CITB CSCS CARDS

We still use ladders and step ladders...in fact just this last Wednesday I was actually on a course of how to use ladders....I kid you not...

We do use mupes and mobile scaff towers...and of course they are safer but very often not as quick and mobile as a ladder...interestingly though you need ladders to get on to the mobile scaff tower...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

pretty much why I won't go near the big Main contractors or major works, I'm all for sensible H&S, We've employed hundreds of lads of the years, and had no major incidents and no fatalities, a fir

Street works is a handy one to have GM👍Need a ticket to change a blade🙄 then a hot works ticket so you can use it 😁 madness mate...best one is a 'permit to dig' before breaking ground 🙈has to be renew

Posted Images

The nation of “Into the valley of death rode the 600” to “I can’t get a foot up those steps, it’s too dangerous” in only 200 years ! ……….what the f**k went wrong ?

3 minutes ago, WILF said:

The nation of “Into the valley of death rode the 600” to “I can’t get a foot up those steps, it’s too dangerous” in only 200 years ! ……….what the f**k went wrong ?

American culture of taking people to court blame culture mate. Pretty sure where its come from, not so long ago if you slipped on an icey path and hurt yourself it was considered unlucky, now that same scenario would lead to someone getting blamed and prosecuted lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, TOMO said:

We still use ladders and step ladders...in fact just this last Wednesday I was actually on a course of how to use ladders....I kid you not...

We do use mupes and mobile scaff towers...and of course they are safer but very often not as quick and mobile as a ladder...interestingly though you need ladders to get on to the mobile scaff tower...

The ladders are contained inside of the scaffold tower though mate, so you have handrails around you...you not allowed to put a ladder up to the outside of a scaff tower.. 

Also the working at heights course teaches you how to safely use a ladder, it seems over kill, but the amount of times you see someone with the ladder on a stupid angle, not tied off etc it makes you think about lack of common sense more than anything...

I guess the bottom line is, falling from heights is/was the biggest killer in the building game, sensible safety approach to it is a good thing...

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, WILF said:

Not quite mate...minimising deaths'and serious injury from falling at height.. as opposed to "get up there or aren't you man enough" is surely a good thing?

I do however call out the bullshit around it at every opportunity, I've fell twice and been very lucky..once off a ladder when a crane hanging a 2t steel caught and the steel dropped a foot knocking my ladder, I jumped,off and hit the deck. I shit myself! LOL..Last day on a job in Watford and wanted to get out of the dive and so did the crane driver...couple of small mistakes, rushing really,  and nearly done me...

Other time, I'd removed the hand rails on the back of the scaffold so I could load a roof, didn't put back, only removed 12 ft or so, but slipped down the roof, hit the scaff and bounced out the gap, I'd made like a c**t, onto the road..wasn't overly high, 12ft maybe a bit more...i was fine, a lot younger and could bounce! Lol...but both were absolute breaches of H&S which I could've paid the price for... as much as anything training is needed for awareness...

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Not quite mate...minimising deaths'and serious injury from falling at height.. as opposed to "get up there or aren't you man enough" is surely a good thing?

I do however call out the bullshit around it at every opportunity, I've fell twice and been very lucky..once off a ladder when a crane hanging a 2t steel caught and the steel dropped a foot knocking my ladder, I jumped,off and hit the deck. I shit myself! LOL..Last day on a job in Watford and wanted to get out of the dive and so did the crane driver...couple of small mistakes, rushing really,  and nearly done me...

Other time, I'd removed the hand rails on the back of the scaffold so I could load a roof, didn't put back, only removed 12 ft or so, but slipped down the roof, hit the scaff and bounced out the gap, I'd made like a c**t, onto the road..wasn't overly high, 12ft maybe a bit more...i was fine, a lot younger and could bounce! Lol...but both were absolute breaches of H&S which I could've paid the price for... as much as anything training is needed for awareness...

Very lucky mate..you could easily be typing that out now from a wheel chair...

On 09/02/2024 at 08:35, tatsblisters said:

It seems a bit over the top to me all this card for this and that though it's about 15 years now since I last worked in construction. My mate is a very good brick layer and is 60 years old and and refuses to pay the money for a card that tells him he's a brick layer so he avoids big sites and chooses to just do private work. 

Same here mate I do alot of estate work rubble walls dry stone walls just landed in a site start of last week never asked for any cards not all sites up here ask for them 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, MH1 said:

We have to do a yearly climber/tower rescue certificate. Pretty handy because I usually forget most of the rescue after a year.

You work at extreme heights mate, regular training and safety awareness is a necessity in your type of work, like you say its easily forgotten then you and others are at risk...

1 hour ago, NEWKID said:

As I have said mate, nobody should expect lads to risk their life.

But when we have reached a point that you can go 3ft up a set of steps then the jobs f****d ! 

f**k me, you’ve taken bigger falls at football every Saturday ! 

1 minute ago, WILF said:

As I have said mate, nobody should expect lads to risk their life.

But when we have reached a point that you can go 3ft up a set of steps then the jobs f****d ! 

f**k me, you’ve taken bigger falls at football every Saturday ! 

The problem is mate over the years I've noticed the level of basic common sense drop, young lads see the building trade as a poor third choice of career now..the majority if they can't get to uni want to be an influencer or gamer or whatever else... being a brickie, or plasterer, roofer etc is looked down on... so basically they don't give a f**k, and are only there to pick up a wage...honestly they walk around with a phone stuck in there hand constantly, just last week I was watching a labourer knocking a brick wall down, I was measuring on a cherry picker and could see him over the wall...he had earphones in, phone in hand and dancing like he was at a rave...oblivious I was even above him... so you get blanket rules that cover any eventuality (like falling from a step ladder) because you are dealing witg idiots mate... honestly sites have changed so much, I'm not for 50% of the H&S bullshit, but there's a duty to care and protect people on site... I'd hate my lad to do half the things I've  done on steel and roofs, he's young and immortal (like we all were), but he'd be thrown off a site in 10 minutes if he jumped up and walked the back of steels...thank f**k! Lol

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Always amazes me seeing old clips of him as looking at him you think he wouldn't be able to walk along a kerb edge without falling off. They definitely broke the mould when they made him. 

To right mate..a brave clever man..this clip is Interesting showing how he sets the ladders up the chimney..quite a clever method.. 

• Like 1