What to look for when choosing a pup

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

🤔Personally,...I don't think we should over-complicate the situation, when selecting a dog for rabbit hunting... Most lurcher types can handle this particular quarry,..obviously, some are better

Get someone else to pick one for u then moan like feck at them if its no good 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Wales1234 said:

I let the misses chose much easier and can over think it sometimes there all bred the same all got same chance 

Might do the same that way when it plays up I can say..... I knew the we should of taken the brindle 😂

13 hours ago, Chaff said:

I'm a big believer in raw feed as well I couldn't believe the difference in the dog both mentally and physically when he came off the dry.

What you looking for with the jaw checking for over or under shot?

Also some one mentioned the colour of the roof of mouth anything in that that you know of

Yeah just checking for over and undershot and I don’t know anything about the colour of the roof of the mouth mate. The raw food is getting expensive now costs me £200 a month to 3 dogs thats with no extra bits like the odd bit of pork and supplements etc.. the price will continue to rise though. 

13 hours ago, Gilbey said:

Why do you feed once a day? Always fed pups lots of small meals, cheers 

I do it as it gets them into routine straight away and its more natural and better for the stomach. For the pup it doesn’t matter too much until they get to about 6 month when they develop their adult teeth so they can chew bone but I feed once per day from the day I get the pup as its more of a personal preference but either way you can’t go wrong mate.

When the pup is old enough to eat a chicken leg then its time to feed it once per day as you need to allow the dog time to digest their food. Give your dog a cod liver capsule and add a teaspoon of raw honey a couple of times a week too. Whilst the pup is less than 6 months you should smash up about a quarter to a third of one calcium tablet (calcium not calcium with D3 or anything else) and put it over their food as they won’t t be consuming enough calcium since they aren’t yet eating bone. The calcium is important at that age as they require enough to ensure their stools are hard. Not enough calcium the dog will have the runs, too much and it will be constipated. Once the pup is eating a chicken leg remove the calcium as they’ll be getting it from the bone. 

Another important thing is never give your dog tap water make sure its river water or filtered to remove fluoride. 

35 minutes ago, Wales1234 said:

Or I just tell the breed to pick me one and il come get it 

Yes if you're 100% in the breeding then the only decision is dog or bitch, did you once own a Hancock type Wales?

I apologise in advance if I have got you mixed up with someone else 👍

40 minutes ago, Lurcher23 said:

Another important thing is never give your dog tap water make sure its river water or filtered to remove fluoride. 

I definitely can relate to that they know it ain't right. mine would drink from garden rainwater bowl in preference to freshly ran tap water,  running stream was the preferred along with a cool off at same time 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Lurcher23 said:

Yeah just checking for over and undershot and I don’t know anything about the colour of the roof of the mouth mate. The raw food is getting expensive now costs me £200 a month to 3 dogs thats with no extra bits like the odd bit of pork and supplements etc.. the price will continue to rise though. 

Yeah about 2 quid a day per dog then how much do they get lurcher 

1lbs?  1/2 lbs?

When I started buying in tripe worked out about 75p to feed mine out of season more during winter.

He was around 60lb in weight 

28 minutes ago, Chaff said:

Yeah about 2 quid a day per dog then how much do they get lurcher 

1lbs?  1/2 lbs?

When I started buying in tripe worked out about 75p to feed mine out of season more during winter.

He was around 60lb in weight 

My lurcher is a Beddy whippet grey she’s small so she doesn’t need much but like you say in the winter increase the amount and add a little lard to increase fat content. You could also increase the fat content of the beef mince in the winter so a higher % fat content, I don’t buy the highest fat content one (25%) anymore, I have used that in the past but the dogs seem to prefer around 15% fat as its leaner and better quality. I’d just eyeball the amount of food so with a good amount of exercise the dog is lean but not too skinny as the dog will lose fitness and in extreme cases leads to a really unfit dog through muscle wastage but that only happens on kibble fed dogs who are given a tiny amount of food. Try 2 chicken legs instead of 1 the dog will probably prefer that with one handful of mince and a handful of rabbit. I use the natures menu raw rabbit and chicken blocks and third one block between 3 dogs then give a chicken leg and mince to each dog. 

3 hours ago, Lurcher23 said:

I do it as it gets them into routine straight away and its more natural and better for the stomach. For the pup it doesn’t matter too much until they get to about 6 month when they develop their adult teeth so they can chew bone but I feed once per day from the day I get the pup as its more of a personal preference but either way you can’t go wrong mate.

When the pup is old enough to eat a chicken leg then its time to feed it once per day as you need to allow the dog time to digest their food. Give your dog a cod liver capsule and add a teaspoon of raw honey a couple of times a week too. Whilst the pup is less than 6 months you should smash up about a quarter to a third of one calcium tablet (calcium not calcium with D3 or anything else) and put it over their food as they won’t t be consuming enough calcium since they aren’t yet eating bone. The calcium is important at that age as they require enough to ensure their stools are hard. Not enough calcium the dog will have the runs, too much and it will be constipated. Once the pup is eating a chicken leg remove the calcium as they’ll be getting it from the bone. 

Thanks for the reply. I'll stick to lots of small meals and just a good varied diet, I don't go down the tablet route. Even give adults a breakfast.

I've got tap water down all the time no bother, that or running water I like the look of 👍

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

Thanks for the reply. I'll stick to lots of small meals and just a good varied diet, I don't go down the tablet route. Even give adults a breakfast.

I've got tap water down all the time no bother, that or running water I like the look of 👍

id never feed a pup once a day ? little and often threw the day 

make it varied with some kibble in there my self  wouldn’t add supplements ever just good varied diet 

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

id never feed a pup once a day ? little and often threw the day 

make it varied with some kibble in there my self  wouldn’t add supplements ever just good varied diet 

You know it, exactly that👍 that's more natural, wild mother's don't just carry back once..