Produce your own.........

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to be a big up take for threads on off grid living or self sustainability so thought I would stick it in here lads because the 'living of land and game cooking' section doesn't get much traffic

Well, I have promised some cooked produce photos. Tonight's tea, double pork chops....... Bloody gorgeous and now I am stuffed! Genuinly have grown to appreciate food more. We have all got u

Ohhhh yesss!!!!

Posted Images

One of the other things I have been considering is bee keeping alongside the veg plots. I've got my name down for a course in early 24 with Doncaster Bee Keeping association. I found out one of their members is actually someone I know of in the village so popped along to see him today had a good chat about it all, very interesting topic! There is nothing to do or see at the minute as the bees are dormant until spring. Anyways, came away with a few jars of honey and a new contact for that venture if I go for it. Sampled some of this local 'raw' honey when I got home and it's bloody lovely!!!

20231029_184306.jpg

• Like 10
1 minute ago, ryaldinhio said:

One of the other things I have been considering is bee keeping alongside the veg plots. I've got my name down for a course in early 24 with Doncaster Bee Keeping association. I found out one of their members is actually someone I know of in the village so popped along to see him today had a good chat about it all, very interesting topic! There is nothing to do or see at the minute as the bees are dormant until spring. Anyways, came away with a few jars of honey and a new contact for that venture if I go for it. Sampled some of this local 'raw' honey when I got home and it's bloody lovely!!!

20231029_184306.jpg

Been thinking of the same myself mate.

Contacted the local bee keepers thingy the other year but they made it sound all hard and technical and a I thought f**k all that.

I thought you just basically got a hive and bees and cracked on (a bit more than that I know but it’s not flying the space shuttle like these c**ts would have you believe) 

So I’m going to go for it this spring and just find out myself without the input of nerds. 
Keep us posted on here, teach me a thing or two.

cheers 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, WILF said:

Been thinking of the same myself mate.

Contacted the local bee keepers thingy the other year but they made it sound all hard and technical and a I thought f**k all that.

I thought you just basically got a hive and bees and cracked on (a bit more than that I know but it’s not flying the space shuttle like these c**ts would have you believe) 

So I’m going to go for it this spring and just find out myself without the input of nerds. 
Keep us posted on here, teach me a thing or two.

cheers 

My thoughts were the same pal. Get a hive, get a queen/swarm and majority of time leave em too it......Will let you know if I find out any different!

• Like 1

Wife had bees for 3 years they is alot of work involved and its very complex, started with a nuc then ended up with 9 hives ha , honey was amazing but a lot of work involved,  she had a very bad reaction to a sting and had to give it up a shame really,  she says best book for a new comer to get is the Haynes Manual of bee keeping 

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, vfr400boy said:

Wife had bees for 3 years they is alot of work involved and its very complex, started with a nuc then ended up with 9 hives ha , honey was amazing but a lot of work involved,  she had a very bad reaction to a sting and had to give it up a shame really,  she says best book for a new comer to get is the Haynes Manual of bee keeping 

Does she have the book or any of the clobber left pal?

We kept native black bees they were very Hardy. Most of stuff b keepers do is for swarm control. We never bothered just kept them and let them get on with it after all they've been doing it long before humans got involved. Just took some honey for ourselves in autumn left them plenty. No feeding No varoa control and it worked fine for a good few years.

• Like 5
17 hours ago, steve t said:

We kept native black bees they were very Hardy. Most of stuff b keepers do is for swarm control. We never bothered just kept them and let them get on with it after all they've been doing it long before humans got involved. Just took some honey for ourselves in autumn left them plenty. No feeding No varoa control and it worked fine for a good few years.

Heard some where  that ya need to be licensed  or  registered  to have  bees , is this true 

1 hour ago, wildman said:

Heard some where  that ya need to be licensed  or  registered  to have  bees , is this true 

I’m not sure, but a few years ago I looked into keeping bees on my allotment.

The council said I would have to do a bee keeping course but they would pay for it.

They also said all the other allotment holders would have to sign a letter saying it was ok with them , but one old woman who hated everyone refused to sign.

Thete was also a rule about having netting a certain height around the hive area.

In the end I gave up the idea.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Been knocking about today, pigs and poultry coming in well. Got 2 little raised beds with garlic and onion sets in. Might be a bit late but time will tell. My lad loves it, not afraid to get stuck in. Better than being on computer or tablet all day!

20231105_143825.jpg

20231105_143832.jpg

20231105_145329.jpg

• Like 4