Produce your own.........

Not much gone on this weekend because I've been tryna get this van sorted!

Went to see abbottoir/butcher yesterday and I think this is the pigs last week, all being well they are going for the chop next Monday 15th. Still trying to decide about getting another two grown on before I turn it to veg plot or whether to just wait now till back end of summer. Think I am guna wait to be fair. Really wet and muddy underfoot so chucked the pigs some more hay in for their last week, probably end up raking most of this up when they go amd sticking it in composter.

Getting a couple of eggs a day off the hens now, I expect this to start increasing. Was hoping to get some nesting boxes knocked up this weekend but didn't get round to it, need to sort em sharpish though so they know where to lay. Cockerell is doing his duty with the girls so guna get a dozen eggs in the incubator and see what fertility is like.

Ordered an auto open/close door for the hen house to ease the requirement for me to be in/home on dark etc.

The two turkeys are.due for cull as soon as I get some spare time to do it. Might be one evening this week, depends how work goes.

Garlic and one set of onions coming on well, bottom corner of second pic.

Got big chest freezer coming back this week ready for the pork....looking forward to first roast and first sausages off em.

20240107_141140.jpg

20240107_141153.jpg

• Like 7

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to be a big up take for threads on off grid living or self sustainability so thought I would stick it in here lads because the 'living of land and game cooking' section doesn't get much traffic

Ohhhh yesss!!!!

Posted Images

Love this thread absolute admiration to you mate, your out there and doing something about improving  your life,and I recon the kids have a lot more to talk about at school than most of there class mates on a Monday, brilliant 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
47 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Love this thread absolute admiration to you mate, your out there and doing something about improving  your life,and I recon the kids have a lot more to talk about at school than most of there class mates on a Monday, brilliant 

Appreciate that GM. I am trying to show them what can be achieved on a relatively small space. They will have more to talk about but the sad fact is that will probably make them the wierd ones as they aren't on FB all weekend! Little lad is ready to tell everyone how he plucked and processed his own turkey for Xmas dinner!😅

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Just be careful with the auto door I’ve known them come down and poultry get stranded outside then become temptation for the fox still pays to check their all roosting happily  tbh .

Yeah will be checking it mate, certainly for first few weeks make sure it is set up right.

Just with work sometimes I'm home late so I'd rather have it shut than waiting for me!

• Like 2

Put a dozen eggs in incubator, these are from our own birds so suck it and see with fertility rate to start. This is the start of my chicken production line for meat now, will be Incubating 12 every 6weeks. That is so as the brooder becomes available the next set of chicks are straight in it then the ones from brooder will move outside for 6 weeks. I plan to cull a couple at 12wk and see what they are like, if they are too small I will grow them on longer. It would be ideal if they make a good enough size for the table at 12wk old because that would fit into the 6wk cycle, I.e. cull the 12wk birds so the ones from the brooder can move into the pen..... but I doubt they will be large enough, we will see.

20240111_180712.jpg

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, ryaldinhio said:

Put a dozen eggs in incubator, these are from our own birds so suck it and see with fertility rate to start. This is the start of my chicken production line for meat now, will be Incubating 12 every 6weeks. That is so as the brooder becomes available the next set of chicks are straight in it then the ones from brooder will move outside for 6 weeks. I plan to cull a couple at 12wk and see what they are like, if they are too small I will grow them on longer. It would be ideal if they make a good enough size for the table at 12wk old because that would fit into the 6wk cycle, I.e. cull the 12wk birds so the ones from the brooder can move into the pen..... but I doubt they will be large enough, we will see.

20240111_180712.jpg

Fed right a 12 week old chicken can be table ready .. depends what breed your using 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Chid said:

Fed right a 12 week old chicken can be table ready .. depends what breed your using 

I think broilers or cobbs would be fine. I've gone for light sussex for dual purpose so I'm unsure how they will be ar 12 weeks, maybe take a little longer. 

9 minutes ago, ryaldinhio said:

I think broilers or cobbs would be fine. I've gone for light sussex for dual purpose so I'm unsure how they will be ar 12 weeks, maybe take a little longer. 

Light Sussex probably need another 6 weeks . Id still give one or 2 a go at 12 week see what they are like . 

• Like 1