Hard headed pup

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

🤔 Bedlington hybrids can occasionally be hard work.... Sometimes folk forget the actual Bedlington Terrier connection.. These ancient types were originaly bred to hunt out their quarry in a most

Electric collar mate, I hate these things because people don’t use them propley but when used for correction and done at the right time they can save the dogs life 

Beddy xs can be tough on the old brain at times but once you actually become mates you understand each other and are on the same page the partnership becomes lovely. Something I’ve found over the year

Posted Images

On 07/12/2023 at 14:22, tinder128 said:

Afternoon, 

I'm at my wits end here and wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation.

I bought a pup at 14/15 months old green as grass and in my opinion very immature.

I've been in the game long enough to know there's more chancers than genuinely people selling dogs especially early on in the season but the dog was exactly what I wanted and a reasonable price........bedlington x greyhound.

I have been working tirelessly on recall for the last three weeks absolutely perfect on a long line perfect in the garden but give the little shit that tiny bit of trust let him go he just flicks the middle finger ad will not come back to the point I've actually just started walking away.

I've never come across this much of a problem before but I haven't owned anything with bedlington in it. 

Can anyone offer any advice or maby a method I'm overlooking as I'm really running out of patience.

Many thanks 

I have many ideas. Have you tried the water/electricity method?

• Haha 1
On 07/12/2023 at 13:22, tinder128 said:

Afternoon, 

I'm at my wits end here and wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation.

I bought a pup at 14/15 months old green as grass and in my opinion very immature.

I've been in the game long enough to know there's more chancers than genuinely people selling dogs especially early on in the season but the dog was exactly what I wanted and a reasonable price........bedlington x greyhound.

I have been working tirelessly on recall for the last three weeks absolutely perfect on a long line perfect in the garden but give the little shit that tiny bit of trust let him go he just flicks the middle finger ad will not come back to the point I've actually just started walking away.

I've never come across this much of a problem before but I haven't owned anything with bedlington in it. 

Can anyone offer any advice or maby a method I'm overlooking as I'm really running out of patience.

Many thanks 

🤔 Bedlington hybrids can occasionally be hard work....

Sometimes folk forget the actual Bedlington Terrier connection.. These ancient types were originaly bred to hunt out their quarry in a most relentless way..I recall the late George Newcombe telling me how he frequently lost a dog or two, when out walking on the Moor..

He seemed to accept it as being part and parcel of his style of hunting...😃

Obviously,..most of us cannot be doing with this kind of situation...it invariably ends in tears.

Most dogs (of any type) that possess an extremely high prey drive, will be difficult to handle. 

The schooling of them requires a fair bit of savvy and knowledge from the owner, and this experience and know how, frequenly comes via a whole lot of heart ache...

Nowadays,...I do not need to get involved with hassle from dogs that are quite frankly, 'too hot to handle', and I choose my canine partners very carefully...I wrote , thirty years ago, that Temperament is King, and no matter how physically supreme and capable, a particular running dog might be,...Ya have still got to live with the fecker...😉

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 15
1 hour ago, Black neck said:

Remind us of the electric kennel, the sheet steel floor one not the one wi the probes that was 2 cruel

Noooo 5 phase was too cruel. Fuucked them up it did… My bad ✋

I do believe that if you zap the cnut, you’ll get it’s attention :laugh:

On 08/12/2023 at 19:55, Moll. said:

Found something out with my terrier cross lurcher. Firstly if they've mentally thrown to the terrier you have to change your normal training.

Mine needs his brain rewarded more than anything else. He's highly wired.

I play tug with him, let him get really aggressive with it, rive him all over the place, it stimulates the hard wire in his brain, he will do anything to play it. I save it for big rewards and to keep him wanting it. You need to teach 'leave it' command (with something other than the tug) first though. He is more likely to recall if the reward is something which gives him the mental stimulation he needs...food won't do it.

I think I have what you described she 4months there's a quarter bedlington in her and believe she has a terrier nogin.lol

20231210_154332.jpg.5494bc787fad70f45df9323e3b6f003e.jpg

• Like 1

Lads, laughs aside. We all know my dog is a complete fuucking stubborn headache, obviously so is this one…

Sometimes you push through and it comes together… 

To be clear it hasn’t come together for us and he is still a cnut and I’m gonna go home today and kick him in the balls… for the fun of it! but being accepting could work for our tinder here :laugh: 

On 09/12/2023 at 14:19, OldPhil said:

🤔 Bedlington hybrids can occasionally be hard work....

Sometimes folk forget the actual Bedlington Terrier connection.. These ancient types were originaly bred to hunt out their quarry in a most relentless way..I recall the late George Newcombe telling me how he frequently lost a dog or two, when out walking on the Moor..

He seemed to accept it as being part and parcel of his style of hunting...😃

Obviously,..most of us cannot be doing with this kind of situation...it invariably ends in tears.

Most dogs (of any type) that possess an extremely high prey drive, will be difficult to handle. 

The schooling of them requires a fair bit of savvy and knowledge from the owner, and this experience and know how, frequenly comes via a whole lot of heart ache...

Nowadays,...I do not need to get involved with hassle from dogs that are quite frankly, 'too hot to handle', and I choose my canine partners very carefully...I wrote , thirty years ago, that Temperament is King, and no matter how physically supreme and capable, a particular running dog might be,...Ya have still got to live with the fecker...😉

File0352.jpg

i bet your photo book has some amazing pics in it you can sure capture the moment 

• Like 4

Beddy xs can be tough on the old brain at times but once you actually become mates you understand each other and are on the same page the partnership becomes lovely. Something I’ve found over the years with beddy xs you may or may not have much of a bond but once you start with some work be it a bit of ferreting or a couple of slips on the lamp a bond is starting to be formed and they begin to know what’s expected from them it usually blossoms from there because you are a point of interest to the dog an you get up to some interesting shit together 

• Like 6
33 minutes ago, poxon said:

Beddy xs can be tough on the old brain at times but once you actually become mates you understand each other and are on the same page the partnership becomes lovely. Something I’ve found over the years with beddy xs you may or may not have much of a bond but once you start with some work be it a bit of ferreting or a couple of slips on the lamp a bond is starting to be formed and they begin to know what’s expected from them it usually blossoms from there because you are a point of interest to the dog an you get up to some interesting shit together 

Agreed. Totally. Most of them are annoying as hell until they work out what cool Stuff they can get up to if they work with you as a team. I wouldn’t have a non terrier blooded Lurcher, but they aren’t for everyone 😂 

• Like 2