Just wondering if I am on my own on this one

Was out lamping this evening with a lad who lives close by. He has two lurchers, and runs them on regular basics, so he knows the ropes, or so you would think. Is it me, am I perfect, don’t think so, but how the f**k can you manage to slip a dog when another dog is in full flight, I mean my bitch was up the bunnies hole, and what does mallet head do, he slips his lurcher, guess what happened next????

All hell broke loose, both dogs ended up having a bash at each other, bunny ended up in two wee bits on the ground, but I was able to recall my bitch. I mean it’s not fucken rocket science; you slip one dog at a time, and take turns to slip your dog, simple.

I learned the knack of slipping my bitch from another friend of mine, knowing when the right time was to release her, giving her every chance to catch, and ensuring not to slip my bitch while another dog was in flight, is it really that hard to grasp, an experienced lamping partner is a must when you are out and about. It makes the job half the task, knowing you can rely on your lamping partner takes away the worry of what happened tonight.

i have two lurchers..a very good friend who i shoot with regualy came out with me with the dogs..on the way to the ground i went through all the blerb you tell new people ie never slip two dogs together.....dont try to kick the rabbit if it heads back towards you with the dog chasing it because youll get a broken leg etc etc etc...we get out the van,walk into the field.i say i'll slip my dog first...my dog runs perfectly catches and is heading back to me (a proud moment!!! just got him to retreve to hand) :clapper: ...feck me my other dog pulls his head back through his collar and runs after bryne..months and months of work down the drain now dog wont retreve :thumbdown: .....so i restrane myself and dont swear much at him....next field i tell him to slip his dog...sid goes off..rabbit turns back and runs toward us, my mate try's to kick the dam rabbit miss's.. sid hits him flat out bounces of him and hits me and my dog...by this time im pissed off,but he's a good mate and i decide not to give him a cluson shaped dent in his head!!! :angry: ....we walk back to the van to go to another farm and i go back through the does and feckin donts of lamping...ureaka the penny drops he understands,mission complete!!! :thumbs: ....next farm...walk into a perfect field...where the perfect rabbits are sat in the middle!! i say i'll slip my dog??...bryn runs straight up the beam like a missile..both rabbits take off, bryne goes for one i push the lamp onto it and feck sid my other dog comes hammering past me!!! :doh::o .....neither rabbit is court!! both dogs miles away from us squaring up to each other..my shouts to control the dogs sent most of the rabbits in shropshire back to the burrows.....i end up with a dog with a dodgy shoulder,the other wont retreve to hand and doesnt want to give you the rabbit,a broken cluson lamp and my mate gets a cluson shaped dent in his head. :blink::angry::whistling::wallbash:........feckin field craft and lamping with dogs is beyond some people how ever you try to tell them :o

Guest Frank

A Farmer i use to know a while back, who got too old to lamp, once said to me and my mate, when we were very young, ''Use your dogs right in these feilds and you will get a few rabbits...''...

I have done this ever since and it seems to have worked... ;)

got my one of my lurchers of someone who used be on here brill dog just a little too eager, would overshoot started to get a hard mouth always wondered why untill i realised he had been slipped with another dog (in fact, as i found out later, it was his sister talk about sibling rivalry) has taken a while for him to realise that it is all for him now if you know what i mean, no competition with another dog.

although saying that i used to know a bloke that ran a pair good team as well

woz .... i know where your coming from LOL had a similar experience myself thats why i go out alone now too many "experts"

cheers

anton

got my one of my lurchers of someone who used be on here brill dog just a little too eager, would overshoot started to get a hard mouth always wondered why untill i realised he had been slipped with another dog (in fact, as i found out later, it was his sister talk about sibling rivalry) has taken a while for him to realise that it is all for him now if you know what i mean, no competition with another dog.

although saying that i used to know a bloke that ran a pair good team as well

woz .... i know where your coming from LOL had a similar experience myself thats why i go out alone now too many "experts"

cheers

anton

Spot on. plus if you have a keen dog, when you hold it back while the other dog as a run, they can

go mad to get to the beam :wallbash: and even yaping :censored: , its ok as long as your mate

and his dog know the score :victory: I go on my own most times.

BIRD

What kind of eejits are you lot paling round with :blink: I've not been lamping yet - but if someone who knows tells me what to do/not to do, I'd follow their instructions and do like I was told! Especially since I don't know much about it. Will get my turn next season tho :thumbs:

What kind of eejits are you lot paling round with :blink: I've not been lamping yet - but if someone who knows tells me what to do/not to do, I'd follow their instructions and do like I was told! Especially since I don't know much about it. Will get my turn next season tho :thumbs:

Dont pal around with him, he lives close by.

But you can be sure I wont be in a field with him again :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I met up with a lad of here a while ago and he brought a mate out with him. We lamped from the car not seeing what we wanted we ran a few hares. His mate had these stupid bull x 's running around of the lead and knocking my bitch off the hares. I stayed in the car becuase it was a bit of a bango place(just incase any keeps pulled up, but i wish id got out now becuase my bitch would of stayed on the lead with them clouds running about. Then my mate wanted a rabbit for the ferrets so got my bitch out and this clown recons his bull x which isnt even watching the lamp will catch it so out comes his so i put mine back in the boot and it didnt even get up to the rabbit never mind catch it. What a tosser. Its a shame as the lad of he was alright .. then he did say the lad wasnt his usual lamping partner. Thank god for that

So we went home with an empty bag :thumbdown:

most of my lamping is on my own but what little i've done i found its best to go on your own. too much "why arnt you slipping her, i'll run mine if you'r not". we all have our own way of doing things and figure out whats best for us and our type of dogs but you still get folk thinking they know your dog better. cant see the attraction of going out with a couple of dogs regularly unless your packed with game one couldnt handle the pace. when you go on your own and you get no nonsense, no dog straining on the slip waitng there turn just a few bunnys and relaxed time...if your lucky :D