Incest kits - bro and sis

ok so here goes, i used to have a jill that was pregnant but was forced to give her up , so i gave her to a good mate.

then i was able to get another ferret so my mate gave me a hob kit of this jill that had gave birth. ive had him since august . last night my mate said that i could have the sister of this hob, so they are brother and sister which wer re-introduced to eachother fr the first time since august. :):)

ok so what im wandering is, if these two ferrets breed , will the kits be ok health wise?

a man who keeps ferrets says you cant bredd them as they will have health problems and what i was wandering is................... is it ok to breed them??

below is a few pictures of the new fert :)

post-10551-1202850619_thumb.jpg

post-10551-1202850705_thumb.jpg

Edited by wabbithunter_15

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To line breed anything you mate related stock,if it works and you get good stock it is called line breeding.If you get any deformaties it is called inbreeding,try to find another hob really as she will come in heat at some point and will mate as soon as she can.

it isnt advised to breed ferrets that are related , but the all the stories of deformed kits isnt always true but it CAN happen but you might be lucky but i wouldnt advise breeding related ferrets , and i beleive most other people will agree in not breeding your ferrets

if you think your jill has come into season , just breed her with a v.hob ,stubby has added a post of people with v.hobs you may find someone in your area , or if your desperate to breed them for kits then , as fireman says get another hob to breed them with

is that 100% true and do people follow it stricly?

i probably wont breed them , but it could happen by accident , lets say she came into season and he got to her before i realised she was in season because they live together.....?????

you gonna need 2 cages at some point in time, in case you breed her with an unrelated hob, youll need to put your hob in another hutch, so get that sorted now, and get them split, before she comes into season,

as for breeding bro/sis together, it can and has been done, but normally by people that have the history of the animals, tracing back the family tree so to speak, its a good way of doubling up on a good factor, small ferts for argument sake, but when done without knowledge, things can go wrong, as you can also double up on things you dont want or cant see,

why waste all that time on breeding ferts that may die/appear deformed, much better to breed with an un related hob, and get a good litter

cheers stubbs and mackay,

stubbs i have another cage almost ready to go just need to get a few hinges and build a door then we are good to go! :)

he hasnt dropped yet as there are still heavy frosts here at the min and she hasnt come into season so i think they'l be fine together for a few weeks yet. as soon as i think she will come into season l separate them.....

another question is ........ is she to young to breed as she is around 7 months old at the min so maybe she wont be ready ???? im thinking she is to young?

i thinksexual maturity in females is reached the spring following there birth , or about 9-12 months this could vary though depending on light levels as ferrets come into season when the days get longer they have a special name for it but i cant remember , but you will know shes ready when her rear swells up :laugh:

Edited by lgray88
ok so what im wandering is, if these two ferrets breed , will the kits be ok health wise?

a man who keeps ferrets says you cant bredd them as they will have health problems and what i was wandering is................... is it ok to breed them??

below is a few pictures of the new fert :)

If you have good,strong, stock with some "special" quality that cannot be bred into your strain from outside sources it might be allowable to mate close relatives.You'd have to be a good old-fashioned stockman though and be prepared to admit to faults and cull your stock ruthlessly ,possibly over the next few years,to make the exercise a positive one.Your bro+sis will be geneticly very similar .Mental and physical health strengths and weaknesses will be the same.In very simple terms any babes they have will get a double dose of any good bits but also a double load of BADbits.Depending on how serious the" Bad BIts"are the babies might be fine .Remember not all genetic faults are as obvious as scatty behaviour or stumpy tails.Without cutting your ferrets up or having expensive tests you won't know about potential hereditary faults in internal organs etc.In the real World mummy ferret will probably cull any obvious non-starters from a litter.Generally speaking random sibling matings are not the sign of a good stock-man. Get a stranger to serve your sister!