Produce your own.........

1 minute ago, paul sr said:

36 minutes ago, ryaldinhio said:

A few pics of the pigs. They have filled out well and are ready to go really.

Screenshot_20231210_142941_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231210_142953_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231210_143002_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231210_143025_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231210_143034_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231210_143045_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231210_143244_Gallery.jpg

If you give the pigs a bottle of guinness or a glass of red wine in there feed for about 8 to 10 days before they are slaughtered it will add to the flavour of the meat.

• Like 1

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to be a big up take for threads on off grid living or self sustainability so thought I would stick it in here lads because the 'living of land and game cooking' section doesn't get much traffic

Ohhhh yesss!!!!

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, Chaff said:

Is it a fixed price for kill and butcher and you get them back in bags of ready to cook pork.

Been quoted 25quid each pig for slaughter and cut down middle, so 50quid and could collect 4 half pigs. The place I want to use hasn't given me a quote yet on butchery, it depends on what you want, if you want sausages etc (which I do) then price goes up.

Not really sure what to base it on but I expect a skilled butcher would have job done in an hour. Sausages take more time grinding mixing etc and cost of casing which is where the cost is.

I had in my head a couple hundred quid all in for both pigs and plenty of sausages....Will let you know when I find out!

• Like 4
2 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Been quoted 25quid each pig for slaughter and cut down middle, so 50quid and could collect 4 half pigs. The place I want to use hasn't given me a quote yet on butchery, it depends on what you want, if you want sausages etc (which I do) then price goes up.

Not really sure what to base it on but I expect a skilled butcher would have job done in an hour. Sausages take more time grinding mixing etc and cost of casing which is where the cost is.

I had in my head a couple hundred quid all in for both pigs and plenty of sausages....Will let you know when I find out!

An old pal of mine owned  what was probably the last old fashioned game butchers in Newcastle. I told him how I butchered roe; he said he would do them for free for me. I asked what was in it for him. He said I waste so much, he could still give me more meat from a carcass and have enough left for venison sausages and burgers to make a few quid.

Always best to leave it to the professionals!

Cheers.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, chartpolski said:

An old pal of mine owned  what was probably the last old fashioned game butchers in Newcastle. I told him how I butchered roe; he said he would do them for free for me. I asked what was in it for him. He said I waste so much, he could still give me more meat from a carcass and have enough left for venison sausages and burgers to make a few quid.

Always best to leave it to the professionals!

Cheers.

Exactly why I want to pay a butcher mate rather than DIY. That was always my intention. Want to maximise what I get from these.👍👍

• Like 1
2 hours ago, chartpolski said:

An old pal of mine owned  what was probably the last old fashioned game butchers in Newcastle. 

Grainger market?I remember all the pheasants,rabbits and hares hanging up alongside a couple of deer.

1 minute ago, mackem said:

Grainger market?I remember all the pheasants,rabbits and hares hanging up alongside a couple of deer.

Yeah, Kettlewells. Bob is a pal of mine he retired and sold the business on to a lad I know from Burradon. It stopped being a “real” game dealers many years ago. I well remember the hares, rabbits, birds hanging outside the shop when it was at the south end of the market, but it went more mainstream when it moved to the east of the market.

I used to get all my dog food from there, Bob would bring it to his house in west Denton and I’d pick it up once a month. 
Id also get the odd pigs head that had been on counter display but you never see that at a butchers now, it mostly comes in pre butchered in the Grainger Market now.

Cheers.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

That’s cheap for killing mate, €50 each here.

Im going to have a go at butchering my own next time.

Cant be bothered with the rigmarole of home killing, for 50 notes it’s not worth the hassle.

Grinding pork will kill most mincers available in shops, I know because I’ve tried, that’s a job for a proper commercial mincer. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, WILF said:

That’s cheap for killing mate, €50 each here.

Im going to have a go at butchering my own next time.

Cant be bothered with the rigmarole of home killing, for 50 notes it’s not worth the hassle.

Grinding pork will kill most mincers available in shops, I know because I’ve tried, that’s a job for a proper commercial mincer. 

How's your place coming on wilf? Think last I saw you had just got them black faced sheep, did you end up getting cattle/pigs?

1 hour ago, ryaldinhio said:

How's your place coming on wilf? Think last I saw you had just got them black faced sheep, did you end up getting cattle/pigs?

I didn't want to over winter pigs and cattle mate so I’m waiting until the spring to get some more of those, those rams are keeping the grass cut and I’ll sell the smallest and keep the biggest in the springtime.

I need my fields cut before I re-string the electric anyway and they are way too wet to get onto at the moment and that will be the case for a few months yet. 

I will add a few foster lambs at lambing time, some for keeping and some for eating.

I’ve done the heart before head thing so I’m giving it a go the other way round now after 18 months off ! Lol 

Got my smokehouse sorted, it’s a redundant boiler house that I tidied up and it’s just the job….all proper concrete block and render construction with a concrete slab roof that has a chimney. 
Looking forward to having a go at that. 

Edited by WILF
  • Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...

Well having come home from lodging last night had a nice surprise this morning.....First eggs 🥚 

I wasn't expecting any until spring but seems the recent warm spell might have nudged them to start producing. Doubt it will continue if the temps drop again but its another milestone. These will be eaters until probably march then will start incubating a dozen every 6 weeks. Depending on fertility rate I may end up getting a bigger incubator.

20231220_073832.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1