Harkila coats

On 04/02/2024 at 20:52, eastcoast said:

Every year I conduct apprenticeship interviews. Potential sparks, plumbers, fitters. The clip of some of the kids who turn up.  Now, I would never judge an applicant based purely on their appearance. But making an effort does make a good 1st impression. An applicant turning up in maybe not the best quality trousers and shoes and a tie or an ill fitting suit borrowed from a mate (I used to borrow suits when needed in times past) or wearing their school uniform gives a better impression than a kid wearing jeans, T shirt and trainers. Something that lots of kids are no longer being taught by schools or by their parents. 

Something that stuck with me 40 years ago, at a school assembly......a visiting Protestant Minister stood on the stage and told the pupils not to look down their nose at church attendees who wear denim jeans to church......that those trousers might be the cleanest, or indeed the ONLY, pair trousers that they owned, but they turned up to worship.  Now, I am the most un-religious  person alive, but that left a lasting impression on me.  It isn't what you wear, it is the fact that you are there. 

A few recent humanist/non-religious funerals have been very uplifting and relevant to the deceased.

On my way back to work at lunchtime today I passed a local funeral home, there as a piper in the full kilt regalia piping someone on their last journey........it was lovely.....xxx

• Like 1

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Carpe diem,you want that coat,you NEED that coat,don’t talk yourself out of it,I knew when I saw your opening post “shall I get it?” YES get the coat,be decisive,you actually like that coat,you know y

Looks a cracking coat....  But imagine snagging it on barbed wire 1st time out, I reckon I'd actually cry... Lol

I'm as tight as cramp. I've been stalking on the estate my mate works on and sleeping on his couch. One of my mates put on a group chat "I'll be surprised if he's wearing his own clothes"...... I look

Posted Images

1 hour ago, littlefish said:

Something that stuck with me 40 years ago, at a school assembly......a visiting Protestant Minister stood on the stage and told the pupils not to look down their nose at church attendees who wear denim jeans to church......that those trousers might be the cleanest, or indeed the ONLY, pair trousers that they owned, but they turned up to worship.  Now, I am the most un-religious  person alive, but that left a lasting impression on me.  It isn't what you wear, it is the fact that you are there. 

A few recent humanist/non-religious funerals have been very uplifting and relevant to the deceased.

On my way back to work at lunchtime today I passed a local funeral home, there as a piper in the full kilt regalia piping someone on their last journey........it was lovely.....xxx

I agree 100%, clothes do not make the man. But I can see how it may have appeared I was meaning that from my words. A piper at a funeral, whether the bagpipes, uilleann or Northumbrian... the most poignant of laments bar none.

Edited by eastcoast
  • Like 2
30 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

I agree 100%, clothes do not make the man. But I can see how it may have appeared I was meaning that from my words. A piper at a funeral, whether the bagpipes, uilleann or Northumbrian... the most poignant of laments bar none.

I often hear songs that bring me back to those who are passed, but that is perhaps for a new thread.....xxx

23 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

The Wind river is canny, windproof fleece, pockets the size of shopping trolleys, mine was made by Sandra, well I think it was Sandra, I'll let you know if it wasn't Sandra

How will you find out an who the fecks Sandra 

9 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

The maker sews a label inside the garment with their name on  

And I can't get used to not living next door to Sandra 

Sandra 

Who the feck is Sandra 

il have a gander now

13 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

The maker sews a label inside the garment with their name on  

And I can't get used to not living next door to Sandra 

Sandra 

Who the feck is Sandra