CITB CSCS CARDS

Not too long ago a lad in my exact trade of work had just finished doing an operational tour and was handing back the eqpt used. 

That night he was killed, not by enemy action but because of the actions of a friend who decided that instead of doing things the proper way, he was too clever and he’d just do it this way instead . 

totally and utterly avoidable 

that young lad should be sat at home with his family 

It’s all very well and good calling it a box ticking exercise etc , but the whole point of training is that it removes any ambiguity or self - interpretation of what should be done and how. 

safe systems of work are created to do just that . Work to be done safely . It’s not to hinder it or stop it , it’s to make sure that the job doesn’t unnecessarily cause risk to life . 

during the inquiry, the lad who caused the death was very reluctant to admit what he’d done . Unsurprising, the blame escalated and pushed it into the training side of things . “Well no one showed me that “ doesn’t fly when there is a recorded and retained copy of a training course lesson plan . 

thats the whole point of health safety , to protect others from their actions or that of others . 

having to sit through a few PowerPoints and tick tests is a small price to pay imho 

• Like 4

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

pretty much why I won't go near the big Main contractors or major works, I'm all for sensible H&S, We've employed hundreds of lads of the years, and had no major incidents and no fatalities, a fir

Street works is a handy one to have GM👍Need a ticket to change a blade🙄 then a hot works ticket so you can use it 😁 madness mate...best one is a 'permit to dig' before breaking ground 🙈has to be renew

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Not too long ago a lad in my exact trade of work had just finished doing an operational tour and was handing back the eqpt used. 

That night he was killed, not by enemy action but because of the actions of a friend who decided that instead of doing things the proper way, he was too clever and he’d just do it this way instead . 

It’s all very well and good calling it a box ticking exercise etc , but the whole point of training is that it removes any ambiguity or self - interpretation of what should be done and how. 

safe systems of work are created to do just that . Work to be done safely . It’s not to hinder it or stop it , it’s to make sure that the job doesn’t unnecessarily cause risk to life . 

during the inquiry, the lad who caused the death was very reluctant to admit what he’d done . Unsurprising, the blame escalated and pushed it into the training side of things . “Well no one showed me that “ doesn’t fly when there is a recorded and retained copy of a training course lesson plan . 

thats the whole point of health safety , to protect others from their actions or that of others . 

having to sit through a few PowerPoints and tick tests is a small price to pay imho 

Zzzzzzzzz…….zzzzzzzzz……zzzzzzzz !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
24 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Touche! Lol

He is the British Army’s secret weapon, he is going to be laser guided into Vladimir Putins office and then just spend hours warbling on about method statements and risk assessments until Putin chucks himself out of a window !

• Haha 7
4 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

i bet you was loads a few as a young un lol 

1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

i bet you was loads a few as a young un lol 

I’m assuming few = fun there eh ? 

suppose we all grow up , but when someone gets cut in half by a machine or has their head taken apart by 7.62 on a range , it’s better to be shown to be organised , professional and risk aware rather than “ good laugh on the piss “ isn’t it ? 

• Like 1

I was on a job at a private house once in a big outdoor office they had built, these people had a little Westy type dog that used to trot round…..anyway my pal who was working for me cut the tip of his thumb off with a Stanley knife opening up some packaging….the little dog came in with all the commotion and I seen the tip of the thumb laying there on the floor and I don’t know what came over me but I picked it up and fed it to the dog ! Lol 

My pal was all in a bit of a state and we bandaged up the thumb to stop him bleeding all over the van on the way to hospital.

On the way he said “should have looked for my bit of thumb, they may be able to do something ?” And I said “I fed it to the dog !” Lol lol 

He was a bit upset but I personally found it hilarious the look on his face ! Lol 

• Haha 3

I agree with STIFFMEISTER on this after seeing a few work accidents over the years working down the pit and in construction and demolition accidents that could have been avoided if people had just used a bit of common sense. I am having trouble at work with being appointed the health and safety officer with an idiot who continues to use his phone wile operating a fork truck despite numerous warnings and if I had my way I would sack the feker before he twats some one with it. 

