Welding tips hints tricks an how too

My 13 year old son is going into 4th year in school,gcses an all that caper,I talk to him a lot about what he wants to be when he grows up (apart from fottballer lol)

Hes showing an interest in welding so I'm going to get him a cheap setup to let him practice an see how he gets on.

Anh welders on here to point me to a we startup setup,an any ins an outs etc

Thanks in advance,I'm away to do a bit so will drop in later.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think I remember that when you were a welder lol 

Borr is your man Francie, i have to say it but he is the bollocks as a welder, I know first hand... 

I thought the same but having looked through his portfolio it’s quite clear that mc Hull is the real deal 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Francie, said:

My 13 year old son is going into 4th year in school,gcses an all that caper,I talk to him a lot about what he wants to be when he grows up (apart from fottballer lol)

Hes showing an interest in welding so I'm going to get him a cheap setup to let him practice an see how he gets on.

Anh welders on here to point me to a we startup setup,an any ins an outs etc

Thanks in advance,I'm away to do a bit so will drop in later.

Borr is you man mate.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2

My grandson is going to college to learn welding after getting refused from joining the Army due to him being what they said was under weight. His Dad is a coded welder and is earning good money and gives him advice on the subject. Only thing is mate if your lad gets into the habit of doing it himself it might be totally different to how he will be taught by a professional. I know there is more to welding than just tacking a few bits of steel together. 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

My grandson is going to college to learn welding after getting refused from joining the Army due to him being what they said was under weight. His Dad is a coded welder and is earning good money and gives him advice on the subject. Only thing is mate if your lad gets into the habit of doing it himself it might be totally different to how he will be taught by a professional. I know there is more to welding than just tacking a few bits of steel together. 

Thank you tats,yeah hes been watching alot of good welders on YouTube doing there thing,how too an whst not to do,but I see your point mate.

1 hour ago, Arry said:

Borr is you man mate.

Cheers Arry

Thanks arry

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Francie, said:

Thank you tats,yeah hes been watching alot of good welders on YouTube doing there thing,how too an whst not to do,but I see your point mate.

Thanks arry

Hope your lad makes it his career mate. The son in law has made a decent living out of it and works for a local engineering firm that does high end work for the MOD though he has been offered job's in different parts of the world but with being a good family man chooses to work near home. Though I do keep nagging them both to emigrate to Canada for a better life than what the UK can offer with his skills. 

• Like 2

Welding is practice practice and more practice. You need good eye hand coordination.  Best to get someone to show him how to get started. A nice invertor  set and some decent rods and a auto darkening helmet will get him started. Lidle helmet and invertor be fine but get decent rods. Welding can be a good trade or soul destroying.  If you're ever down my way I'd gladly show him . 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's a broad question, as several processes, I'd start on stick , it teaches fundamental knowledge, start stops, porosity , amps, positional can use old scrap steel, doesn't require gas . Rods need to be kept warm and dry once open some 6013 3.25mm, a half decent inverter set.

WWW.R-TECHWELDING.CO.UK

Arc Welder R-Tech Pro-Arc135
WWW.TECPRODUCTS.CO.UK

Jasic JA-140 140A MMA Inverter Welder Available Now From TEC...

• Like 6

start him with  a cheap chinese mig inverter  francie soon pic it up you can stick weld as well with most 

migs easy now no wire feed just set amps and the rest is done for you 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Borr said:

It's a broad question, as several processes, I'd start on stick , it teaches fundamental knowledge, start stops, porosity , amps, positional can use old scrap steel, doesn't require gas . Rods need to be kept warm and dry once open some 6013 3.25mm, a half decent inverter set.

WWW.R-TECHWELDING.CO.UK

Arc Welder R-Tech Pro-Arc135
WWW.TECPRODUCTS.CO.UK

Jasic JA-140 140A MMA Inverter Welder Available Now From TEC...

you don’t need to spend that money borr on a r tech there good but not needed 

1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

you don’t need to spend that money borr on a r tech there good but not needed 

Well... Cheap Chinese shite with no warranty is likely to pop the inverter stick welding. Couple of hundred quid is cheap in my view, mig welding without gas is a ball ache and disheartening. My set at the moment is couple of grand my colleagues is 9k lol but yep go for a Lidl welder I guess you can return it....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

this even  has a euro type torch when my descent mig broke i got this much better then the old mig you can stick and tig dc aswell but i have an/dc tig so don’t use it much for that i got 200 amp this make 59DC2EC2-D0FF-47E3-846D-2841B40E1FC4.png.7e6f815987157eb6ed43194adc62fec8.png

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Borr said:

Well... Cheap Chinese shite with no warranty is likely to pop the inverter stick welding. Couple of hundred quid is cheap in my view, mig welding without gas is a ball ache and disheartening. My set at the moment is couple of grand my colleagues is 9k lol but yep go for a Lidl welder I guess you can return it....

get years no hassle from chinese inverters the ac/dc tig i have been good 5 year not a hiccup i admit i’m not welding all day everyday but there sound the r tech is chinese 

they have gas they ain’t the shit clarke gas no gas 

that cheap mig i got does it for you makes it as simple as can be really surprised me 

Edited by mC HULL

It’s brilliant here we have a bloke that welded a wheel arch on a transit van with a cheap mig welder telling a geezer that does it for a living how to do it properly and what kit to buy lol, there are many times in life we’re saying nothing makes you look more intelligent than throwing your hat in the ring and this may have just been one of those moments lol

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Greyman said:

It’s brilliant here we have a bloke that welded a wheel arch on a transit van with a cheap mig welder telling a geezer that does it for a living how to do it properly and what kit to buy lol, there are many times in life we’re saying nothing makes you look more intelligent than throwing your hat in the ring and this may have just been one of those moments lol

it’s the man holding the torch  not the machine lol 

i’ve first started welding at about 11 you plum lol did me apprentaship hgv technician  trucks and trailers with me brother in law in charge of the welding and fabrication shop next door we’re id go help regular steel aluminium and stainless  lol 

and   welding a transit wheel arch is harder then welding thick stuff by a country mile lol 

just because your a duck egg doesn’t mean we all are mate lol 

Edited by mC HULL
  • Haha 2