Learning the meaning of words

13 minutes ago, TOMO said:

When I worked in ibiza I got to know a couple of lucky lucky lads from Senegal...both of them spoke French German Spanish English...and of course Senegalese...

And my Australian mate I lived with learned Spanish so quickly it helped he had a Spanish girlfriend one winter and by spring he was likeca local ...my boss at the club said to me he has the accent and everything.....few year later he lived next door to a chinky restaurant...and he started picking that up as well...he definitely had an aptitude for it...

I just speak spanglish...lol

One of my mates is like that. He’s a Scottish bloke lived in China for years, Chinese wife etc. He speaks (if I remember correctly) 4 different Chinese languages, French, Spanish, German and Catalan. Guy’s a fuucking wizz when it comes to languages. I’m told I sound Italian when I speak Spanish ffs :laugh: 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I speak English, well, as much as a Geordie can ! And also get by in Arabic. I can have very basic conversations in a couple of other languages, and can manage a menu in a few other languages.  Inte

I speak Scottish fluently. There are many head scratchers for beginners. For example: ya fenian,bead rattling  bass. ( You are a Catholic b*****d who habitually prays whilst clutching rosary beads)

I downloaded a dictionary on my phone, 1st 1 I downloaded was an american 1, them fckrs know less words than me and cant spell for shit

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Bush Rummager said:

My Mrs says I speak a lot of bollocks and it's about right to be fair.. probably like most English folk!

20231016_144623.jpg.6f970ce68ca67cc2bb1092ffe147af1f.jpg

I do tend to say fuuck (ed, ing) a lot, especially when speaking in Spanish… the reason…. Because everyone thinks it’s means bad and I love confusing the fec out of people lol.

When playing pool with my Ozzie mate, people give us a very wide berth. The way we speak to each other in English sounds so bad that we’ve had old boys coming between us thinking we are about to kick off :laugh: “fuuck off ya cheating b*****d” is a favorite, also “you fuucking lucky cnut” comes a close second. All the while people stare at us like we’re members of the SS. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, mushroom said:

I do tend to say fuuck (ed, ing) a lot, especially when speaking in Spanish… the reason…. Because everyone thinks it’s means bad and I love confusing the fec out of people lol.

When playing pool with my Ozzie mate, people give us a very wide berth. The way we speak to each other in English sounds so bad that we’ve had old boys coming between us thinking we are about to kick off :laugh: “fuuck off ya cheating b*****d” is a favorite, also “you fuucking lucky cnut” comes a close second. All the while people stare at us like we’re members of the SS. 

Mate.. I'm from an East mids pit village. If someone calls me a c**t.. I know they like me!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
7 hours ago, TOMO said:

my Australian mate I lived with learned Spanish so quickly it helped he had a Spanish girlfriend one winter and by spring he was likeca local ..

Sleeping dictionaries was the old British colonies term for learning a language from an indigenous lady.

7 hours ago, mushroom said:

One of my mates is like that. He’s a Scottish bloke lived in China for years, Chinese wife etc. He speaks (if I remember correctly) 4 different Chinese languages, French, Spanish, German and Catalan. Guy’s a fuucking wizz when it comes to languages. I’m told I sound Italian when I speak Spanish ffs :laugh: 

I work with a black Austrian guy.  His dad worked for the un , and the family have lived all around the world . My mate speaks about eight different languages , and the only one that he can't get to grips with is Japanese. 

His brothers and sisters live all around the world , and when he speaks to them on the phone , they all speak in different languages.

I asked him one day , what language he thinks in , and he thinks in English.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, mel b said:

I work with a black Austrian guy.  His dad worked for the un , and the family have lived all around the world . My mate speaks about eight different languages , and the only one that he can't get to grips with is Japanese. 

His brothers and sisters live all around the world , and when he speaks to them on the phone , they all speak in different languages.

Most polyglots start when they are young,the brain is like a sponge,absorbent,my nephews 7 year old daughter lives in London but has Thai language lessons once a week,she is quite good after a years tuition.

This kid is fantastic.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, mushroom said:

Leon from the comedy Curb Your Enthusiasm ìs the master of swearing "What the f****n fucks up motherfuck?"

The Greeks can be having a perfectly normal conversation and sound like they are going to kick off any second. We were in a crowded taverna in Greece and the din of people shouting at each other was f****n industrial. Just for a joke and an experiment. I started ranting and swearing at the top of my voice, stood up, banged the table with my fist and sat down. I swear nobody took the slightest notice.

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, shaaark said:

Dos cervezas, porfavor, amigo!!  😄👍

Or "Oi, Manuel two beers!"

"Canya?"

"Nah, behave ya c**t,pinto,pinto pinto! For fucks sake."

I actually overheard that exchange once. Lol.

Edited by jukel123
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, mel b said:

I asked him one day , what language he thinks in , and he thinks in English.

I sometimes talk in my sleep and apparently I talk in the 3 languages I speak (EN, ES & Cat)… I’ve heard myself recorded and I sound like the bloody exorcist :laugh: 

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, jukel123 said:

Or "Oi, Manuel two beers!"

"Canya?"

"Nah, behave ya c**t,pinto,pinto pinto! For fucks sake."

I actually overheard that exchange once. Lol.

Be very careful ordering a “cerveza”, “pinta” or a “jarra” in Spain. Depending where you are, depends how scammed you’ll get. The main tourist areas will take you asking for a cerveza as an invitation to provide the most expensive one they have ;)

Must be a fantastic buzz to be able to speak and communicate in a different language and in the young it can open doors to a good carrear. I remember French lessons at secondary school and it was just a lesson where us reprobates just messed about and took non of in. In this changing world learning new languages is more important now than when it was 50 years ago imho. 

• Like 1

The only Spanish I know , is mucho grande maracon.

One day , I had a , drunk , Spanish speaking  , Russian , lad working on the truck( dont ask , we get allsorts).

I pointed to my other mate , and said to the Russian lad ," mucho grande maracon " .  The Russian lad said , " ah , you like Ricky Martin?  " , and started wiggling his hips .  My mate ( who can barely speak english ), said " yes " and started wiggling his hips along with the drunk Russian 😁.

It was one of those , you had to be there moments , but it still tickles me now , just thinking about it 😁.

• Haha 4