/animal contact.

Oh my! Sweetie, you really are something else! And just a quick check on your grammar, maybe it is wise to correct 'ones brains' to 'ones brain' or do you refer to both your brain cells? Your opinion is greatly welcomed, but your derogatory and belittling manner is just taking the piss! I'm not sure where you are from? Different places, different circumstances, rescue around the world is completely different.

I think, to begin with, it should be noted that lurchers are mutts!! There are now so many bred with different breeds in their lines, even calling them lurchers is far fetched.

Also, considering that about 80% of lurchers in rescues are failed workers, or dumped injured lurchers, your "dont give a damn" attitude is the very reason why rescues exhist.

I think it should also be noted that many folks on this board have very succesfully taken rescue lurchers and worked them too.

Even the most careful of breeding does not ensure a wonderful working dog. And those living in "syrupy pink mush" pet homes are quite capable of still performing 100%. You chose a dog for the reasons why you want a dog.

It is quite simple. If every breeder was good and thought of the hounds they keep and bring into this world, and are responsible for, we wouldn't require rescues. Or do you believe it is ok to keep churning them out to be disposed of when and if it suits?

Or, on the other hand - could some one please inform my rescue lurcher that she really isnt 'of grade' and shouldn't be catching the prey she is :whistling: But saying that, she has bull in her, so isn't really a 'lurcher' - so does she count? :victory: