XL Bully Ban Incoming

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's it... I'm out of here!! 

I'm pretty easy going and tolerant about most things ,but every time I see one of those big fat ugly useless earless bags of shite towing a skinny scruffy trackie wearing waste of space and his tattoo

Here's the common sense approach i.m.o... XL bullies added to the existing DDA. Making it illegal to breed and sell so, in theory no other dogs being added to the existing population. A

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, BGD said:

They've released the official definition of an XL Bully and as suspected this will pretty much cover every single large bull or mastiff breed.

These breeds should have never been allowed to get into the general publics hands. They have or never will have a purpose to own them, Some unscrupulous breeders fell for the cash rather than the breed and fast forward a decade or two and here we are. 

6 minutes ago, keepdiggin said:

The may as well ban

presas

american bulldog 

staffs

etc 

They have banned them in all but name, these laws are done on type so now any dog that fits the definition is in the eyes of the law an XL Bully and so a Section 1 banned breed.

There's been KC registered Staffords seized and destroyed because they were a "pit type", the only thing that matters in determining if a dog is a banned breed or not is the tape measure.

Edited by BGD
  • Like 4
8 hours ago, keepdiggin said:

Apparently government offering £200 if you want to have you’re xl put to sleep 

They done the same with the a.p.b.t. back in 91. It was £50 then. I see there's some rescue shelters already refusing to take these (XL bullies) in. Surprised they're still being advertised for sale to be honest, again, back in the day, the e&m etc stopped taking adds for a.p.b.t's long before the law came into effect...

Yokel

• Like 4
14 hours ago, keepdiggin said:

They’ll be coming for running dogs soon and certain terriers mark my words 

I remember a while back there was an attempt to whip up a panic about bull lurchers all the usual "super crossbreed engineered as killing machines" bollocks but it never really caught on because at the end of the day the average bloke in the street has never had anything to do with them.

I don't think what's happened with these bullies will happen with another breed TBH, it was a perfect storm of lockdown, fashion and folk seeing a quid to be earnt that lead to them exploding across the country and causing enough problems to get the attention of politicians.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, BGD said:

I remember a while back there was an attempt to whip up a panic about bull lurchers all the usual "super crossbreed engineered as killing machines" bollocks but it never really caught on because at the end of the day the average bloke in the street has never had anything to do with them.

I don't think what's happened with these bullies will happen with another breed TBH, it was a perfect storm of lockdown, fashion and folk seeing a quid to be earnt that lead to them exploding across the country and causing enough problems to get the attention of politicians.

I agree, all the factors above have come in to play, doubt it will ever happen again.  The sad thing is, and I say this as a dog man that owns and has owned bull breeds, it had to happen. I don't actually think the clowns that own the majority of xl bulldogs with a view to breeding and coining it in will go on to another breed either. The bubbles burst and the ship has sailed on. Only losers here are the poor sods who will be destroyed as they are no longer deemed profitable.

• Like 2

Like any new law it depends how its actually policed....personally i cant see them going too mad with risky court cases and suchlike,not when theres important crimes like " social media name calling " and general " wrong think " to clamp down on.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
52 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Like any new law it depends how its actually policed....personally i cant see them going too mad with risky court cases and suchlike,not when theres important crimes like " social media name calling " and general " wrong think " to clamp down on.

I imagine it'll be purely reactive with police responding to folk reporting people for having one like it is with the pit bulls, I can't see them getting lists off vets and going round raiding homes like some expect.

22 minutes ago, BGD said:

I imagine it'll be purely reactive with police responding to folk reporting people for having one like it is with the pit bulls, I can't see them getting lists off vets and going round raiding homes like some expect.

I cant be bothered to read through the whole act so maybe you could tell me....is this going to be like the original dda of 91 where any unregistered dog of " type " can be taken ?....if you remember either the first or second ammendment years ago it became the Animal Welfare Act whereby a dog would have to do something wrong/used for the wrong purpose etc to get lifted....is this XL thing purely going to be based on looks or temperament tests as well ?

52 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

I cant be bothered to read through the whole act so maybe you could tell me....is this going to be like the original dda of 91 where any unregistered dog of " type " can be taken ?....if you remember either the first or second ammendment years ago it became the Animal Welfare Act whereby a dog would have to do something wrong/used for the wrong purpose etc to get lifted....is this XL thing purely going to be based on looks or temperament tests as well ?

It's exactly the same as it is with the pit bulls etc, they've just added XL Bullies to the list of banned breeds in Section 1 of the DDA so any dog that is suspected of being of "type" can be taken to be assessed and if it's deemed to be a bully then the owner can apply for exemption and it will be temperament tested etc to decide if they'll be allowed to keep it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

I'm going from memory, the original act was a total ban on breeding, selling, advertising of "pit bull type" dogs. All existing dogs to be neutered, third party insurance,  and muzzled and on the lead in public places. Any contravention of the above would see your dog taken and destroyed.

I can't remember when the amendment came in, late 90's/early 00's I think? But basically it meant if you was caught owning a banned breed, it wouldn't be automatically taken. If the dog was of sound temperament and you adhered to the other rules, neutered/insured etc, you could keep it.

I think they'll hit the tracky wearing Ned's hard and people punting them out for half a year or so, and absolutely throw the book at anyone who's mutt goes on a full blown rampage, then it'll become yesterday's news.....

Yokel 

• Thanks 1