Card payments

..... personally I think cashless payments are a terrible idea and I'll stay away from card machines as long as possible...

....but the Mrs has a stall she's doing a few shows with (dog and pet stuff) and she obviously needs to get set up.

Does anyone use a card payment machine/system and if so what company do you recommend?

I was chatting to a small shopkeeper who complained that her card machine company charges her £300 a month to process payments. I've noticed a lot of small businesses have a  cash only policy. I thought it was to avoid tax but it may be  because of punishing card charges. Or a combination of those two factors?

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 3
27 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

I was chatting to a small shopkeeper who complained that her card machine company charges her £300 a month to process payments. I've noticed a lot of small businesses have a  cash only policy. I thought it was to avoid tax but it may be  because of punishing card charges. Or a combination of those two factors?

I believe there are some really cheap card systems out there now....£300 sounds madness. Woman on next stall to my Mrs today had one and she was charged 1% of sales which isn't bad I'd say, forgot to ask her which she uses though.

I don't take card payments because I just refuse to pay middle men wherever possible.... and I provide a service they need so they have to work around me. And I'm against cashless society.  The Mrs reckons she could of doubled her sales today if she had taken cards, so I guess she can't avoid it going forward.

• Like 2

I use Barclay Card in my business. I have 2 cradles and 2 hand sets for when it gets busy. I held off for a good while, then started taking card payments a few years ago. Takings went up, people are inclined to spend more by card. Because when it's just a tap of a card, customers are more inclined to say o give us one of them as well and such like. I now average roughly 50% card and 50% cash sales daily . It's the way forward in today's society.  Yet I am old school and always been a cash man myself. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

Justt confirmed with the boss the 1% is only on instant withdrawals, if you allow 3/5 days then you don't get charged 

Is there an upfront charge?

21 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

I believe there are some really cheap card systems out there now....£300 sounds madness. Woman on next stall to my Mrs today had one and she was charged 1% of sales which isn't bad I'd say, forgot to ask her which she uses though.

I don't take card payments because I just refuse to pay middle men wherever possible.... and I provide a service they need so they have to work around me. And I'm against cashless society.  The Mrs reckons she could of doubled her sales today if she had taken cards, so I guess she can't avoid it going forward.

Going forward? 

I recognise you didn't write moving forward, but still ffuck off you gunt, you'll be promoting a cashless society next, Krugerrand and sovereign stash or not

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, low plains drifter said:

Going forward? 

I recognise you didn't write moving forward, but still ffuck off you gunt, you'll be promoting a cashless society next, Krugerrand and sovereign stash or not

Moving forward I'm going to start paying for stuff with an apple watch ?