Incest kits - bro and sis

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

probably gonna upset a few folk here with this next sentence but here goes, why the hell do people wanna deliberately breed ferts to cull them if not happy with the end result. If you have a litter that are deformed, then fine it's in the best interest of the animal, but to breed from a pair that you know have a high chance of having abnormal young whats it all about.....

because i dont believe they end up deformed. find me someone thats ended up with dodgy litter and ill throw my hands up coz theres many people that have bred family for years with no probs. someone with experience please post as theres alot of know-feck-alls on her. not digging at you crafty, i do understand what your saying and it would be silly to do if it actuall DID cause problems bu im yet to find evidence of it.

do you really think someones going to shout from the rooftops that they breed '' dodgy'' kits :no:

BRILLIANT DISCUSSION. and i haven't even heard a mention of the word ANTI once... oh f.c.u.k.... Well, only once now. In reply to quite a few different answers and opinions.. The 'culling deformed kits' reply off somone (?) highlighted the fact that if deformed kits were born, they would usually have to be dispached. My HONEST and REAL thought is.. i AM breeding my two siblings as my OWN experiment so next year i can advise peole on here, however it turns out.

I know more than the average man does about genetics and although i, myself think there is more chance of something going wrong, ferrets genetics are no-where near as complex as humans so it more uncommon for problems to occur...You look at rats, mice, and bunnys for instance!!! They interbreed in the wild "sometimes" and LOADS in captivity wherebthey do it in the thousands, so please dont judge me too hastily. If there were dodgy ferrets that were unigue in some way, i would more than likely keep them (or a couple) myself as pets for the kids.. answew rest soon....

So your doing it for us then :laugh: thats very good off you :blink: and can i ask if this is the first time the ferrets will have been bread or have you got a line already from several generations that you have bred from the same line

You say you will keep kits that are unique i assume you mean '' easy on the eye'' unusually marked kits :hmm: or do you mean internally deformed kits ? having had experience of an extremly deformed kit several years ago i know enough to know that the kind of breeding you plan can lead to deformaties

Personally i dont think anything will manifest from one mating so if you come back in 10 yrs from now & then let us see the outcome of your ''experiment''

Guest craftycarper
mush your horses knob is a wee bit tangled in that gate me thinks :whistling:

LOL, its a filly mate.

oops :icon_redface: well thats the finest looking strap on ive ever seen :D:D anne summers would be proud

Classic confusion on this thread then!!

My question is i have a brother sister combination in a hutch, when do i need to separate them to prevent him doing the biz.

Does she come into "heat" more than once a year and am i right in thinking she will come to some sort of harm if she is not mated. If thats the case do you have to mate every year or just pretend with a stud whos had the snip.

Sounds familiar!!

:hmm:

A vasectomised male will bring her out of season without her being pregnant. I have only ever had jills which came into season in the spring, brought on by the increasing day length, a process called photoperiodism I believe, it affects all sorts of animals even us. Lastly yes your jill can become ill if she is not mated.

For good well intentioned responsible information on ferrets, look no further than Kay or Stubby. I'm sure neither would mind a genuine enquiry or two, especially if it were regarding ferret welfare. " This is where I get a PM telling me to mind my own business", I hope not.

I am also sure that lots of you are very very capable ferret owners, I just notice when reading the ferret forum, that Kay and Stubby seem to have a skill in getting the necessary information across painlessly. :thumbs:

Guest basil46
Basil i have lost count of the times i have read on this forum alone the amount of new members who ask how to breed for silver or can i breed silver to silver

So why is that ? do they make ultimate workers or something, you rarely get folk asking about any other colour breeding, basic posts about breeding yes, but when a member is asking questions like how long is a ferret in season for & some of the other basic questions like feeding /housing then a matter of weeks later they are asking about breeding it rings alarm bells

Kay, i agree, you can tell a first timer by the contents of their questions, and it`s the same questions every year.

From what i know, most people who have silvers do think they are better workers, but, that`s all down to individual opinion. They were seen as something different, in fact a couple of years ago there were "blue" ferrets advertised on line, wether this was another name for a silver, i`m not sure.