On the sites I work on these days,We run the show,from start to finish..when someone comes along/any trade on site... Your told OUR site rules...If we tell them not to do something,for whatever reason,and they dont listen,then they get f****d off up the road...tears and all.

If You leave kit/materials laying around for someone else to shift... it gets binned,then they are counter charged for the clean up and waste of materials....that way then,everyone pulls their weight, everything goes back in the shed/racks,your not wasting money..and the Idiots and tired cnuts have nowhere to hide...Its  shocking watching lots of lads/whole gangs who work on the Big name sites these days,they are scruffy lazy cnuts,do the very minimum and want top rates...

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

On the sites I work on these days,We run the show,from start to finish..when someone comes along/any trade on site... Your told OUR site rules...If we tell them not to do something,for whatever reason,and they dont listen,then they get f****d off up the road...tears and all.

If You leave kit/materials laying around for someone else to shift... it gets binned,then they are counter charged for the clean up and waste of materials....that way then,everyone pulls their weight, everything goes back in the shed/racks,your not wasting money..and the Idiots and tired cnuts have nowhere to hide...Its  shocking watching lots of lads/whole gangs who work on the Big name sites these days,they are scruffy lazy cnuts,do the very minimum and want top rates...

I think there’s a lot to be said for that, making people take responsibility for things.

So much better than a cover arse, tick box approach that absolves absolutely everyone of having to function like a proper chap.

imho they should give everyone a certificate when they leave school that says “Just try not to be a f***ing idiot” ……I have hammered that mantra into my kids since they were no age.

Its all you have to do, just do your best not to be an idiot….simple !

Give things care and attention and some thought….easy ! 

If you see a bit of wood on the floor with a nail sticking out, just pick it up !!……don’t walk past it saying not my job, someone could hurt themselves, they haven’t followed protocol…..just pick it up ! 

We used to be loading and unloading tons of kit, every item was worth an amount of money to me, I just used to say to lads “think about what you are doing because if you break it I’m knocking out your wages and you are paying”……hey presto, I used to get very little damages on any of my kit.

I used to see other firms and their lads would be smashing kit to bits, do you know why ?…..because it held no consequence to them to be that way.

As good as H&S is and it is good if it protects people, I believe it does create a culture of “as long as we ticked the box we don’t have to care”……it don’t empower people and that’s a loss.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 14/02/2024 at 22:35, Chid said:

It was always if the payload is over a tonne then it's classed as a commercial vehicle.. 

Some have less than a tonne payload so they become taxed as a car .. 

pick ups and crew cabs are losing there commercial status and are just going to be classed as cars 

34 minutes ago, WILF said:

I think there’s a lot to be said for that, making people take responsibility for things.

So much better than a cover arse, tick box approach that absolves absolutely everyone of having to function like a proper chap.

imho they should give everyone a certificate when they leave school that says “Just try not to be a f***ing idiot” ……I have hammered that mantra into my kids since they were no age.

Its all you have to do, just do your best not to be an idiot….simple !

Give things care and attention and some thought….easy ! 

If you see a bit of wood on the floor with a nail sticking out, just pick it up !!……don’t walk past it saying not my job, someone could hurt themselves, they haven’t followed protocol…..just pick it up ! 

We used to be loading and unloading tons of kit, every item was worth an amount of money to me, I just used to say to lads “think about what you are doing because if you break it I’m knocking out your wages and you are paying”……hey presto, I used to get very little damages on any of my kit.

I used to see other firms and their lads would be smashing kit to bits, do you why ?…..because it held no consequence to them to be that way.

As good as H&S is and it is good if it protects people, I believe it does create a culture of “as long as we ticked the box we don’t have to care”……it don’t empower people and that’s a loss.

Correct all well and good doing courses upon courses site inductions etc etc …. But one things for sure you can’t teach stupid 

• Like 2