Long nets for ferreting

I can't understand the slack bottom line either,, a couple of inches maybe but when it's yards ? it's very strange indeed, fks up the net so it does ,, fk setting with a wind that line will rise and blow around like an old torn pair of Y Fronts ,, I've re-rigged quite a few nets with the same problem you have ,,  as you say it doesn't take long to sort but I'd rather not have that problem to start with . 

Regards.

• Like 3

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think he’s stopped making them, one of our team uses them and rang about a new one, but unfortunately he’s not making them now. I’ve used rabbit fever nets for the past 2 seasons with no complaints,

I can't understand the slack bottom line either,, a couple of inches maybe but when it's yards ? it's very strange indeed, fks up the net so it does ,, fk setting with a wind that line will rise and b

I said about uneven ground...instead of having the bottom line tight and going over a hump and having gap underneath...you just drop the peg short a few inches...and tighten the top line by twisting a

Worst net in the market is he still putting every pole through the nest and attaching with electric tape  we call them the ghost nets rabbits just run underneath  them cgot a video some where of the rabbits running under it f..king joke 

4 hours ago, nothernlite said:

Worst net in the market is he still putting every pole through the nest and attaching with electric tape  we call them the ghost nets rabbits just run underneath  them cgot a video some where of the rabbits running under it f..king joke 

Yes that as well...the middle poles threaded through  the mesh...can't understand that either...

Like I said though to be fair he did say he would re do them...he told me that's how they use them and he's caught 3000 rabbits this last season and not lost one under the net...I said behave...

Second rabbit to hit the net tangled for a second and before I got to it went under the net...thing is I'm on sites now 5 days a week ferreting ...and it's very easy to be made look stupid when folk are watching..

I've got nets here off Brinded...Alan salmon..and two other guys...I think one is bill snedon...and the other fella...I've got a handmade net I made....and even an old one off kps nets.....not one has a slack bottom line

5 hours ago, netrigger said:

I can't understand the slack bottom line either,, a couple of inches maybe but when it's yards ? it's very strange indeed, fks up the net so it does ,, fk setting with a wind that line will rise and blow around like an old torn pair of Y Fronts ,, I've re-rigged quite a few nets with the same problem you have ,,  as you say it doesn't take long to sort but I'd rather not have that problem to start with . 

Regards.

I said about uneven ground...instead of having the bottom line tight and going over a hump and having gap underneath...you just drop the peg short a few inches...and tighten the top line by twisting a few times round the top of the peg..that way the bottom line hugs the ground..

The hole idea for a long net is for the mesh/bag...to run freely along both running lines...it can't do that with a slack bottom line

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, TOMO said:

Yes that as well...the middle poles threaded through  the mesh...can't understand that either...

Like I said though to be fair he did say he would re do them...he told me that's how they use them and he's caught 3000 rabbits this last season and not lost one under the net...I said behave...

Second rabbit to hit the net tangled for a second and before I got to it went under the net...thing is I'm on sites now 5 days a week ferreting ...and it's very easy to be made look stupid when folk are watching..

I've got nets here off Brinded...Alan salmon..and two other guys...I think one is bill snedon...and the other fella...I've got a handmade net I made....and even an old one off kps nets.....not one has a slack bottom line

Wouldn't touch his nets les Nelson is the best on market plus the cheapest seen that piss on fb as well 3 000 rabbits that was 2999 people with his longnets

2 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

Wouldn't touch his nets les Nelson is the best on market plus the cheapest seen that piss on fb as well 3 000 rabbits that was 2999 people with his longnets

Yes that's the other bloke who's nets we have les Nelson....is he still doing them...didn't he pack up?

4 minutes ago, TOMO said:

Yes that's the other bloke who's nets we have les Nelson....is he still doing them...didn't he pack up?

Tomo he's still doing them had him up fishing for a few days 3 or 4  weeks ago think he's in hiding cause I put him to shame lol do you want me to get in touch with him for you ?

Edited by nothernlite
2 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

Tomo he's still doing them had him up fishing for a few days 3 or 4  weeks ago think he's in hiding cause I put him to shame lol do you want me to get in touch with him for you ?

To bloody late now...lol

Next time I'm wanting some more I will contact you...cheers mate

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

The 25, yarders I had off Les that you picked up work a treat,ive got no complaints, infact the nets I had off Netrigger work even better lol ?

Edited by brambles
25 minutes ago, brambles said:

The 25, yarders I had off Les that you picked up work a treat,ive got no complaints, infact the nets I had off Netrigger work even better lol ?

Nettrigger is one of the best on this island  if not the best ? ( mind that freebie mate) lol

• Haha 1
On 30/06/2023 at 22:55, TOMO said:

but who's ever heard of a slack bottom line?

Sometimes I ran a slack bottom line on a trad net at night. I was not doing football fields so I had ruts where machinery had gone through gates etc and I would set the line slack just for this bit keep the line tighter for the rest. I would imagine it might lift on big winds but I was out longnetting often in that sort of weather.