There is definately more education needed in keeping ferrets. basil.

Guest basil46
So Basil you thinks it's ok to learn by your mistakes ay, that being breeding and ending up with a load of surplus ferts or inbreds...and thats ok...your mistake at the ferts cost is ok. I really don't understand the logic in any of this really, rescues and the for sale section here shortly will have a multitude of different sex,colour,age,size ferrets from working stock, all the hard work done for you so why breed for the hell of it because you have never done it before and want to say i've bred ferrets :wallbash:

I certainly don`t believe in breeding for the sake of it, but wether we like it or not, the new kids on the block are going to do just that no matter what we say. Unfortunately, when they are stuck with a mass of young ones they don`t know what to do with, then it becomes "at cost to the ferret" What i mean by learning by mistakes is that when they`ve got 6,8, or even 10 ferrets they can`t get rid of they`ll know how the system is, and will learn by it. I have a home here for a snipped hob and there`s one at the rescue centre up the road but they won`t let me give it a home because i work my ferrets. Regards, basil.

hiya all...... my jill is swelling more and more each day, and i would say she is about half now..... can i breed them now, i was thinking of letting them breed this weekend just for saturday and sunday, and then see if her vulva keeps getting bigger or if it stops and goes down...

will she be fertile at this time and ok to breed or is there really no point with trying...

sorry it is my first time breeding and to be honest i cant wait :D:D:D

is there anything else major i should no.??

cheers

jazz

Guest basil46
hiya all...... my jill is swelling more and more each day, and i would say she is about half now..... can i breed them now, i was thinking of letting them breed this weekend just for saturday and sunday, and then see if her vulva keeps getting bigger or if it stops and goes down...

will she be fertile at this time and ok to breed or is there really no point with trying...

sorry it is my first time breeding and to be honest i cant wait :D:D:D

is there anything else major i should no.??

cheers

jazz

Anything major you should know? Yes, don`t do it. Take this year out, learn more about your ferrets. You have proved you know nothing about breeding ferrets. Get down the library and sort some literature that will benefit you in the future. basil.

Your jills tollerence of the male will be obvious as soon as you intorduce her to his home, if she is ready she will allow him to mount her & the mating will take place, if she isnt ready she may well object strongly

The swelling depends on the jill, some swell more than others

i cant take this year out as

firstly i have been looking forward to it...

and i have not got a vesectomised hob and nobody i no has a v hob so its going to have to be...

i am not completly blind, i know a little bit but was just wondering if anybody thinks there is something i should no who has done it before...

i have got several mates who have bred ferrets who are litteraly down the road from me, so if there is any confusion i can get help...

also i have a 2 tier hutch like u see in pets at home and places like that but at the moment she is up stairs with the bedroom if u want to call it that, and he is downstairs with the stairs, but the top is blocked off, do i put him in top or her in bottom or take out the block.....

cheers

jazz

Edited by jazz_11

it looks/sounds like your going to breed them no matter what, take the divider out and give them the whole cage,

two days aint going to be 100% on the mating, Id give it at least a week,

then get yourself another cage to put the hob in, leaving the jill with all the 2 tier cage, she's going to need the space when/if kitts come along

get yourself a good supply of rabbits too, or start saving your pennies to buy meat in

mate i am going to breed them no matter what because the feedback i have had from my friends is that its amazing.... what meat do u think i should get, as i have not got any rabbits and all rabbits down by me are full of young if not had the young....

i just put them in together just for a few minutes to see how she reacted, t first she tollirated it but then after that she wanted him off, but she tolirated it more than when she wasnt in season so ill wait another week and then try again...

cheers

jazz

mate i am going to breed them no matter what because the feedback i have had from my friends is that its amazing.... what meat do u think i should get, as i have not got any rabbits and all rabbits down by me are full of young if not had the young....

i just put them in together just for a few minutes to see how she reacted, t first she tollirated it but then after that she wanted him off, but she tolirated it more than when she wasnt in season so ill wait another week and then try again...

