dogs on land

The dogs should have been on a lead on private land, If it was me and my dogs?? I'd report the matter to the police a land owner/farmer has to have a good reason to shoot a dog?? worrying stock etc: he can't just shoot a dog or at it!! if its just off the lead!!! I'd report the fecker for reckless discharge of a firearm and causing alarm and distress

Tom

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cant shoot of footpath got to be 15m away from it, and cant shoot over it. bin nicked for that before

:hmm: Not to sure about that mate as there are plenty of footpath's that are on legal shooting ground's and game shoots,not to mention Military Ranges.

You have to be 30 feet away from a road though.

Like i said though, i might be wrong.

just a quick question how do i stand regards walking my dogs on farm land with no livestock in it my son and daughter were walking there dogs in this field tonight when the farmers lad shot three times at them the dogs were under control but not on a lead there was no livestock in the field and no livestock in any of the adjoining fields one shot was across a public foot path thanks

just spoke to me old man there has to be proven damage to livestock

Dogs may only be shot as a last resort, and they have to be in the act of worrying livestock. The farmer then has 48 hours to inform the police of his or her actions.

I know of a case where a farmer caught two dogs, tied them to a fence and then shot them. He was prosecuted as by catching them and tying them to a fence, they could not have been in the act of worrying livestock.

As someone has already suggested, it was probobly warning shots (which is a very quick way of loosing a shotgun certificate) - but trespass is wrong, and it could be a farm where there have been poaching problems.

just a quick question how do i stand regards walking my dogs on farm land with no livestock in it my son and daughter were walking there dogs in this field tonight when the farmers lad shot three times at them the dogs were under control but not on a lead there was no livestock in the field and no livestock in any of the adjoining fields one shot was across a public foot path thanks

just spoke to me old man there has to be proven damage to livestock

Dogs may only be shot as a last resort, and they have to be in the act of worrying livestock. The farmer then has 48 hours to inform the police of his or her actions.

I know of a case where a farmer caught two dogs, tied them to a fence and then shot them. He was prosecuted as by catching them and tying them to a fence, they could not have been in the act of worrying livestock.

As someone has already suggested, it was probobly warning shots (which is a very quick way of loosing a shotgun certificate) - but trespass is wrong, and it could be a farm where there have been poaching problems.

Am not sure, but I was under the impresssion that "Any dog not on a lead where there are sheep present, may be shot by the farmer (or his agent) in the interest of stock control and management"

Guest markbrick1

iam not 100% sure what the laws says,but what i say is..........if someone shot at my dogs while my children was walking them, i would go around to the farm and wrap the gun around his fecking head,mark

iam not 100% sure what the laws says,but what i say is..........if someone shot at my dogs while my children was walking them, i would go around to the farm and wrap the gun around his fecking head,mark

Yeah me too mate but different when you've got a (all stock broken) lurcher, a terrier and a bitza puppy with you. Any sheep and they're all straight on the leads (unless we're known there) just for a bit of courtesy Cheers, D..

dogs must be UNDER CONTROL there is no ruling about leads.

a landowner can legally shoot a stray dog.........if there is evidence of stock loss or damage.

they can also shoot a dog that is seen worrying livestock stray or otherwise.

but...........if there is no livestock in the field and the dogs are"under control" and in close proximity of the owner the landowner CAN NOT shoot ( warning shots included).

this needs to be followed up....but ,as always ,very difficult to prove without sufficient evidence.

all the best

sean

cant shoot of footpath got to be 15m away from it, and cant shoot over it. bin nicked for that before

:hmm: Not to sure about that mate as there are plenty of footpath's that are on legal shooting ground's and game shoots,not to mention Military Ranges.

You have to be 30 feet away from a road though.

Like i said though, i might be wrong.

iv always been told its 50 feet from the centre of a public right of way, ie road, or footpath.....

sean3513 is right there is no law that includes leads, as long as the dog is under control and will return on command the law deams this as "under control" either way they broke the law as the caused alarm and distress with a firearm....

Please report this to the police - I live in West Yorks too and I don't want anyone to think they can take a shot or two just cos they're pissed off. If there's no stock near by he's a reckless twat and should be reported. Even if nothing's done it's on file in case there's ever a next time. Makes me really f*****g angry to read this.

Guest dog on
dogs only to be on lead if there is a poster saying so .ie sheep in field .

Wrong, as usual :whistling:

read it wrong thought it ment a foot path run through field \\are you giving your money to the 50 billion needed //im not have you been to work on this lovely sunny day i did not Edited by dog on

Five times in the last twenty or so years I've had the same farmer come up to me while I've been walking my dogs on a public footpath and under control and he always tells me he shoots dogs that cause problems etc. :censored: ...Next time I shall call the police straight away and tell them someone has threatened me with a firearm on a public footpath!...ARV will be there in fecking minutes.

If the gun ho fecking farmhand takes another shot at you call the old bill immediately and tell them. The police will do something about it!

Sean is spot on the dog must be "under control" that doesn't mean on a lead.Secondly a farmer must catch the dog "in the act" of worrying stock.Thirdly,there is no trespass law in this country,you can only be prosecuted for causing damage by trespass (fences,crops,etc).

As a few have said,if it were me out with my dogs and children,id have beat f*ck out of him,and then contacted the police.My kids are the most precious thing in the world to me,and discharging a firearm near my children is provocation enough for a beating.

I would contact the police and follow this matter up. :thumbs:

why don't you just put up the farms location on here

i'm quite sure there's plenty who would like to go for a nice country stroll with there dogs :whistling:

the more the merrier

loads of witnesses then

or just take a vid camers with you

it works for the anti's

i also believe you can only shoot at a dog if its chasing after livestock

there was recently acase in eaton bray a famer shot someones pet, heard it briefly on radio dont know the outcome,as far as i know dogs have to be worrying livestock and you dont have a leg to stand on in court, but still he should,nt have let fire, go and burn him out.