Obesity

I'm sat in my car outside Tesco watching shoppers go in and out. A good proportion of women are very obese. A lot of them young too. 

I'm not judging anybody but in a few years time many will end up diabetic and at risk from heart attack. People in my family are obese and are in denial. My Mrs has just been diagnosed with diabetes at 71. She has put on 5 stone since we married in 1972 but she was only 7 stone then.  Which ,by the way, was normal for that era. She's not obese but too fat, which puts her off exercise.

The supermarkets and Greggs etc need to address their high sugar,high salt,high carbs products. Children are being brought up on this shit and won't  eat anything which isnt wrapped in colourful packaging.

This sounds preachy,but ffs people will not give fast food or sweets to their dogs,but see their kids as receptacles to pour endless amounts of sweets,fizz and chocolate into.

Obesity is getting worse. Time for a campaign the same as the smoking campaign which has been extremely successful.  I've no time for the nanny state argument. Obesity needs to be taken seriously as it's getting ever worse.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can remember driving a steam roller and of the lad's  made me stop whilst he asked me a daft question. I started up again, felt a bump and all the lad's started screaming and shouting. I looked back

A conservative MP said part of the problem was people don't know how to cook or look after themselves. He was criticised by the left and the media. The issue was dropped. There has never been foo

While I genuinely agree with what Wilf says . I would also add that those dole dossers and people with kids they can't afford do effect the fabric of society even if they don't effect it financially.

Posted Images

its a true encounter is this, please yourself if you dont believe me,  but a few weeks ago i was in basildon hospital for a while, on night duty was this coloured nurse, jamaican or summat, on my first sighting , i couldnt help but gasp, her bum cheeks were huge, she asked what was the matter, i must have been under medication or summat, cos normally i would have kept my thoughts to missen, but i told her, im big boned she replied

• Haha 1

I was looking at picture taken in the local town back in the 1970`s and comparing it to picture taken in the exact same place in the 2020`s, the thing that stood out was there were hardly any fat people in the 1970`s picture and hardly any thin people in the 2020`s one. The thing that has changed is diet, Back in the 70`s meals were mainly meat and 2 veg, The chippy meal was usually a once a week thing, Indians and Chinese's were for special occasions, Most people had a vegetable patch in the gardens and kept chickens. Now not only is most food processed and filled with god knows what to preserve or enhance flavour, It is also available for delivery within minutes. We are going the same was as the Americans, The basics of food and cooking was taught in schools as part of the curriculum, Carbs are causing most of the diabetic issues at the moment, As this cost of living crises deepens this situation is only going to get worse.   

7 minutes ago, paulus said:

I was looking at picture taken in the local town back in the 1970`s and comparing it to picture taken in the exact same place in the 2020`s, the thing that stood out was there were hardly any fat people in the 1970`s picture and hardly any thin people in the 2020`s one. The thing that has changed is diet, Back in the 70`s meals were mainly meat and 2 veg, The chippy meal was usually a once a week thing, Indians and Chinese's were for special occasions, Most people had a vegetable patch in the gardens and kept chickens. Now not only is most food processed and filled with god knows what to preserve or enhance flavour, It is also available for delivery within minutes. We are going the same was as the Americans, The basics of food and cooking was taught in schools as part of the curriculum, Carbs are causing most of the diabetic issues at the moment, As this cost of living crises deepens this situation is only going to get worse.   

I've noticed many social trends which start in America are experienced by the brits a decade of so later.

Eating has  become a major activity in itself. The spread of eating places has been incredible.

I remember going to the cinema when I was teenager. At the end of films they used to run an ad for an Indian restaurant. I could never work out why people would want to go there because I figured surely everybody has had their tea by now. Lol.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, jukel123 said:

I'm sat in my car outside Tesco watching shoppers go in and out. A good proportion of women are very obese. A lot of them young too. 

I'm not judging anybody but in a few years time many will end up diabetic and at risk from heart attack. People in my family are obese and are in denial. My Mrs has just been diagnosed with diabetes at 71. She has put on 5 stone since we married in 1972 but she was only 7 stone then.  Which ,by the way, was normal for that era. She's not obese but too fat, which puts her off exercise.

