Dog eating the catch….

Thanks for them ideas Casso and Comanche. I’ll be trying both of those ideas. 

I think you may be onto something re the fearful dog. If we see any other dogs out he’s watching and acts aggressive. 

weirdly, when I would walk him at the rescue he was fine with other dogs yet since I’ve had him he acts differently so maybe he feels he has to be the protector of someone he loves so doesn’t loose them again? He was returned another time for being aggressive to other dogs apparently. 

However He isn’t aggressive to other dogs. I’ve got a mate who’s got a cockapoo. We went for a walk together and at first Geoff (my lurcher) was barking, jumping up the car window and all sorts at her cockapoo. I got Geoff out the car, the behaviour continues. I hold Geoff on my right hand on the lead and said cockapoo in my left also on the lead. Geoff stops instantly. 

no barking. No pulling. No apprehensive behaviour. Both dogs walking fine by my side. 

I can understand dogs reasonably well but this behaviour I’m not too sure. Defensive?Scared? Doesn’t trust that I’m the leader and In charge of handling threats?  what do you more experienced lot think that interprets to?I let them both off after a few mins and they were both fine but before this geoff was going nuts yet stopped instantly as soon as I held both leads. He does try to play too tough though. I don’t know if that tells you anything. He’s happy doing his own thing, mooching about but when they started playing I put him back on his lead. Again, not aggressive. He’s just too rough. When me and him have the little play fights he’s rough aswell, like he’s doesn’t know the meaning of gentle. 

It would be much easier to understand if I had him from a pup and knew his past but this is what I signed up for so just gotta play with the cards I’ve been dealt. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, maty j said:

Oh he is a c**t 😂 he’s just like me tbf which winds me up even more 😂 he acts like he’s starved. Drooling over my food yet there’s half a bowl of dry in his 😂

he’s put on weight since I’ve had him. He was much skinnier. I had him in a crate before when I was out the house because he got returned for knocking a tv off the wall all and bouncing on it plus other destructive behaviour which to me was just his separation anxiety. Not knowing if this owner woukd desert him or even return. I totally get where he was coming from so I’ve worked ducking hard to build that bond with him.

I suspect the tv had an animal on it and the other owners were goading him into going after it then clearly didn’t like it when he did. Even now about 10 months in he’ll notice animals on tv and pay attention but in the beginning he’d launch at the tv, bark and snarling. Some people are f***ing clueless so it’s undoing all their bad training 🤦🏼‍♂️ with work he now has the run of the living room and I worked it quickly that if he didn’t have food in his bowl he’ll cause mayhem. The furniture is unscathed but he’s managed to open cupboards and pull items out. Shred paper and documents etc 🙃 he’s a million times better now but it’s taken a lot of work. I’m proud of myself and him but he’s still got abit to go before he’s where I want him to be. 

IMG_5669.jpeg

Don't really know too much about casso's way of dog training, but I would NEVER have a dog resting his head on my lap, staring at my food whilst I'm eating it!!

It looks like he's the boss, mate, and you're OK with it?!!

Get him from you when you're eating your meals.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Don't really know too much about casso's way of dog training, but I would NEVER have a dog resting his head on my lap, staring at my food whilst I'm eating it!!

It looks like he's the boss, mate, and you're OK with it?!!

Get him from you when you're eating your 

Very cruel

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Black neck said:

Very cruel

It's a dog, blacky.  Simple.  They ain't 'one of your kids' or a FACKN FUR BABY ETC ETC, get the c**t off your lap staring at your grub, with it's snout only inches from your food!!

It really is that easy.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, maty j said:

Thanks for them ideas Casso and Comanche. I’ll be trying both of those ideas. 

I think you may be onto something re the fearful dog. If we see any other dogs out he’s watching and acts aggressive. 

weirdly, when I would walk him at the rescue he was fine with other dogs yet since I’ve had him he acts differently so maybe he feels he has to be the protector of someone he loves so doesn’t loose them again? He was returned another time for being aggressive to other dogs apparently. 