cheers

jazz

rabbits are rabbits mate, its still free food for your ferts, feeding ferrets on chicken from a supermarket is ok short term, but feeding a pregnant jill and then later all the kitts on chicken, aint really going to give her/them the best start in life,

these are all the sort of things that new or inexperienced breeders face, and normally not worry about untill its too late,

dont breed just because you'vre been told its amazing :wallbash:

before starting breeding, make sure you have

extra cages/hutches

more money for any unexpected bills that come along

a supply of rabbit

homes for the kitts

the time

probably gonna upset a few folk here with this next sentence but here goes, why the hell do people wanna deliberately breed ferts to cull them if not happy with the end result. If you have a litter that are deformed, then fine it's in the best interest of the animal, but to breed from a pair that you know have a high chance of having abnormal young whats it all about.....

because i dont believe they end up deformed. find me someone thats ended up with dodgy litter and ill throw my hands up coz theres many people that have bred family for years with no probs. someone with experience please post as theres alot of know-feck-alls on her. not digging at you crafty, i do understand what your saying and it would be silly to do if it actuall DID cause problems bu im yet to find evidence of it.

do you really think someones going to shout from the rooftops that they breed '' dodgy'' kits :no:

BRILLIANT DISCUSSION. and i haven't even heard a mention of the word ANTI once... oh f.c.u.k.... Well, only once now. In reply to quite a few different answers and opinions.. The 'culling deformed kits' reply off somone (?) highlighted the fact that if deformed kits were born, they would usually have to be dispached. My HONEST and REAL thought is.. i AM breeding my two siblings as my OWN experiment so next year i can advise peole on here, however it turns out.

I know more than the average man does about genetics and although i, myself think there is more chance of something going wrong, ferrets genetics are no-where near as complex as humans so it more uncommon for problems to occur...You look at rats, mice, and bunnys for instance!!! They interbreed in the wild "sometimes" and LOADS in captivity wherebthey do it in the thousands, so please dont judge me too hastily. If there were dodgy ferrets that were unigue in some way, i would more than likely keep them (or a couple) myself as pets for the kids.. answew rest soon....

So your doing it for us then :laugh: thats very good off you :blink: and can i ask if this is the first time the ferrets will have been bread or have you got a line already from several generations that you have bred from the same line

You say you will keep kits that are unique i assume you mean '' easy on the eye'' unusually marked kits :hmm: or do you mean internally deformed kits ? having had experience of an extremly deformed kit several years ago i know enough to know that the kind of breeding you plan can lead to deformaties

Personally i dont think anything will manifest from one mating so if you come back in 10 yrs from now & then let us see the outcome of your ''experiment''

all i know about the line they came from is that a friend of mine had 2 beautiful ferrets that mated, i had a few kits off him, and ended up keeping a male and female which are happily together still. now shes coming into season, the inevitable has been happening. id already spoken to a fair few ferret breeders that have done damn near everything when it comes to ferrets, and all of them have said that all the worry about deformed kits is NOT necessary, and they very rarely have any problems. About as common as it is in un-related pairs. i am doing it just this once as ive promised a few people a kit and would like to keep 2 jills myself for working as they are easy to handle, fast and thorough down the warren, and have the best prey drive of any ferret ive seen.. i think its quite rare now to fing really good natural workers if youre ferrets arent albino or poleys. I know that will be challenged by someone, but its only my opinion. each to there own :drink::D

all i know about the line they came from is that a friend of mine had 2 beautiful ferrets that mated, i had a few kits off him, and ended up keeping a male and female which are happily together still. now shes coming into season, the inevitable has been happening. id already spoken to a fair few ferret breeders that have done damn near everything when it comes to ferrets, and all of them have said that all the worry about deformed kits is NOT necessary, and they very rarely have any problems. About as common as it is in un-related pairs. i am doing it just this once as ive promised a few people a kit and would like to keep 2 jills myself for working as they are easy to handle, fast and thorough down the warren, and have the best prey drive of any ferret ive seen.. i think its quite rare now to fing really good natural workers if youre ferrets arent albino or poleys. I know that will be challenged by someone, but its only my opinion. each to there own :drink::D

Well to really research anything it takes more than one mating, so i really dont think your going to discover anything from that really, not 1 single generation anyway