Wirehair pointer 1st cross

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone wanting to do this cross I have two working GWP dogs here welcome to use on greyhound foc. Possibly have a pup or two back.  

always planned on putting him over a greyhound, I got a bitch but she never broke down. But over the years I had some fun with him from hunting cover to working round a hole, absolute powerhouse of a

Absolute rubbish I've known a lot of GWP's and crosses and not heard of any having these problems. If you have seen the drive and stamina these dogs possess you'd know that with heart problems they wo

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Coconut said:

Yes lads they overheat and die on the spot mine never made it back to me if it wasn’t for the collar I’d never have found him usually blood from mouth and nose atb 

How many have done this ,sound terrible 

always planned on putting him over a greyhound, I got a bitch but she never broke down. But over the years I had some fun with him from hunting cover to working round a hole, absolute powerhouse of a dog no quit in him .

Screenshot_20230922_115904_Facebook.jpg

• Like 12
9 hours ago, Coconut said:

Yes lads they overheat and die on the spot mine never made it back to me if it wasn’t for the collar I’d never have found him usually blood from mouth and nose atb 

I've known lurchers of various types collie crosses, deerhound and bull crosses blow up and die. It could happen to and type, it doesn't mean that type is prone to it. I  believe you have a few gwp crosses have they done it too?

11 hours ago, jossa said:

always planned on putting him over a greyhound, I got a bitch but she never broke down. But over the years I had some fun with him from hunting cover to working round a hole, absolute powerhouse of a dog no quit in him .

Screenshot_20230922_115904_Facebook.jpg

How’s olds he now mate?

19 hours ago, Black neck said:

How many have done this ,sound terrible 

I know of 3 in as many years and there’s been a few before that time I’d make sure if crossing but a dose of terrier blood in the mix

1 hour ago, Busher100 said:

How’s olds he now mate?

He was 12 when I PTS last year, until the last month of him being alive he would hunt all day if allowed.  He used to do 6 days on the grouse without flackering then a day with the terriers on a Sunday. I'll 100% have another in the future 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, jossa said:

He was 12 when I PTS last year, until the last month of him being alive he would hunt all day if allowed.  He used to do 6 days on the grouse without flackering then a day with the terriers on a Sunday. I'll 100% have another in the future 

Yes they will hunt all day at his own pace he would never hunt as fast as a Lurcher and that’s where they blow up besides there’s good and bad in any bred there’s as good hunters in bedlington collie or hound crosses atb

7 hours ago, Coconut said:

Yes they will hunt all day at his own pace he would never hunt as fast as a Lurcher and that’s where they blow up besides there’s good and bad in any bred there’s as good hunters in bedlington collie or hound crosses atb

I wouldn't expect him to hunt as fast as a lurcher, but a lurcher also wouldn't hunt like he did. I dont know what you're trying to get at, any dog can have a heart condition and blow up. 

My opinion a pointer will add a lot more stamina in to a lurcher for hunting the hill etc. I'd probably put some saluki in the mix too 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, jossa said:

I wouldn't expect him to hunt as fast as a lurcher, but a lurcher also wouldn't hunt like he did. I dont know what you're trying to get at, any dog can have a heart condition and blow up. 

My opinion a pointer will add a lot more stamina in to a lurcher for hunting the hill etc. I'd probably put some saluki in the mix too 

That's fecked it 

On 05/04/2024 at 11:30, leegreen said:

They not as sharp as Short haired and the few I know are a heavier.

Not sure what you mean by sharp but I've had both and the wires are a lot harder going and better alround vermin dogs. The Danish lines are heavier than the German bloodlines. I like that as they are more robust and have more stamina.

• Like 1

Genuine question: I've heard GWP lurchers mentioned a lot, off and on, over the last thirty years or so...but never GSP crosses. Any reason for that? Is it simply because the wire-hairs have more of a reputation as general vermin dogs?

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Neal said:

Genuine question: I've heard GWP lurchers mentioned a lot, off and on, over the last thirty years or so...but never GSP crosses. Any reason for that? Is it simply because the wire-hairs have more of a reputation as general vermin dogs?

Gsp,s are more thought of as bird dogs, although there's always exceptions I guess. Gwps used as all rounders on continent and mix with most quarry, think the German test includes boar but I may be wrong.

• Like 1