However He isn’t aggressive to other dogs. I’ve got a mate who’s got a cockapoo. We went for a walk together and at first Geoff (my lurcher) was barking, jumping up the car window and all sorts at her cockapoo. I got Geoff out the car, the behaviour continues. I hold Geoff on my right hand on the lead and said cockapoo in my left also on the lead. Geoff stops instantly. 

no barking. No pulling. No apprehensive behaviour. Both dogs walking fine by my side. 

I can understand dogs reasonably well but this behaviour I’m not too sure. Defensive?Scared? Doesn’t trust that I’m the leader and In charge of handling threats?  what do you more experienced lot think that interprets to?I let them both off after a few mins and they were both fine but before this geoff was going nuts yet stopped instantly as soon as I held both leads. He does try to play too tough though. I don’t know if that tells you anything. He’s happy doing his own thing, mooching about but when they started playing I put him back on his lead. Again, not aggressive. He’s just too rough. When me and him have the little play fights he’s rough aswell, like he’s doesn’t know the meaning of gentle. 

It would be much easier to understand if I had him from a pup and knew his past but this is what I signed up for so just gotta play with the cards I’ve been dealt. 

You've just about described my lurcher. But mine I've had from a pup. Fear aggression (barking at the tv, other dogs etc) is probably nothing to do with previous owners and is just how the dog is. Perhaps why previous owners gave up on him? As he matures and has more experience, you will see a decline in behaviour but it will always be there... a headache really as you never know how they will react every given day.

Eating rabbits... I'd lay down the law every time he does it, even go as far as leave a whole rabbit out in the yard and chastise if he tries. He only gets to eat anything like that if he first waits for permission. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, shaaark said:

It's a dog, blacky.  Simple.  They ain't 'one of your kids' or a FACKN FUR BABY ETC ETC, get the c**t off your lap staring at your grub, with it's snout only inches from your food!!

It really is that easy.

I wont put up with a dog stood 'hovering' around me or my kids when we are eating....big No,No, in my house👍

• Like 7
19 hours ago, maty j said:

Oh he is a c**t 😂 he’s just like me tbf which winds me up even more 😂 he acts like he’s starved. Drooling over my food yet there’s half a bowl of dry in his 😂

he’s put on weight since I’ve had him. He was much skinnier. I had him in a crate before when I was out the house because he got returned for knocking a tv off the wall all and bouncing on it plus other destructive behaviour which to me was just his separation anxiety. Not knowing if this owner woukd desert him or even return. I totally get where he was coming from so I’ve worked ducking hard to build that bond with him.

I suspect the tv had an animal on it and the other owners were goading him into going after it then clearly didn’t like it when he did. Even now about 10 months in he’ll notice animals on tv and pay attention but in the beginning he’d launch at the tv, bark and snarling. Some people are f***ing clueless so it’s undoing all their bad training 🤦🏼‍♂️ with work he now has the run of the living room and I worked it quickly that if he didn’t have food in his bowl he’ll cause mayhem. The furniture is unscathed but he’s managed to open cupboards and pull items out. Shred paper and documents etc 🙃 he’s a million times better now but it’s taken a lot of work. I’m proud of myself and him but he’s still got abit to go before he’s where I want him to be. 

IMG_5669.jpeg

We and our dogs are all on spectrum somewhere. Reading above reminds me of one of ours who was obsessed with grabbing and sometimes shredding books. Made me wonder if the scent encouraged it. Anyway I had to permanently have a guard in front of the bookcase. BTW he damaged almost nothing else. We can only do our best, but it's very important to do our best

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/12/2023 at 21:22, Peter4190 said:

Sounds like a proper saluki 

A well known coursing man had an exceptional dog called Cye cyclops that caught a lot of hares around this way some years back that was known to start eating the first hare he caught on days out though he did buy the dog as an adult.

14 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Timmyk once had a Lurcher that would bite off and gobble down the head of almost every rabbit it caught. The rest of it was retrieved to hand... 🤔

🤣