Freelander 2 vs q5?

Done 16k miles the last 12 months..its on 70k miles now..super reliable and piss easy to work on everything is very basic and parts are cheap..

It's 23yr old now and I recon a brand new range rover out the showroom today would have more problems than the jimny over the next 3yrs..

The same model jimny has been around for 20yrs so plenty of parts about..the only downside is they do suffer from tin worm..

Its like lots of japan made cars they dont have corrosion coatings as they dont use grit salt in japan unlike europe..

20231118_121917.jpg.89646dac62a66aae9720d21475b7e026.jpg

• Like 5

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like the X-Trail this is the second one I've had. Put some town and country style tyres on it take it every where across fields. Fare bit of power and hold the road like its on rails. Loads of room

Best and most reliable thing about the Freelander I had................                     Was the f***ing towbar🙈

Done 16k miles the last 12 months..its on 70k miles now..super reliable and piss easy to work on everything is very basic and parts are cheap.. It's 23yr old now and I recon a brand new range rov

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Dont hear of that too often,them 3.1 lumps are Bombproof....mate used one in his old  defender was a beast and ive seen one in an old Jago ( wrangler jeep copy)..a months a long time? Head needs to be pressure tested etc mind....when its done,it will out last you👍

It's the 3.0 in mine DC, the garage gets them skimmed at another place, all the garages are stowed off with work, I had to ring round 7 or 8 garages some were busy with 6 or more weeks backlog, they're doing the other work that would be needed to pass next mot as well so hopefully worth it 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

It's the 3.0 in mine DC, the garage gets them skimmed at another place, all the garages are stowed off with work, I had to ring round 7 or 8 garages some were busy with 6 or more weeks backlog, they're doing the other work that would be needed to pass next mot as well so hopefully worth it 

The 3.0 is known as a bad engine

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, king said:

Done 16k miles the last 12 months..its on 70k miles now..super reliable and piss easy to work on everything is very basic and parts are cheap..

It's 23yr old now and I recon a brand new range rover out the showroom today would have more problems than the jimny over the next 3yrs..

The same model jimny has been around for 20yrs so plenty of parts about..the only downside is they do suffer from tin worm..

Its like lots of japan made cars they dont have corrosion coatings as they dont use grit salt in japan unlike europe..

20231118_121917.jpg.89646dac62a66aae9720d21475b7e026.jpg

Have you thought about getting it wax oiled?

Just now, low plains drifter said:

Have you thought about getting it wax oiled?

I haven't had that done as it's about £500 I think mate..I have used a good few cans of this underseal though..some oaps owned it before me and rust wise it's very good compared to others I've seen on jimny groups and forums..

Screenshot_20231126_194356_Screwfix.jpg.55a54c6fe9d46ee268f92169eee0b91f.jpg

• Like 2
1 minute ago, king said:

I haven't had that done as it's about £500 I think mate..I have used a good few cans of this underseal though..some oaps owned it before me and rust wise it's very good compared to others I've seen on jimny groups and forums..

Screenshot_20231126_194356_Screwfix.jpg.55a54c6fe9d46ee268f92169eee0b91f.jpg

Do it yourself a tin of waxoyl and a sprayer less han £50 a cheap compressor or even lend one and spray away ..

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Chid said:

Do it yourself a tin of waxoyl and a sprayer less han £50 a cheap compressor or even lend one and spray away ..

It would be a good idea mate to be honest to give it a good coating all underneath..Next summer I might give it a go..I've been wanting a compressor for a number of years I should buy 1..machine mart have a good amount of them..

58 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

I've heard they're not as good as the 3.1, I'd like to get a few more year out of it if possible, it's been ideal for what I've needed it for

They where a decent jeep, just a shame they stopped making them, i always liked the 90s shoguns ttoo

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

Is it easy enough to do yourself mate?, I've heard you've got to careful not to get it on certain parts 

Don't get it on the brakes or exhaust . 

• Like 1

Isuzu are great the troopers are brilliant but getting a bit old now, shoguns good had to scrap mine they rust out badly, the price of pick ups is silly at the minute, my mate just spent 6500£ on a freelander 2, over 100,000 miles on it, just had a new diff I believe was 2000£  turning into an expensive motor. The rangerover are nice but got shocking gearbox, keep from new for 2 yrs then get rid and you should be ok. I’m in the market for a pickup, hilux or l200 prob. I’ve got a disco 3 pickup here ( chopped up job) nice strong  motor but not my style.

2 hours ago, Qbgrey said:

Isuzu are great the troopers are brilliant but getting a bit old now, shoguns good had to scrap mine they rust out badly, the price of pick ups is silly at the minute, my mate just spent 6500£ on a freelander 2, over 100,000 miles on it, just had a new diff I believe was 2000£  turning into an expensive motor. The rangerover are nice but got shocking gearbox, keep from new for 2 yrs then get rid and you should be ok. I’m in the market for a pickup, hilux or l200 prob. I’ve got a disco 3 pickup here ( chopped up job) nice strong  motor but not my style.

I was just looking at a few Hilux, the rot on them is shocking !…..especially under the tub, looked like they have been dipped in the sea !

Id say check for that if you are buying second hand mate.

2 hours ago, WILF said:

I was just looking at a few Hilux, the rot on them is shocking !…..especially under the tub, looked like they have been dipped in the sea !

Id say check for that if you are buying second hand mate.

Yup they do rot, I had a ew one few years back itching but agro with it, Isuzu have always been great but now everything electric and emission friendly they have become unreliable