What to look for when choosing a pup

2 minutes ago, paulus said:

Personally. If i was in the market for a pup. !. I would do my homework on the breeding. Temperament and working ability of the sire and Dam. I would make sure the parents and the pups had been looked after properly both in terms of food and vet care if needed. I would ask people who had personally seen all this and be able to verify it, before i even looked at a pup. 

As for choosing a pup. Be methodical and take your time, Providing the litter is sound with no medical issues amongst them, Then pick the pup that you feel most comfortable with. There are no Guarantee's But if you feel drawn to the pup the chances of it making it are greatly increased. 

At 8 weeks old it really is a lottery and all you can do is try to lower the odds of failure. But in my opinion again, more owners fail there dogs than dogs fail there owners. 

Funny old world this dog game. 

cheers Paulus that post makes a lot of sense mate thank you. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

🤔Personally,...I don't think we should over-complicate the situation, when selecting a dog for rabbit hunting... Most lurcher types can handle this particular quarry,..obviously, some are better

Get someone else to pick one for u then moan like feck at them if its no good 

Posted Images

Last lurcher pup I chose didn't do anything by the book. Sent a litter link my pops then went for a brew. Weren’t for him but I decided go and get a pup that night after ringing the ad and 5 min chat. Didn’t think they’d make big enough for me, but biggest in litter still avail. Really well raised and all great condition. He was diff to all the rest no play or anything in him compared to rest of pups and no interaction. Same at home for few days was worried he was a mong and not wired up. I dont mean normal adj/new surroundings I mean vacant 🤣. But come round then full of beans like normal pup.

If they all looked the same and all avail he’d of been my last pick temp wise, why wouldn’t he be. But maybe that first impression boldest etc whatever doesnt give true indication how they’ll turn out. Talking at 8 weeks here obvs a bigger indication older the pup traits locked in more maybe. 

• Like 1

Things 2 look.into besides the working for a dosser like me would be like how are the parent dogs in kennels  and with other dogs is a main un dog aggression anywhere in the line would be avoided like the plague and how they are around quarry ,ok if there always run single like some of these liars reckon  but note worse than a dog standing over summat challenging all and sundry 2 dare even glance at the wretched cadaver 

Alas I digress 🙄

• Like 3

Anyone bred a litter for a pup studied the litter for 8 weeks or so then made a well thought choice,  then passed the rest on, only to find your choice of pup was no where near as good as a sibling that you passed on.

What a pisser, but I guess it still proves your on the right track as far as your choice of sire and dam. 

Can a really good strong bloodline miss a generation as far as producing exceptional litters ?

3 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Things 2 look.into besides the working for a dosser like me would be like how are the parent dogs in kennels  and with other dogs is a main un dog aggression anywhere in the line would be avoided like the plague and how they are around quarry ,ok if there always run single like some of these liars reckon  but note worse than a dog standing over summat challenging all and sundry 2 dare even glance at the wretched cadaver 

Alas I digress 🙄

Hello mate 

Yes I would like avoid too much terrier and collie blood.

They seem very jealous types when quarry on ground.

I have been out with a baddie whippet x collie that stood like a garden ornament in the middle of bury while it all went off around him 

He did have blue eyes though lol

have been out with a baddie whippet x collie that stood like a garden ornament in the middle of bury while it all went off around him 

He did have blue eyes though lol

I say that tounge in cheek but he didnt get a look in, but yeah he was a snapper as well 

24 minutes ago, Chaff said:

Anyone bred a litter for a pup studied the litter for 8 weeks or so then made a well thought choice,  then passed the rest on, only to find your choice of pup was no where near as good as a sibling that you passed on.

What a pisser, but I guess it still proves your on the right track as far as your choice of sire and dam. 

Can a really good strong bloodline miss a generation as far as producing exceptional litters ?

I bred a litter a good few years ago, a bull/whippet bitch to a bull grey/collie grey. The first pup born i had to get out of the sack, his first breath was a growl at me, i kept the f****r just for that. made an half decent dog in the end. 

1 minute ago, Gilbey said:

Real good dog men have kept the wrong pup back. Racing folk have let the fastest go 🤷🏻‍♂️ can think of a few dogs that have been taken back to the breeder or moved about then gone on to be well known real uns 

Why do you think they turned gooduns, change of environment ? smaller kennels or gone in house perhaps could be any reason I suppose 

Cant take anything for granted in this game even if you have the right well bred litter in front of you.

But first you got to get past all the schiesters along the way.

It's a funny old game for sure

21 minutes ago, Chaff said:

Hello mate 

Yes I would like avoid too much terrier and collie blood.

They seem very jealous types when quarry on ground.

I have been out with a baddie whippet x collie that stood like a garden ornament in the middle of bury while it all went off around him 

He did have blue eyes though lol

Any type or breed can be like it even collie types have been known 2 fight over ownership of a passing fiat uno

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Black neck said:

That's what I ment I think terry

Yea I know mate. This old git nearly took my nose off one day. I couldn,t get him in back car and I went to just drag the bugger in and he flew at me. I twigged then it was the rabbit I had thrown on the floor lol. Had his teeth against my nose lol. Nearly marched him straight to vets. He did mellow with age though and I miss the grumpy old git

IMG_4500.JPG

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, paulus said:

I bred a litter a good few years ago, a bull/whippet bitch to a bull grey/collie grey. The first pup born i had to get out of the sack, his first breath was a growl at me, i kept the f****r just for that. made an half decent dog in the end. 

Brilliant that mate had me + mrs laughing