Produce your own.........

7 hatched, moved 5 to brooder, left 2 in incubator to dry out more as only hatched this afternoon. 2 eggs don't think will hatch now.

7 out of 10 from our first batch of home grown is a better hatch rate than we had from other people eggs so well happy.

20240202_165512.jpg

20240202_165748.jpg

20240202_170010.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to be a big up take for threads on off grid living or self sustainability so thought I would stick it in here lads because the 'living of land and game cooking' section doesn't get much traffic

Well, I have promised some cooked produce photos. Tonight's tea, double pork chops....... Bloody gorgeous and now I am stuffed! Genuinly have grown to appreciate food more. We have all got u

Ohhhh yesss!!!!

Posted Images

Tonight was first pork joints. Got some pics before but not after. Did 2, a slow cooked shoulder with skin and fat removed pre-cook for crackling. A roasted shoulder joint with crackling on. They were both amazing. Not just saying it but so much depth in flavour, texture was better, crackling off of both was amazing and I collected the fat for future use, aiming for as little waste as possible 👌.

20240203_104933.jpg

20240203_105016.jpg

20240203_223151.jpg

• Like 11
  • 3 weeks later...

Done same again lads.....didn't get an after pic! To eager to get stuck in.

Unbelievable difference in meat. Plenty of fat on it but the type that makes the meat melt in your mouth. Crackling on another level too!

I will get a cooked pic one day 😅😅😅

• Like 3

Well my first set of hatching eggs sold for £20+6p&p for half a dozen. Worth doing if they keep going for that sort of money!

Got 10eggs in incubator that are due to hatch today/tomorrow, got 8 that have pipped already so looking good 🤞

Screenshot_20240303_154937_eBay.jpg

20240303_152419.jpg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ryaldinhio said:

Well my first set of hatching eggs sold for £20+6p&p for half a dozen. Worth doing if they keep going for that sort of money!

Got 10eggs in incubator that are due to hatch today/tomorrow, got 8 that have pipped already so looking good 🤞

Screenshot_20240303_154937_eBay.jpg

20240303_152419.jpg

Do you eat the birds too?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Do you eat the birds too?

Planning to now that I have built up the number of birds I have. I've got 7 chicks in brooder at minute they are about 4week old. Will keep a few of them for laying then rest will be for sale or table. The ones that are hatching today are going in my growing pen for sale or the table.

I'm planning on getting a bigger incubator to do 24 eggs at a time with the plan of growing batches for the table, have a cull day get em all cleaned and sorted and in freezer.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, ryaldinhio said:

Planning to now that I have built up the number of birds I have. I've got 7 chicks in brooder at minute they are about 4week old. Will keep a few of them for laying then rest will be for sale or table. The ones that are hatching today are going in my growing pen for sale or the table.

I'm planning on getting a bigger incubator to do 24 eggs at a time with the plan of growing batches for the table, have a cull day get em all cleaned and sorted and in freezer.

Stick up pics of the oven prep and how they turn out cooked, + taste compared to others

• Like 1
1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

That’s not bad how much is bag of layers now I’m completely out of touch as not owned any chickens since 2017?

£8 for 20kg at my supplier.

Ive had all my birds on wheat through the winter but the chicks I bred last year are starting to lay , so time to get them on the layers pellets.

Cheers.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

That’s not bad how much is bag of layers now I’m completely out of touch as not owned any chickens since 2017?

I pay about £12.50 for 25kg.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, ryaldinhio said:

I pay about £12.50 for 25kg.

So with selling eggs as hatching eggs it’s still profitable 👍

it would be interesting to see how well they sell in next couple of months as it can be a fad hobby with certain breeds being popular and fetching big money then waning away year or two later  👍

• Like 1
1 hour ago, steve t said:

Do light Sussex Cockerells make a decent eating bird

Yes

• Like 1
1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

So with selling eggs as hatching eggs it’s still profitable 👍

it would be interesting to see how well they sell in next couple of months as it can be a fad hobby with certain breeds being popular and fetching big money then waning away year or two later  👍

Guna see how we go, I'm hoping to cover costs, anything extra would be a bonus. Bear in mind a 25kg sack has been lasting me a month I don't think it'll be too hard to cover cost.

• Like 1