• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Remember the large British birds eggs exhibit in Clifton park museum in Rotherham that had every British birds egg in the collection that was in two long tables in glass covered sections and me and i

The first time in my life I am ever going to get to use a word I learnt as a kid, he is an Oologist, what a relief to finally get that out. 

Our go too book was the observer book of british birds eggs. I think most young lads at the time (70s) who went bird nesting would have had a copy. Remember the best nest we ever found was a greenshan

Posted Images

I think most of us of a certain age would have had an Egg collection as kids, Most of us will have grown out of it but some just keep on being obsessed with it. I have not read the link but i assume its the guy caught recently with 2000 eggs, He was previously caught with around 5000 eggs. 

1 hour ago, paulus said:

I think most of us of a certain age would have had an Egg collection as kids, Most of us will have grown out of it but some just keep on being obsessed with it. I have not read the link but i assume its the guy caught recently with 2000 eggs, He was previously caught with around 5000 eggs. 

I just remember some of the crazy things we did as kid's to get certain eggs it was a miracle non of our gang got killed though one lad from another gang drowned in Wentworth lakes wile swimming out to a great crested grebes nest wile we were there always remember the middle aged women who stripped down to her bra and knickers and swam out to try and save him but failed and the firebrigade recovering his body hours later. 

• Sad 5
4 hours ago, mackem said:

The first time in my life I am ever going to get to use a word I learnt as a kid, he is an Oologist, what a relief to finally get that out. 

An old lamping partner of mine from over 25 years ago, well his old lamping partner. Packed in the dog game and got into the egg collecting. Apparently he had all sorts of missions and adventures and escapades chasing the eggs, from rock climbing and abbsailing in the dark down to nests being watched by the army ect. He was apparently a member of some secret club called The Gordanian Society I was led to believe. I found it all quite enthralling as a young tearaway myself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Leo Sayer said:

An old lamping partner of mine from over 25 years ago, well his old lamping partner. Packed in the dog game and got into the egg collecting. Apparently he had all sorts of missions and adventures and escapades chasing the eggs, from rock climbing and abbsailing in the dark down to nests being watched by the army ect. He was apparently a member of some secret club called The Gordanian Society I was led to believe. I found it all quite enthralling as a young tearaway myself.

I like people who go the extra mile,they are a bit off the wall,I have met a few.What eventually happened to the guy?The Gordanian Society sounds intriguing.

1 minute ago, mackem said:

I like people who go the extra mile,they are a bit off the wall,I have met a few.What eventually happened to the guy?The Gordanian Society sounds intriguing.

Like in say was 25 years ago and i sadly lost touch with my old friend,  and his old friend am not sure. But the stories I used to hear, he was one committed fella to his chosen hobbies. Tbh Mac I thought you may of had some info on that secret society or anybody else on hear can shed some light on it ?? It was I was told a secret club for egg collectors 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, mackem said:

It’s spelt with a J just googled it 

IMG_4898.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Leo Sayer said:

Like in say was 25 years ago and i sadly lost touch with my old friend,  and his old friend am not sure. But the stories I used to hear, he was one committed fella to his chosen hobbies. Tbh Mac I thought you may of had some info on that secret society or anybody else on hear can shed some light on it ?? It was I was told a secret club for egg collectors 

It sounds more like a biblical Christian crusades blood in blood out Cabal the likes of which @DIDO.1 upon hearing in conversation nods sagely and quotes the first rule of fight club.

I wasn’t in the UK 25 years back,nor have I ever heard of the group,I wonder if anyone else on here has?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shame they didn't make this much fuss...when it emerged,that the Prick Packham has an extensive collection....but its ok, because hes on the spectrum 🙄 one rule for one, another for everyone else...

• Like 4