Produce your own.........

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to be a big up take for threads on off grid living or self sustainability so thought I would stick it in here lads because the 'living of land and game cooking' section doesn't get much traffic

Ohhhh yesss!!!!

Posted Images

7 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Well don't think did too bad of a job with these three. I was guessing with the string and just tieing them in, assuming there is a knack or method to it so guna look into that. One of em looks like its being held f***ing hostage!

My lad got involved as always 👌

20231223_171106.jpg

20231223_171113.jpg

20231223_173019.jpg

20231223_174803.jpg

20231223_161131.jpg

Looks like you're into a bit of bondage 🤣

• Haha 2
13 hours ago, waltjnr said:

A mates just finished killing 4600 birds ,says they hang 8 to 10 days before gutting ,and back in the chiller for up to 2 weeks ,he started at beginning of the month

Used to be 12-14 with guts in. In the chiller obvs. Ours lived on grass and scrub land., they were moved onto fresh pasture fortnightly. They were then finished on apples for the 4-5 weeks, this was about a gallon bucket per day, plus growers pellet add lib. Fat as butter, little to no basting.

Haven't done them for 8 years. I paid £80 today for a 5kg Norfolk Bronze reared the same way by my neighbour.

• Like 2

Turned out bang on lads. Great flavour and it was moist, unlike any turkey I have had before. Homemade gravy with the juices and giblets. Felt like it's all been worth it already. Then to top it off one of the hens is now laying full sized eggs too, Merry Christmas!

20231225_114038.jpg

IMG-20231225-WA0017.jpeg

• Like 14
51 minutes ago, keepdiggin said:

Going t raise my own Turkey next year when would you recommend getting them?

If your killing at 26 week old work back the weeks and that's when you want to buy one .. July/August I think when the FiL got his the last time he raised them 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Chid said:

If your killing at 26 week old work back the weeks and that's when you want to buy one .. July/August I think when the FiL got his the last time he raised them 

Thinking back he might of only reared till 18 week . Next time I see him I'll ask 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, keepdiggin said:

Going t raise my own Turkey next year when would you recommend getting them?

These were hatched mid/late Aug and made 9-11lb birds once dressed. If you want a big un I'd say get em in May/June. For me this size was perfect though. Plenty of meat, good fat on em to keep em moist. 8 turkeys at 10lb go through some feed like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1