Chicken tractor in the UK

Just out of curiosity, for people keeping chickens over there in the UK , are chicken tractors popular or even a thing ? Was discussing this design for my new build ( usually build hoop styles but with the cost of metal and got curious about building one out of wood and A frames seem the easiest)

Btw for thos who don't know chick tractors after basically just portable enclosures commonly used by people with small properties and alternative agriculture types.  You just pick them up and move them every few days so they get fresh grass and stuff. Loved mine because I don't have a stinking chicken run and it kept tem protected from hawks and cats and stuff

editedb-9232_orig.jpg.7c4bf94ff47e9bc28dd55c0a5bde8468.jpg

Edited by Wolfdog91
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

Some of the old farm yard ones iv'e seen sat rotting in old barns and never for sale  have been total works of art and very grand things indeed..

Edited by fireman
2 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Just out of curiosity, for people keep ing chickens of there , are tractors popular or even a thing ? Was discussing this design for my new build and got curious

editedb-9232_orig.jpg.7c4bf94ff47e9bc28dd55c0a5bde8468.jpg

Yeah, sometimes they have wheels , some just have a lifting handle at each corner.  516C3CFF-5A41-4083-85B8-D4C401B5A81E.jpeg.abb778039ae62ea0a4d89b860961caca.jpeg

62E62F7E-308C-4739-B710-B4069F9F0DEB.jpeg.daa01d07021fd82792ea6a6fa05dd814.jpeg

Cheers.

• Like 1

There is a similar design used for rabbits  called the Morant Ark. It's named after Major Morant a retired Victorian Army Officer .

He didn't actually invented the ark , just built some to his own  design and promoted a system of outdoor rabbit rearing that also bears his name . 

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...

They're not as common in the UK as they are in some other places, but they're definitely gaining traction (pun intended!). Using wood and A frames sounds like a solid alternative. Plus, there's something satisfying about crafting something with your own hands, right? I've found chicken tractors to be a game-changer, especially if you don't have a massive property. It's like a mini chicken RV, giving them fresh pastures while keeping them safe from predators. Speaking of keeping our feathered friends happy and healthy, it's crucial to feed them right. I stumbled upon this great resource about proper chicken diets: https://expertchicken.com/unraveling-the-diet-of-chickens-can-they-eat-grapes-tomatoes-and-bananas . It's amazing how much a balanced diet can impact their well-being.

Edited by Buzzeryn
On 01/07/2023 at 22:25, comanche said:

There is a similar design used for rabbits  called the Morant Ark. It's named after Major Morant a retired Victorian Army Officer .

He didn't actually invented the ark , just built some to his own  design and promoted a system of outdoor rabbit rearing that also bears his name . 

WWW.SCRIBD.COM

asdf