1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

I find them no better or no worse than other types and I’ve owned most types, pures and crosses.

Like getting any type, you must do your homework with the breeding, parents , etc.

I obviously wouldn’t get one just for, say, ferreting or lamping rabbits. They will do that but there’s better types for the job.

I mainly run hares and roe these days and the odd fox, and the deer crosses will do that as well as anything else.

Its just a personal choice, I like them as they are easy to live with, and do what I want of them.

Ive a soft spot for whippets, beddy’s, Salukis and deerhounds, and have had them all, so it’s not a “breed blind” thing, but after all these years I still get enormous pleasure from seeing a big deerhound cross in full flight behind a daytime roe or hare.

Of course they are not for everyone, and there are better types for certain jobs, but I’m happy with them .

Cheers.

How do you find starting them of as I have heard some can be late starters the best I've seen was gd Sally a genuine half cross that bitch was a pleasure to watch run and work she took good numbers of hares and roe day time and had a hatered of foxes 

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morty, a filth generation lamper he tracked 7 cwd and a munty single handed during the day in January. Not to bad considering it was his first daytime jaunt out.   

Another of Maurice, tracked this and put it on the deck single handed in the middle of a field without the aid of fence or ditch, we got there it saw us panicked and full of adrenaline it managed to g

More tracking for the shooting clowns 

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, green lurchers said:

Man in pub said you you proper graft round a bit a halal Mac Donald’s n kfc. ?  

both shit mate will get odd hamburger when the kids want a happy meal 

bit a chicken on the bone now and again 

other than that me missus cooks lol

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

both shit mate will get odd hamburger when the kids want a happy meal 

bit a chicken on the bone now and again 

other than that me missus cooks lol

Have you ever told her a saluki can cook better than she can ? 

• Haha 6
12 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

How do you find starting them of as I have heard some can be late starters the best I've seen was gd Sally a genuine half cross that bitch was a pleasure to watch run and work she took good numbers of hares and roe day time and had a hatered of foxes 

Being so big and big boned I wouldnt rush them but nothing wrong with taking them along for a look with another dog.

Beddy Dave let me tag along with the pup when she was about 6 months old to watch his young bitch working the Scottish hills.

524AF075-12DE-4C09-AC50-458869A827D4.jpeg.74b2daf6da6d2cf8b5e8c9212d1e71a8.jpeg

Of course I didn’t run her but she watched the action and got to taste a bit of fur. 
She was around 13 month when she had her first hare.

614A5552-7005-4114-9777-2DF09765541E.jpeg.c9aecbdbc157b0594992c16fbf8c0278.jpeg

Cheers.

• Like 7
11 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Being so big and big boned I wouldnt rush them but nothing wrong with taking them along for a look with another dog.

Beddy Dave let me tag along with the pup when she was about 6 months old to watch his young bitch working the Scottish hills.

524AF075-12DE-4C09-AC50-458869A827D4.jpeg.74b2daf6da6d2cf8b5e8c9212d1e71a8.jpeg

Of course I didn’t run her but she watched the action and got to taste a bit of fur. 
She was around 13 month when she had her first hare.

614A5552-7005-4114-9777-2DF09765541E.jpeg.c9aecbdbc157b0594992c16fbf8c0278.jpeg

Cheers.

thanks for the reply beddy Dave wasn't he the lad that owned the big red dog was it called  Bruce always liked the stamp of him and didn't dave always  put a decent bag of bunnies away had some good ground 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

thanks for the reply beddy Dave wasn't he the lad that owned the big red dog was it called  Bruce always liked the stamp of him and didn't dave always  put a decent bag of bunnies away had some good ground 

I’m sure Dave won’t mind me putting this picture of Bruce on here. Another time on the Scottish hills, waiting for a bolt.

Also had four days up the Cairngorms with them. Bruce was top class.

B73410C6-3B49-4D3E-8FCE-B93233251B34.jpeg.a808aac511b2e30fb3e47d35d09ebd41.jpeg

Cheers.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I’m sure Dave won’t mind me putting this picture of Bruce on here. Another time on the Scottish hills, waiting for a bolt.

Also had four days up the Cairngorms with them. Bruce was top class.

B73410C6-3B49-4D3E-8FCE-B93233251B34.jpeg.a808aac511b2e30fb3e47d35d09ebd41.jpeg

Cheers.

Smart dog that Bruce I recently got him mixed up with an Irish terrier type but he's beddie isn't he

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

it’s ok on the bikes lol like the 2 stokes 300? 

love ktms even old uns old 500 2 stroke 1989 552AAAA1-731C-404F-B664-BB166D90B910.png.3895bcb7920a52feeacba0cd0db75f90.png 

and a 530 

They 500cc?

Definitely know when the power band kicks in that feck that lol