The supermarkets and Greggs etc need to address their high sugar,high salt,high carbs products. Children are being brought up on this shit and won't  eat anything which isnt wrapped in colourful packaging.

This sounds preachy,but ffs people will not give fast food or sweets to their dogs,but see their kids as receptacles to pour endless amounts of sweets,fizz and chocolate into.

Obesity is getting worse. Time for a campaign the same as the smoking campaign which has been extremely successful.  I've no time for the nanny state argument. Obesity needs to be taken seriously as it's getting ever worse.

A conservative MP said part of the problem was people don't know how to cook or look after themselves. He was criticised by the left and the media. The issue was dropped.

There has never been food shortages. Local markets are full of fresh food, fruit, cheap cuts of meat, fish and veg. 

Remember the mong nurse crying during COVID because the shelves were empty? They were far from empty. 

Personal responsibility has gone out the window. 20 years ago I gave loads of fish and game away in the village. Today if I get someone to post on Facebook for me that I have free fish or pheasants I get 50 abusive responses. Probably the same idiots blaming the Tories for 'cost of living crisis'. Last year I couldn't even give 3lb rainbow trout away. 

Country is fcked. The media are the main issue. 

Bollox to em. Like most on thl I'll get on with looking after mine, knowing eventually we will be left standing when the rest have either starved or eaten themselves to death.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, jukel123 said:

we do not need to be told that there is too much of anything.if i want to eat just fast food and energy drinks all day that is my choice.if people are to f***ing stupid to eat shit all day that is not my problem.soon if people like you get there way we will not be able to eat anything but vegan cardboard burgers,no thank you.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, jukel123 said:

I've noticed many social trends which start in America are experienced by the brits a decade of so later.

Eating has  become a major activity in itself. The spread of eating places has been incredible.

I remember going to the cinema when I was teenager. At the end of films they used to run an ad for an Indian restaurant. I could never work out why people would want to go there because I figured surely everybody has had their tea by now. Lol.

The local town here will soon have nothing to offer but places to eat and drink coffee, visit second hand shops or have you hair and nails done.

The "positive female image" that is being portrayed in advertising is doing women no favours. Fat lasses jumping about and exercising having a great time on an edited bit of film as though it is a normal and healthy thing to be grossly overweight. No it is not. We just do not seem to be capable of honesty anymore. Telling young women that being fat is OK is just as damaging as the old "size 0" model thing. Applicable to men of course, but I don't see many fat blokes in adverts. That's sexist that is, on several different levels.

Edited by eastcoast
  • Like 5
1 minute ago, paulus said:

The local town here will soon have nothing to offer but places to eat and drink coffee, visit second hand shops or have you hair and nails done.

Very true. There's a big debate about whether we should give up on town centre shops and convert them into houses and flats.

Just now, jukel123 said:

Very true. There's a big debate about whether we should give up on town centre shops and convert them into houses and flats.

The thing is though the other town down the road that is actually controlled by another council this town is full of independent shops all thriving, Maybe there's an agenda at play with some councils.

5 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

The "positive female image" that is being portrayed in advertising is doing women no favours. Fat lasses jumping about and exercising having a great time on an edited bit of film as though it a normal and healthy thing to be grossly overweight. No it is not. We just do seem to be capable of honesty anymore. Telling young women that being fat is OK is just as damaging as the old "size 0" model thing. Applicable to men of course, but I don't see many fat blokes in adverts. That's sexist that is, on several different levels.

True that. Big fat birds ice skating while on rag week. 

Should be locked in the coal shed with a bit of straw on the floor. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
8 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

True that. Big fat birds ice skating while on rag week. 

Should be locked in the coal shed with a bit of straw on the floor. 

Not many coal sheds left unfortunately. That could be the answer though, open the pits back up, solving the energy crisis, and send the fat lasses down to work them. Never used to see a fat pitman

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

Not many coal sheds left unfortunately. That could be the answer though, open the pits back up, solving the energy crisis, and send the fat lasses down to work them. Never used to see a fat pitman

Saw some chubby pit brow lasses in Wigan